WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Hiking poll: religious / Non religious ~ You may choose more than one.

Voters
175. This poll is closed
  • Hike for religious or spiritual reasons / Closeness.

46 26.29%
  • Have found religion or spiritual awareness while hiking.

42 24.00%
  • Hike because the trail is there.

59 33.71%
  • Recovering from a dependency.

8 4.57%
  • Get closer to nature.

89 50.86%
  • Find the inner self.

45 25.71%
  • Get away from life’s troubles.

59 33.71%
  • Get away from people.

53 30.29%
  • All of the above.

26 14.86%
  • None of the above.

18 10.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Hiking for religious/spiritual reasons?

I've heard heard that some sizable percentage of people (maybe 10%) of people who hike the AT do so for religious or spiritual reasons. This includes all kinds: Christian Missionaries, recovering alcoholics in search of a higher power, Buddhists, Hare Krishnas, Born Agains, Muslims, and various other pilgrims of all kinds. I find this fascinating, and inspiring.

What's your story? Are you hiking to become closer to God, or to nature? (Do you see a distinction there?) Are you hiking to 'find' yourself, or to overcome that kind of thinking? Or do you "hike just to hike," which is in itself a philosophical stance (a la Zen variety).

A little bit about me: I spent some time as Buddhist monk in Burma (for a brief time), and spent another 6 months in Bodh Gaya, India, learning walking meditation. The "long green tunnel" is, for me, an opporunity to more closely observe myself and my surroundings, to live in the everchanging present. In doing so, i hope to watch those constructed identities (self, other, nature) break down, if only in some small way. If there's a modicum of clarity and peace and balance out there in the woods, I want to find it. (Plus I have always loved the Appalachians, ever since I was nine or ten years old...)

How about you?

Note-Poll was developed by member Tom Alan and later added w/permission of OP-Alligator
    Last edited by Alligator; 11-21-2008 at 10:58. Reason: Added poll

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chronicler View Post
    If there's a modicum of clarity and peace and balance out there in the woods, I want to find it.

How about you?
    there's no zen in the mountains except for what you bring

Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze, Chronicler!

To me, hiking is a gigantic Be Here Now experience.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I have always thought of hiking as in part a walking meditation, one foot in front of the other, getting into a groove. David

I certainly hike to get closer to nature.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

i hike for buffets

Images

Never met anyone hiking for spiritual reasons. Everyone I know hikes for the sensory stimulation
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

I seek to be closer to God in all that I do, including hiking. I find myself naturally praising God more when appreciating His awesome creation while backpacking.

Images

I hike to get away from people who knock on my door asking for money for Jesus. Jesus doesn't need my money.

Images

Just one word to add to Summit: AMEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i hike for buffets
    Wouldn't it be easier to drive? Or ride a bike?

Atheist. Hike to get away from people. But, hike for whatever reasons you want. I feel closer to nature when I am in the woods. Because I am closer to nature.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to drive? Or ride a bike?

But you won't be as hungry.

Images

A good buffet can be a religious experience.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Journal Entries
    Images

When I first began to hike I was just running away from life and its problems. As I walked I realized there was something bigger. As I walked a little more I began to see me as I really am. And then I met Him........

I agree with Summit!
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

We live in a fast paced world that is full of artificial stimulation. We have lost a connection with the natural world with all of our techno toys and gadgets. Many of our young today view this artificiality as the real world.
    I have always fought against this, and have constantly searched out a separate reality. I find it while hiking, camping, hunting, fishing,canoeing, stargazing, etc. To me Nature is real. Man cannot replicate Nature in any meaningful way. Something greater than man has provided this separate reality. Being close to and participating with the natural world brings one closer to this "Greatness".
    Moses

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I seek to be closer to God in all that I do, including hiking. I find myself naturally praising God more when appreciating His awesome creation while backpacking.
    I'm with Summit... for me there's a spiritual dimension to everything that I do and spending time in the backcountry allows me to sharpen my focus and reflect on my relationship with God. That said, I will repost an excerpt from an earlier post that I made related to this subject. In that post I said the following.....

I often wonder why I long to be out in the wilderness and backcountry for extended periods of time. I mean as a man, I love my wife and children and would miss them terribly if I was to remove myself from their company for a long time.....So why would I desire to engage in an activity that would result in loneliness in my life? A good question that I’m not sure I have a good answer for. I do think that part of it is the serenity that God brings to the soul of a man through the wilderness experience. I was reading in Isaiah 55:12-13 this morning where God tells us that He will allow the mountains and hills to break forth with shouts of joy and the trees of the field will clap their hands. I honestly believe that God sends us special "postcards" when we are out in the remote areas of His creation and we can experience Him in ways the normal societal environment will not allow. I remember climbing to the summit of Cloud Peak in the Big Horn Mountain range and looking at the vast mountain ranges and saying to myself that surely the finger of God has carved out these majestic mountains. So did the mountains shout for joy that day on Cloud Peak as the prophet Isaiah said? In many ways I’d say so... While my human relationships play a critical role in who I am, I am of the belief that my wilderness experiences help me view God in a way that brings serenity in my life and helps make my human relationships more meaningful. Even though the downfall mankind messed up a whole lot of things in this world, God was very generous in what He chose to leave for us to experience.

I don't know if that answers your question but it's probably the best example that I can give you off hand to try to explain the spiritual impact that such journeys have in my life......
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Images

Summit summed up my feelings completely. Aaroniguana, I'm sorry that you had that experience, I've personally never had anyone knock on my door to get money for Jesus. You are so right, He doesn't need your money. I can't imagine anyone doing that. But, I have given money to "missionaries" asking for donations for various stores. Only God knows if they are legitimate, but if they are, I support them.

Images

Default balance

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dragon View Post
    there's no zen in the mountains except for what you bring
    Assuming "zen" is something personally defineable, then its definitely there in the mountains. I think Chronicler has it right, the mountains, the trail, etc. offer an opportunity for balance and clarity of thought. Lots of folks here talk about how it helps "clear their head" and its certainly a way to disconnect from the trappings of life in our "flat" world.

I'm not religious, but I do feel the spirit of God in them thar hills.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++