WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I don't use aluminum for cooking because it will dissolve in acidic foods. If you don't believe me, try heating apple cider in an aluminum pot. It's a nasty taste so memorable that my mouth still puckers at the thought.
    I used to cook tomato sauce in an old aluminum pressure cooker. It would be so clean afterwards, I would wonder where all that oxidized aluminum ended up. Then I heard about the Alzheimer's scare way back when, and I guess that one went the way of many urban legends. There are lots of aluminum greasepots out there (and my wife's trailname is "GreasePot"), and if all you're doing is boiling water like most hikers, it should be fine.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Threads merged.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default Thank you

Dear all,

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.
    Take care.

Darwin

Images

Peaks...what did you say?
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Images

For those of you that use or are thinking of using the aluminum beer cans as a pot please read this information compiled by Dlarson. The entire thread concerning the lining in beer cans can be seen my clicking on the little white box to the left of Dlarson's name.

Re: Plastic Lined Beer Cans as Pots

by dlarson on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:28 pm
    OK, here's what I know.

Pretty much any beer can is going to have an interior coating over the aluminum (pg. 26).
    Preliminary Industry Characterization:
    Metal Can Manufacturing--Surface Coating wrote:Waterborne coatings contain a polymer or resin base, water, and organic solvent. The
    organic polymers found in water-based coatings include alkyds, polyesters, vinyl acetates,
    acrylics, and epoxies, which can be dissolved, dispersed, or emulsified. The water acts as the
    main carrier or dispersant, while the organic solvent aids in wetting, viscosity control, and
    pigment dispersion.
    Beverage can manufacturers use waterborne coatings extensively. Waterborne coatings
    are used for 2-piece beverage can base coats, overvarnishes, inside sprays, and rim coats.
    The interior coating of a beer can is not developed to withstand boiling water at 212 degrees (pg. 29).
    Preliminary Industry Characterization:
    Metal Can Manufacturing--Surface Coating wrote:In general, coatings must exhibit resistance to chemicals, flexibility, and adhesion to
    the metal surface. Coatings for beer and certain beverage cans must be able to survive an
    aqueous pasteurization cycle of 20-30 minutes at temperatures ranging from 140F to 160F
    Heating plastics promotes leaching of toxins into the food.
    Studies have shown when cans are heated in the manufacturing process, BPA leaches out of the linings. Foods are first sealed in cans and heated to kill bacteria in the food. Cans are heated to temperatures between 116 C and 121 C, and the length of time varies according to the type of food.
    Note: This testing also included two beer cans and found they leached between 8 and 9 parts per billion of BPA. As well, a can of apple juice leached 18 parts per billion.
    Ziploc freezer bags do not leach toxins so freezer bag cooking is OK (FAQs Page). And since Ziploc may be biased, here's a second resource stating that Polyethylene bags are safe.

My conclusion is that boiling water in just about any aluminum can is unsafe. If the makeup of the internal coating of Heineken 24oz cans can be determined and the coating is of safe materials that's great. But until then it is logical to assume that there is no difference between the Heineken 24oz cans and most other aluminum cans.
    Freezer bag cooking, in contrast, is safe until proven otherwise.
    epilektric

dlarson Posts: 276 Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 pm Location: minnesota

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++