WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default jobs...economy...the end of 2009

For people committed to a 2009 thru hike...Just wondering thoughts and concerns on the employment or lack thereof that is expected to continue well into 2009. I know personally when we complete our hike we won't have a lot of extra funds to fall back on...our hopes were a month or two of locating jobs...and we have coverage for a few more after that... but I am concerned about what a possible double digit unemployment figure at the end of 2009 would mean for folks who haven't worked in six months.
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Ironically, I'll begin my thru-hike when I lose my job. It's the only thing holding me back.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Trying to predict the economy that far into the future is nearly impossible. Enjoy the hike...there will always be some kind of short term employment opportunity for those who are not "picky" about what they do for a living.

Besides, you are going to want to hike again the following season.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Trying to predict that far into the future is nearly impossible.
    I work for the state of New Jersey. My prediction of me losing my job soon is a certainty!
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

It all depends on what kind of work you do, your marketability and education. Personally, I've never thru-hiked, but wouldn't sweat it too much. I'm a nurse, so there are jobs everywhere.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Default Pct

if there is no job when u get back, there is always the PCT
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I'm a waiter so...my jobs are a dime a dozen by my calculations. Also the summer is slow time for restaurants around my area, no beach, so given the right opportunity I hope to ask for a leave of absence for 5 months from March to end of July or so, But it might be based around if Marje get's laid off from her job. So many schedules to consider, my brain hurts...why did you ask me this right now? Today? WHY!!??!!??

Images

Seems you are certain you are loosing your NJ State job. Employment picture in March is not going to be any better for you than waiting 6 months. Go for the hike. But make sure you committ in your mind to the hike. Who knows what can happen while you hike. Take the chance, enjoy the adventure.

traildust

Images

this is why i love the trail (and white blaze)...the realization that life is in the now, so you mind as well enjoy it...hit the trail my friend...some people will tell you, "do that cause the A.T. ain't goin' anywhere"...i'd say the opposite, do the A.T. cause the rest of the world ain't goin' anywhere...really, the biggest thing that will change is you...

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hard to predict the future, though I am having a hard time selling my AT book to publishers because of money fears. They love the idea about a mom and son on the trail, but it's money woes and turning a profit for them.

But enjoy your hike and let tomorrow take care of itself.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

too many AT books on the market

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

Finishing the AT will only enhance your resume. The ability to complete a thru hike is something that an employer will likely appreciate.

as to the economy ain't going nowhere but in the tank.

I just fired an employee two weeks ago and have no plans to replace him in the near term.

peace
    mf

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

I am unaware of any from mom / teen son Christian perspective. There are none in the Christian publishing market (CBA mainly) either. I write Christian fiction anyway -so looking to broaden into the non fiction realm. Still hoping it works out. If not I'll do what others have done and go POD with it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    That's what I was told by a book editor I met on the trail in 1993. Then came the Bryson phenomenon.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mother's Finest View Post
    Finishing the AT will only enhance your resume. The ability to complete a thru hike is something that an employer will likely appreciate.

as to the economy ain't going nowhere but in the tank.

I just fired an employee two weeks ago and have no plans to replace him in the near term.

peace
    mf
    Right now no one is hiring where I live. The only reason I got a seasonal job was because of my hike this year. Granted I am a cashier at Bass Pro, but they just like that mentality of people working there.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    That's what I was told by a book editor I met on the trail in 1993. Then came the Bryson phenomenon.
    Different perspective.

Former thru-hikers write for other thru-hikers. They gain the approval, approbation and appreciation of other thru-hikers, but only a few hikers buy books, and the general population isn't attracted by writing filled with stuff only an insider can understand.

Bryson wrote for the general population, the exact opposite of what most thru-hikers do. So he alienated the tiny WB market and attracted the millions who buy books that they find interesting and entertaining.

There is always room for an entertaining read about the AT if it gives a look at the AT from the perspective of an outsider. Once a writer takes the incestuous route of writing with an insiders viewpoint, he's lost the battle as far as finding a mainstream publisher goes.
    Frosty

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Different perspective.

Former thru-hikers write for other thru-hikers. They gain the approval, approbation and appreciation of other thru-hikers, but only a few hikers buy books, and the general population isn't attracted by writing filled with stuff only an insider can understand.

Bryson wrote for the general population, the exact opposite of what most thru-hikers do. So he alienated the tiny WB market and attracted the millions who buy books that they find interesting and entertaining.

There is always room for an entertaining read about the AT if it gives a look at the AT from the perspective of an outsider. Once a writer takes the incestuous route of writing with an insiders viewpoint, he's lost the battle as far as finding a mainstream publisher goes.
    I don't disagree. But a book is a chore. I produced three chapters, and interested a publisher.

But I wasn't up on all the latest stuff. And a "consultant" I suspect told the likely editor that I didn't know enough to sustain the kind of book they wanted.

I've since joined trailplace and white blaze. I now know as much or more as anyone about the gear that a thru hiker "needs."

But somehow the whole idea no longer strikes me as interesting. So you guys are going to have to figure out how to hike wisely all by yourselves.

Weary

I'm a 09'er, I love economics... therefore I have thought about this once or twice. I have also just gradated from college (great timing huh!)

Like mentioned before it depends on a few things like education and your flexibility. Healthcare and alternative energy are really good segments to be in at this moment. Also some of the greatest companies were formed during recessions and the depression.

As for myself...I'll be going back to school for my masters. I see it more as an investment in myself rather than a $50,000 (approx) student loan bill.

BTW: Trail economics would be a great discussion thread
    "Impossible just takes a little longer"

Some experience hiking can lead to jobs if you play it right. Today I started volunteering at the local BLM hiking the horse trails with their GPS to make their maps accurate. The experience could lead to paid work of that nature if I wanted to go in that direction. A background in long distance hiking is a plus in many jobs with the BLM and Forest Service. But I'm retired, so I just do it for fun.

++ New Posts ++