WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 5x8 or 8x10 Tarp

First, let me start by saying that I am new to "tarping" I LOVE the idea of simplicity yet versatility. Since I am new to tarping I wonder if I could get some help making a decision. For a solo hiker is the 5x8 foot tarp better or an 8x10 footer? For those that have an 8x10 tarp (made of silnylon) how much does it weigh? If you have a 5x8 silnylon tarp, how much does it weigh?

Thanks,
    Cameron

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i dont tarp. i sleep under the stars or in a tent. but i've tarped before. but in my opinion something between these two sizes would be best. 5x8 is too small on both dimensions. but im 6'4" and the thought of having just 10 inches on either side of me, head and foot, is not enough to keep rain off me for the 8' dimension. the 5' dimension is not enough to pitch it low enough to the ground and have adequate internal height. but the 8x10 is probably too much. my ideal tarp would probably be 7x8.

but given the two choices you pose, id go with the 8x10 even for solo hikes.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

An 8' x 10' weighs close to 19oz in silnylon. A 5' x 8' weighs about 9.5oz.
    I use a trapezoidal tarp 9' long x 7' wide (front) x 5' wide (rear) and that's about as small as I, personally, would condider going (an MLD sinNylon tarp in this size would weigh around 10oz). A 5' x 8' would be a real "stretch" for first time tarping.

My suggestion is the 8X10, and I generally use a tarp. The 8X10 I bought from Campmor is 13 ounces. I wouldn't use a 5x8, but might consider a square one either 8ft or 9ft whenever I need to replace the one I have.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

For a beginning tarper, I'd suggest an 8 by 10 silnylon like Alligator mentioned. Great coverage, light and cheap. What more can you ask for.

8X10 for sure. 10X10 would be even better. The sides have to be long enough to reach pretty much to the ground when its set up high enough to sit up under it. 8 feet long only gives you about a foot on each end if your 6 foot or there abouts. That can be marginal depending on which way the wind is blowing the rain. Having some way to close off the ends would be a big help, leaving you with essentually a floorless tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    An 8' x 10' weighs close to 19oz in silnylon. A 5' x 8' weighs about 9.5oz....
    I think you may have mixed up the 8X10 weight with a 10X12.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    First, let me start by saying that I am new to "tarping" I LOVE the idea of simplicity yet versatility. Since I am new to tarping I wonder if I could get some help making a decision. For a solo hiker is the 5x8 foot tarp better or an 8x10 footer? For those that have an 8x10 tarp (made of silnylon) how much does it weigh? If you have a 5x8 silnylon tarp, how much does it weigh?

Thanks,
    Cameron

I wouldn't even consider a 5x8 tarp for a moment. That means that you'll only have 2.5 feet of material on each side of you, which isn't much at all.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

My current tarp is 6.5' x 8.5' and weighs 7.9 ounces.

Images

I have used both extensively. If you haven't tarped, I would HIGLY recommend the 8x10. It has a much larger "sweet spot" of coverage in bad weather. Basically, start with the 8x10, get some experience in bad weather, then work down to the 5x8. (And now I use a 6x10 -- splits the difference.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've gotten alot of mileage out of my 4'x8' poncho/tarp, weighs about 8oz. I just got a new one on sale, little fancier, little bigger, 5'x9', weighs about 11oz. Both are very packable. I've still been using the 4'x8' for day hikes with a wool blanket as a picnic ground sheet as its a little more packable and I'm not so worried about trashing it.

I recommend starting with a simple poncho/tarp. 4'x8' or 5'x9'. As a tarp I use it lengthwise with just 2 pegs at my foot end and 2 cords to a low spruce tree branch at the head end. This allows you to sit up. Doesn't give you much protection from wind and blowing rain, but in thick woods this is not so critical as it would be in more open areas or along the shore. I use a simple bivy bag with it to protect my sleeping bag. I might try a larger tarp some day, but I will still probably use my poncho/tarp and bivy bag alot. I'm not saving much weight. I just like how I can crash anywhere and it feels closer to nature.

I use it with a full length and wide blue foam pad, 72"x28", no ground sheet.
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 11-21-2008 at 21:14. Reason: merged posts together

I often use an 8X10. It's luxurious for one, very usable for two and a dog. I set it with one corner up, three pegged down, and a lift line somewhere in the middle. I prefer this to a tent, absent bugs.

Long ago I used a 6X8 tarp for two in a torrential rain . We got a night's sleep, barely.

Big is good.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I use a Crazy Creek Tarp. 10' X 12'. I like to to hang it up between 2 trees, set up in a "A" frame style tent. I can raise up one side to have a lean-to type shelter or I can raise the side panel in the center, stake out the ends on that side to form a 5 sided shelter. I like to put a large bed of leaves under a ground tarp to sleep on and to stay dry during the rain.

A tarp this size will allow plenty of room for you and all of your gear ( plenty of room for 2 people & gear). I will use my tarp during in the Spring and again in the Fall. I tent in the Summer due to bugs and in the Winter when cold (use a convertable tent).

I think you will really like using a tarp.
    Happy Trails,
    Chip
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

Sil nylon, 15oz., 10' x10'...plenty big for 2 people, a palace for 1 person, can stand under the high end...square is FAR easier to work with.
    Why go smaller?

geek

I've used a silnylon puncho about 5x8 10 oz. too small too close to ground i.e. short, hard to get in and out. I've ussaly us a n 8x10 16 oz. perfect size for one to two people. Keep in mind a tarp has a larger foot print than a convational tent and may be hard to set up in the "trees". When using tarps or tarp tents always carry some extra line incase you can't get a stake in or to stay.

Eight feet is a little short. I'd look at something like this:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...a2140439335a92

There are certainly cheaper options. I just like this one, but, because I already have a tarp for my HH hammock and a 10x12 tarp which I've used to hammock in the winter, this would just be an unjustifiable expense for me.
    Oh. Of the two sizes you asked about, I'd go for the 8x10. I've used my 9.5x5 foot poncho as a tarp and it's a little tight when buttoned down for bad weather. I also wouldn't use it without my 6.5 oz. bivy (both from Mountain Laurel Designs).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Go buy a couple cheap blue tarps. The kind you cover stuff with. Notice size vs finished size.

You can judge for yourself.

Images

Played with a 5' x 8' ID poncho for a while, trying to see if I could make it work for a shelter. Basic conclusion I came to was there ain't no way that's gonna work for me.

YMMV.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I am going to strike a balance and get a 6x9 tarp. (if they exist. Anyone know where I can find brown or OD Green silnylon? I want to make my own. (I know how to sew)

Thanks,
    Cameron

Since I can't figure out how to EDIT my post, I want to make a quick correction. I think I will go with a 7'x9' tarp. Seems to strike the best balance between roomy, but not too much "extra" weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++