WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A New Beginning

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default A New Beginning

To all my wonderful friends:

It is with mixed emotions that I write this post, but after many sleepless nights, and after giving the matter much thought, I have reached a rather pivotal decision in my life.

I will be thru-hiking the Trail this year, and will be leaving from Springer next week. Regrettably, Miss Janet's House will be closing early this season, but will hopefully re-open at a future date. I'm sorry to disappoint so many people, but there are other fine accomodations for hikers in Erwin, including another excellent hostel located conveniently close to the A.T. Trailhead.

I understand that this decision will disappoint many of my friends, including the friends I haven't yet met, but my decision is final. So instead of trying to change my mind, I hope you can all wish me luck on this journey that I've been thinking about for so very long.

I hope to see many of you on the Trail this year, and am very excited about seeing you as a thru-hiker!

I love you all!

---Miss Janet

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default That's WAY COOL ...

No mixed emotions on this end. That's great news there Miss Janet. Have the time of your life and keep an eye out for old Footslogger. You just never know when and where I might pop up. Sure hope you can get to Damascus for Trail Days. Will look forward to seeing you there and in the meantime here's wishing you all the best for a safe and wonderful hike.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Miss Janet

Yahoo!! Go for it, Janet. It will truly change your life in ways no one can predict. What an adventure!

Jack Thomas

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet

I will be thru-hiking the Trail this year, and will be leaving from Springer next week.
    Ha! Everybody knows it's April Fools Day!
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 04-01-2004 at 22:04. Reason: Cuz I forgot it was April Fools, and she got me good! But by editing my post no one will ever know I fell for it!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Way To Go!

I think this is awesome news Miss Janet. I look forward to seeing you up the trail. All the best on your adventure.

Forrest Phil
    Forrest Phil

Default trail journal

Miss Janet,
    I hope you keep a journal on trailjournals.com I would love to follow your hike. I have never met you in person, but your reputation of kindness and generosity is famous. Have a super hike. Congratulations!

Wonderful news!

I only hope that you find at least a fraction of the friendship on the trail that you have given it over the last 10 years.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Am I the only one who remembered what day this is?

Nevertheless, if this is indeed bona fide, it's time for the dancing banana!
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Images

Janet I was at your house last APRIL FOOLS
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

What a wonderful decision. I hope and trust all will go well with your home in your absense. I know that you will have a great time and a great deal more insight to the struggles of those who hike and those who support hikers.

Take pictures and write a good journal. I hope to see you at the next SORUCK!

OrangeBug

I admit that I have been duped.

I re-read the original post. And as for you, Miss Janet, you were the first to make it through my 1 April defenses.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Good luck Miss Janet! Hope you are shown some of the magic you’ve given out. I enjoyed a visit with you in October 2002. Here is a pic(http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1) you took of me after the Apple Fest when you dropped me in Damascus for a section hike…I will be on the trail next week around Hot Springs. ....or ya got me!
    Kevin

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default The REAL New Beginning!

Actually Folks, My hike plans are the same as they always are. I hope to hike about 30 miles this year... a few miles at a time! The deal has always been that you guys do the long distance hiking... then tell me ALL ABOUT IT!!

Rumours like this get started when your friends really love you and find you whiteblaze account open!

The real New Beginning is for BJ. Some of you know that this is the traditional start date for Baltimore Jack's past hikes. This year he is not hiking. Most of you do not know that he will soon be having knee replacement surgery. Yes, Jack with GOOD KNEES!! I know, this is a scary thought. He will be flying uphills on his next 7 thruhikes... no more stumbles on the big downhills... no more bandages?? What will happen next!!

I'm sorry to disappoint so many people, but there are other fine accomodations for hikers in Erwin, including another excellent hostel located conveniently close to the A.T. Trailhead.
    Bwah-hah-hah-hah hah hahahahahahahaha! (gasp, cough) Har har har har!

I'd have bought it lock, stock and barrel without that one line!
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Images

Actually Folks, My hike plans are the same as they always are. I hope to hike about 30 miles this year... a few miles at a time! The deal has always been that you guys do the long distance hiking... then tell me ALL ABOUT IT!!

Rumours like this get started when your friends really love you and find you whiteblaze account open!

The real New Beginning is for BJ. Some of you know that this is the traditional start date for Baltimore Jack's past hikes. This year he is not hiking. Most of you do not know that he will soon be having knee replacement surgery. Yes, Jack with GOOD KNEES!! I know, this is a scary thought. He will be flying uphills on his next 7 thruhikes... no more stumbles on the big downhills... no more bandages?? What will happen next!!

Remind me to sell my Duct Tape stock!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default hikin'!

To all my wonderful friends:

It is with mixed emotions that I write this post, ........
    I will be thru-hiking the Trail this year, and will be leaving from Springer next week.........seeing you as a thru-hiker!I love you all!---Miss Janet

Good Luck with your hike Miss Janet!
    Maybe we'll see you out there on the trail! .........i'll be the one carrying a 100lb backpack......

APRIL FOOL!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Default Janet's retraction

Good thing my son (Patco) told me about the April Fool nature of the announcement, or I would have been making journal entries in the shelters to inform north bounders. I'm so gullible!

Images

I would like to see the kind of Trail magic Miss Janet would recieve if she were to thru-hike. I envision hoards of people sitting at road crossings with bbqs, music, beverages and a cushy van! I could see her having groupies!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miss Janet
    I'm sorry to disappoint so many people, but there are other fine accomodations for hikers in Erwin, including another excellent hostel located conveniently close to the A.T. Trailhead.

Bwah-hah-hah-hah hah hahahahahahahaha! (gasp, cough) Har har har har!

I'd have bought it lock, stock and barrel without that one line! End Quote.

Same here. I was along for the ride.
    Then I read that and thought <cue Irish accent>
    "OOOOhhhhhh, and I'll suppose he'll be doing your mail drops for ye too, will 'e?"

sogullibletoe

[QUOTE=Miss Janet]To all my wonderful friends:

It is with mixed emotions that I write this post, but after many sleepless nights, and after giving the matter much thought, I have reached a rather pivotal decision in my life.

Hi Ms janet;

Love you. I laughed and laughed, suspoecting that you were joshing. rusty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++