WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Raincovers are they worth it?

Are pack rain covers wroth it? I stopped using one years ago as water still got in sometimes. The thing is I wasn't walking for months at a time then and in March I will be. Do any work? Which kind?

I pack my clothing in a drybag and my sleeping bag and down are in plastic bags their stuff sacks.

Thanks

Images

Lightbulb

Personal preference. HYOH, so to speak.

An alternative is a trash compactor bag, which you can put inside your pack for some or all its contents. Protects better if you fall into a stream. Double duty as a plastic bag in camp. I use mine sometimes to put my wet boots/shoes in the bottom of my sleeping bag so they don't freeze. Did it this weekend, in fact. Works great.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I use a 4 ounce sil-nylon pack cover...it might not keep all the water out but it will keep the pack body and things strapped to the outside "dry". Water weight adds up.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i think they are worthless. used them for years but always had wet stuff. i started using large black garbage bags like the ones you put leaves in. they work so much better.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I pack a "ShamWow," kinda. It's not the one on TV with that smarmy little pissant talking like a jersey-city thug, but it's similar. I've had it for 4 years now. Soaks up every damn drop, Wrings Completely Dry and weighs next to nothing, I double it up as an Ass-Pad for sitting on the cold ground and stuff them in my shoes to dry them.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I just use a trash bag as liner.

Find pack covers are a bit heavy for what they do - collect rain water.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I just throw a light poncho over my pack when it rains. Haven't had to much touble as everything in my pack is in a waterproof bag anyways.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

It's not the one on TV with that smarmy little pissant talking like a jersey-city thug
    LOL, how do you really feel? He is pretty smarmy though isn't he. THe towels do work though, I carry one with me and also use one to wipe down the motorcycle.
    Papa John

Quote Originally Posted by gonewalkabout View Post
    Are pack rain covers wroth it?
    more worth it than water filters and leki poles

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've tried an internal plastic bag but found that water managed to wend its way into the bottom of my pack, and while the contents stayed dry, I was carrying a cup or two of extra water weight.

I use a 2-ounce silnyl pack cover, but I've enhanced it by taking the extra drawcord string at the bottom and hooking it into a mini-biner at the top; plus the same arrangement from side-to-side, resulting in the two cords crossing in the middle of my back. I don't feel the cords at all, but this arrangement keeps the cover tight to my pack and prevents the parachute effect, at the expense of another ounce of weight.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by gonewalkabout View Post
    Are pack rain covers wroth it?
    Absolutely.

First line of defense even if you use other "systems" inside your bag.

Images

Keep doing what you're doing. Adding a rain cover doesn't take the place of other precautions, it adds a layer of protection. It also keeps your pack itself from absorbing as much water and becoming heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Find pack covers are a bit heavy for what they do - collect rain water.
    I use the pack cover which is made for my pack. Collects no water and keeps everything dry.

My wife used a "generic" pack cover for her bag. It collects a lot of water.

From this I've concluded that the correct fit is key.

Not necessary. Just like Gatorade bottles usually make more sense than Nalgenes, trashbags, make more sense than packcovers. One on the inside of the pack and one on the outside is all that is needed. Pretty much just need the one on the outside is enough, but the second bag weighs so little and adds protection, it's probably best to carry two and a backup.
    Yahtzee

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I should also add, my actual pack is very light and does not absorb water as much as traditional packs.

I have not used a pack cover personally in quite some time, probably over 10 yrs. (FWIW).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I keep my compressed sleeping bag inside a garbage bag as well as an extra pair of socks, shorts and a T-shirt. I've had pretty good results with my pack cover but I don't like to take chances I'll be sleeping in a rain-soaked bag. I guess I like the redundancy system and it's weight I'm willing to carry.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I should also add, my actual pack is very light and does not absorb water as much as traditional packs.

I have not used a pack cover personally in quite some time, probably over 10 yrs. (FWIW).
    On the AT this year, I hiked without a pack cover and got lots of questions about it. I used a trash compactor bag as a liner. Like Mags, my pack is silnylon and does not absorb water. Most hikers who asked realized that they use the pack cover to keep the heavy nylon pack dry, because they get so much heavier when waterlogged.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Yeah, I always have a pack cover with me. Weighs 3 ounces and keeps everything dry. It's worth carrying IMO.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    LOL, how do you really feel? He is pretty smarmy though isn't he.
    I wouldn't yield to him in a crosswalk. I loathe that kid. Somehow he shows up on all the channels I watch, I bet my TV schedule hits every slot of his.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

I got a pack cover for Christmas last year. Since I didn't buy it, I think it's worth it. It does seem to do the job, it's small and only weighs 3 ounces. So far, I like it, but it's not one of those things that I consider essential.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++