WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default SOBO from Neels, Nov 28. Adivce?

Me and my wife and a couple of friends have a hike planned from Neels to Amicalola staring Friday and ending Monday.

We all have a decent amount of hiking experience, but most of it is 10 years ago. We dump camp quite a bit, typically from September - March. My wife and I have completed several hikes since January, in preperation for section hiking the AT, since it won't be possible for either of us to thru hike it till retirement.

The two guys going with us have grown very concerned with the weather forecast for the area. Lowest low is 29, with highs in the 50s, which doesn't concern us, but there is a 40% chance of rain everyday. They feel that considering the cold it's a bad idea because of the risk of hypothermia. I think they're over-reacting. We have appropriate gear and supplies.

Anyone else here going to be on or near this section during this same time? What sort of conditions are you expecting? Any particular advice for this hike?

Thanks in advance!

Water may be an issue until the stream just short of Dan Gap (about 7 miles from Neels). Our group had trouble finding water when we camped at Jarrard Gap a couple weeks ago. The water report showed this source as "flowing". We hiked about half a mile north on a side trail and found a stream.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Thanks for the reply. We did Amicalola to Springer a couple of weeks ago and it seemed the water at the two places we checked were pretty low.

Where do you get your water reports?

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. We did Amicalola to Springer a couple of weeks ago and it seemed the water at the two places we checked were pretty low.

I sent you a private message. Call Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap. They will be your best bet. 706-745-6095 They open at 9 AM.
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Images

i did that same stretch last week in the snappin cold we had although it was the opposite direction you are planing. we had plenty of water for the most part. all the shelter water sources were flowing, we didnt even treat or filter it and everthing is fine with my body. you will find lots of leaves around your water sources that have minimal flow. we had to dig out the pit at the hawk mtn shelter and let it settle for 1 hr or so. the water cleared up and was just fine.. the water sources in between the shelter sites were far and few. seems to me some of those dried up...

if you are worried about the weather just make sure you do not over extend your daily mileages. nite sneaks up rather quick this time of year. get into the shelter early and enjoy it.. arriving in the day makes for easier dinner and any other chores that come about[collect firewood]...keep your sl bag dry and make sure you have a set of dry clothes for sure..dont go for speed just go for the fun times the hike will provide. we took our time thru the hike and it was great. if the rain is too bad use the cell phone to call for a shuttle. i had service most of the trail.. oh yea dont forget the phone numbers you may need to contact a shuttle.....and last but not least DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE TERRAIN....BELIVE ME......

peace, nitewalker

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    https://01ef580.netsolstores.com/ind...n=Custom&ID=15

UPDATED 10-28-08
    THE WATER IS SPOTTY STREAMS REPORTED GOOD.

MILE LOCATION WATER
    0.2 SPRINGER MOUNTAIN YES
    0.9 USFS RD 42 10 MIN NORTH
    3.8 STOVER CREEK NO
    4.3 THREE FORKS USFS 58 YES
    5.1 SIDE TRAIL TO LONG CREEK FALLS YES
    7.8 HAWK MOUNTAIN YES
    13.8 JUSTIS CREEK YES
    15.1 GOOCH MOUNTAIN SHELTER YES
    16.5 GOOCH GAP, USFS 42 NO
    20.1 WOODY GAP, GA 60 NO
    22.9 AFTER DAN GAP SM. STREAM YES
    25.7 JARRARD GAP YES
    27.0 WOODS HOLE SHELTER NO
    27.4 STREAM YES
    27.5 SLAUGHTER CREEK CAMPSITE NO
    29.7 FLATROCK GAP, REECE TRAIL NO
    30.7 MOUNTAINCROSSINGS NEELS GAP YES

http://georgia-atclub.org/water_resources.html

Updated 9-22-08
    MILES*
    Comments
    Black Mountain

Good

Black Gap Shelter

Good

Springer Shelter

Good

Davis Creek

Good

Stover Creek (2 crossings)

11.3 & 11.5
    Flowing

Stover Creek Shelter

Dry

Three Forks

Flowing

Hawk Mountain Shelter

Flowing

Justus Creek

Flowing

Blackwell Creek

Flowing

Gooch Shelter

Flowing

Gooch Gap (North FS 42 >.1 mile)

Muddy

Woody Gap Spring

Dry

Miller Gap

Dry

Lance Creek

Flowing

Jarrard Gap (<.3 miles)

Flowing

Woods Hole Shelter

Dry

Slaughter Creek

Dry

Neel Gap (Mountains Crossing)

Good

Both these sites show Jarrard Gap "flowing". Either it was dry or we were too blind to find it.

Images

My girlfriend did that same exact segment (neels to amicalola) last december. As matter of fact the conditions were similar to what you you mentioned. It was 30-50 the entire time.... pouring rain nearly the entire time. If you are hiking hard, and have appropriate rain gear (we used frogg toggs), you should be pretty darn warm. The only thing thats really important is to keep your camp clothes dry. Use a compactor bag liner and also a pack cover. We camped at slaughter creek.... but it rained so darn hard that night that it worked its way into the tent a bit. Luckily we didnt get too wet. The following nights we stayed at gooch gap, and stover creek shelters and that was a bit better as far as staying dry. We were told that water was going to be an issue, but with all the rain, it clearly wasn't.

I hiked from Neels to Amicalola about a month ago....of course, it was a bit warmer. We got on the trail late Wed evening, and it was pouring...what a fun climb up Blood Mountain!!

I agree with flagator (although I hate Florida...I go to USC...tough loss last week!) about keeping camp clothes dry.

Water was quite plentiful for us, and I am sure with the rain you expect, the streams will be flowing fine.

I just finished up a hike in NC, where the temp went down to 17....quite miserable, but still awesome! I am sure that you will be fine...even with the rain...just make sure you have the gear.

Have fun man!

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

I don't think you will have any problems with water sources. Heres a link:
    http://weather.yahoo.com/img/us_atl_closeradar_medium_usen.html
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Images

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The forecast has improved so we're only looking at rain on Friday, and a chance of snow on monday (I hope! I'd love to see some snow!).

Quote Originally Posted by flagator View Post
    . If you are hiking hard, and have appropriate rain gear (we used frogg toggs), you should be pretty darn warm.
    I have a set of Frogg Toggs as well, which I'm taking. I figured if they can keep me dry and warm on a motorcycle at 70 mph they should do pretty well at hiking speed .

++ New Posts ++