WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

www.thru-hiker.com sells silnylon. Not sure about green. Gray is a nice color, though.

The Campmor 8x10 sil tarp is green. You could do what I did and cut two feet off one side to get a 6x10 tarp.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Go buy a couple cheap blue tarps. The kind you cover stuff with. Notice size vs finished size.

You can judge for yourself.
    That's good advice. Before I switched to a tarp, I took a cheap blue one out to see how it worked.

Then you might consider these options.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    www.thru-hiker.com sells silnylon. Not sure about green. Gray is a nice color, though.

The Campmor 8x10 sil tarp is green. You could do what I did and cut two feet off fone side to get a 6x10 tarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    Since I can't figure out how to EDIT my post, I want to make a quick correction. I think I will go with a 7'x9' tarp. Seems to strike the best balance between roomy, but not too much "extra" weight.
    You only get a few minutes to edit unless you are a donating member then it is something like 10 days.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

The supply for brown and OD silnylon seems to have dried up. I, too, would like to know if anyone knows where to find it.

Cameron,
    6' wide is still pretty narrow if you need to put the sides down. You might consider 7' by 9.5' or 10' - the size I prefer for my solo tarp when ground camping. For a hammock and 9X5 is OK, but that is a different beast.

4mil poly plastic or a blue tarp are both good ways to test the size. You can make pullouts on the poly with duct tape.

I am a pretty dedicated ultralighter (summer base weight 6.2 lbs) and make a lot of gear. Here are my impressions about different tarp sizes:

5 x 8, 7.5 oz: Too small to use without a bivy sack, which makes the combined weight heavier than an 8 x 10 tarp. See the Articles section of Thru-Hiker.com for a treatise on using a 5 x 8 during a rainstorm without a bivy.

6 x 8, 8.7 oz: This is about the smallest safe size without a bivy, but you have to crawl into it on your belly and you can't sit up when it's pitched for bad weather. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a short trip. It is also barely lighter than more practical, larger sizes.

7 at front, 6 at rear, 9 long, 10.3 oz: This is a good choice for average size hikers. My current tarp is about this size, but is a catenary copy of the rainfly from a small 2 person tent, and it has "beaks" (the word used by Ray Jardine to describe overhangs at the ends to make a tarp more weather-proof). I don't mind crawling into it under the beaks, but I'm a bit crazier than most when it comes to saving weight.

7 x 9, 11 oz: Another good size, especially if you added beaks.

8 x 10, 13.5 oz: The foolproof flat tarp, which gives you a large dry footprint under which you center your sleeping bag. Note that it is only about 3 oz heavier than the 7 x 6 x 9 size, and for most people (as opposed to abnormal ultralight nuts like me) the small added weight is inconsequential.

Remember that in the east, the real estate under your tarp might be the only dry ground you see for days. Some western companies tout small tarps, but I suspect the target market is the western hiker who can count on getting dry the morning after a storm. (See the Owareusa website for tarps that could be scaled-up for use in the east. I don't think their one person size would work on the AT, but the 1.5 or 2 size might be pretty good).

Default Tarp size

My first tarp was a golite poncho tarp. I went ul cold turkey and used that tarp for 12 months in the east tennessee region. I hike a lot. Almost every weekend and as many 5 day trips as I can afford. I loved the light weight and used it with a home made bivy - which was essential. It works. If weight if the primary consideration you can survive with it. I think it is 4 foot eight by eight foot eight in size. I used the half pyramid pitch almost exclusively. But over time I grew weary of the confined space, the wind, and the rain splatter. I now use an equinox 8x10 in warmer months and a windblocking Oragami 2ul in winter. Manufacturers weights are pretty accurate. Except that the Oragami tarp weighs 28 ounces without all the guy lines and stakes, ect.. that they send with it. Now, this is just opinion, but I would want an 8x10 for a few more ounces - that way you could leave the bivy at home if you choose. Although sil does mist at times. I think the misting comes from dampness on the underside being knocked off by heavy drops of rain hitting the upper side. Myog bivy weighs 12 ounces with pu coated floor, breathable ripstop top, plenty of room to flop around, a foot zip and a 1/4 upper (entry) zip. The extra room is good for the attitude in foul weather. You could buy some cheap painters plastic and make a tarp of each size and try them out in some nasty weather and see which you might want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post

The Campmor 8x10 sil tarp is green. You could do what I did and cut two feet off one side to get a 6x10 tarp.
    There you go. and you get some stuff sack material out of the deal as well.

Images

Remember also that with any size tarp there are still shelter components common to any size tarp that can't be easily reduced--groundcloth, stakes, lines, etc amounting to 8 oz or more at minimum(mine is 11 oz): 6 stakes = 3 oz, goundcloth = 3 to 5 oz dep on size/material, lines(ridge and tyouts) = 2 to 4 oz. That extra foot on each side of a tarp(from 9x7 to 10x8) really helps when it comes to keeping you dry. You're looking at giving up a lot of alternative pitching options like this one by reducing overall shelter system weight from say 24 oz to 21 oz. Just doesn't seem like a good play to trade 3 oz and wind up with a marginal shelter that may not work in the wind and rain. Just thoughts...
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    First, let me start by saying that I am new to "tarping" I LOVE the idea of simplicity yet versatility. Since I am new to tarping I wonder if I could get some help making a decision. For a solo hiker is the 5x8 foot tarp better or an 8x10 footer? For those that have an 8x10 tarp (made of silnylon) how much does it weigh? If you have a 5x8 silnylon tarp, how much does it weigh?

Thanks,
    Cameron
    i use a 9x9 silnylon cat cut tarp with my hammock set upneo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11

Images

Ed Speer, one of the hammocking gurus, recommends the 8x10 for several reasons; you can hang it first which will give you instance cover if raining and then you can set up your hammock under it completely dry. You can can adjust the pitch of the sides for severe or mild weather. For the extra coverage, it doesn't way that much more. Disclaimer: I am primaryily a tenter and have hammocked only twice. I just read Ed's book and am passing along my new learnings!

If you haven't bought your tarp or material yet, here's a website that's worth a look:

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....cts-tarps.html

The manufacturer makes the MacCat hammock tarp as well.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

For those looking for more security than a tarp, but lighter weight than a tent, MLD has some relatively new models:
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...a2140439335a92
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

http://www.granitegear.com/products/overview/tarps.html
    I have the 8x white lightning in white. I'd go with the blue 10x as a do over.
    Made very well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++