WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Default Inflatable Thermarest (Military Surplus)

I don't see a lot of people hiking with the Self-Inflating Thermarests (maybe its just my circles of friends?) but I absolutely love my thermarest.

I got it from eBay for $10 (+$5 shipping,) You can currently get it for about $23 from this guy. It measures 20"x72" and weighs 26oz. It's printed right into the fabric that it's made by Thermarest, Under contract with the US Military, and it has an NSN number.

I fold it in half lengthwise then roll it all the way up, it's slightly bigger than the size of my head (as seen here, top of pack, behind my head.)

Are other pads comfier? I fold the Top-1/3rd over the Middle-1/3rd to double up on the upper-body softness (I sleep on my side 100% of the time) and my feet are on the ground (I sleep with cold feet) and I find this to be perfect, But I've never tried the other stuffs (other than that blue foam padding, which sucked.

Are the Closed Cell Foam Pads Lighter? Have I just happened on a combo that works for me?

Thoughts / Opinions are d
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

I've used a thermarest for years and lots of people I know use them. I have never seen them that cheep though. Good site.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

They're never advertised as the Thermarest brand, I find them using the NSN number, Otherwise there'd be a $20+ markup... And they only come in Olive Drab

And I suppose a lot of people are put off by the fact it says "Military Surplus," but lets face it, you're sleeping on it, not making out with it, you've got worse funks to worry about then what your back is pressed against (through a sleeping bag most times, too)

Images

If it's really only 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick like on the listing, then it's thinner than most other self inflating pads. I have 1.0 and 2.0 inch pads, the 2 is noticeably more comfortable but not that much heavier.

If it works for you, great. awesome deal.

Garlic
    Images

When I started my long-distance hiking career on the PCT, I saw very few inflatable pads. One good reason was durability, especially in the desert. I just got used to a Z-rest (closed cell) and really came to appreciate its durability and reliability. They can be trimmed down to torso size, too, and can easily get as light as 6 oz, a real plus for ultralight hikers. I sold my Thermarest, not light enough or reliable enough for me anymore. On the AT, I saw quite a few inflatable pads, at least with section hikers.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TomWc View Post
    If it's really only 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick like on the listing, then it's thinner than most other self inflating pads.
    It self-inflates to that thickness. Mine inflates to an Inch thick when I force-blow into it, and like I said, I fold the top 1/3rd over so I have 2" thick at my upper body, 1" thick at my waist and nadda for my feetses

Images

Shouldn't I be able to pick up one of these at army/navy store? I've never seen inflatables at my local store. Thanks for the link!

Images

The army inflatables have a good chance of being overinflated many times from people blowing them up. The one they gave me had bubbles all over it where the fabric came apart from the foam. I would have rather had a CCF pad.

++ New Posts ++