WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Packing HEET

Default Packing HEET

NOBO leaving in March, wanted to ask experienced hikers how much HEET to pack (for my Brasslite stove) and what kind of containers you favored to pack in the fuel. Will be hiking with my brother with 2 stoves.

I have played around with the stove and it seems it takes at least 2 ozs to just bring ice water to a rolling boil. Does that sound about right? Thanks in advance!

Images

lotsa threads on this...search'em out...

Images

start experimenting with meals at home and see how much you need for however many meals you want to cook per day. Then look at how many days you will be out until your next resupply. Multiply, throw a dash extra just in case and there you go.

Take a look at the container on the brasslite website. It has worked well for me. I made a base and separate windscreen from aluminum flashing. The base is nothing more than a piece slightly larger in diameter than my pot. I bent the edges to conform to the base of the pot so it is easy to pack. The aluminum base gives my Turbo IID stove extra stability and reflects the heat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5878 View Post
    I have played around with the stove and it seems it takes at least 2 ozs to just bring ice water to a rolling boil. Does that sound about right? Thanks in advance!
    Were you using a windscreen?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Question Melting ice?...

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5878 View Post
    NOBO leaving in March, wanted to ask experienced hikers how much HEET to pack (for my Brasslite stove) and what kind of containers you favored to pack in the fuel. Will be hiking with my brother with 2 stoves.

Heet comes in a nice plastice 12 ounce bottle...why not use that?

Are you melting ice, or liquid water that is just above the freezing point?

It takes a LOT of btu's to transition (fancy term for "melting" ) solid ice to the liquid water state. This may be the reason for the high fuel use. Also, how much ice/water are you trying to heat to boiling? The usual amout is 1-2 cups (16-32 ounces). Are you dumping ice into a open pot as it melts? You will lose a lot of heat without a pot cover or some type. The use of awindscreen wil also help reduce heat loss and increase the efficiency of the sytem.

If you want a rough idea of the amount of fuel needed to heat up a known quantity of water (not ice), check out my "Stove Efficency" article in the artilcles listing of WB.

Actually there's only 8 ounces in a cup, just saying. maybe you were thinking of 16 ounces in a lb when you were typing.
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Exclamation O-o-o-ps...

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    Actually there's only 8 ounces in a cup, just saying. maybe you were thinking of 16 ounces in a lb when you were typing.
    Had a "Senior moment"/"Brain Fart"...take your pick.
    1 to 2 cups (8 to 16 ounces) of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Were you using a windscreen?
    No, this was inside, thats why I ask, I assume it takes longer outside??

Serial07!!!
    Good to hear you're still around!
    Spock

++ New Posts ++