WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    How did the inside get nasty? You were melting snow, right? You did add some water with the snow I am hoping before introducing heat?

If I had water, then I wouldn't be melting snow!! haha...

No seriously, we didn't have a SINGLE drop of water and one of us was extremely dehydrated. We had to go into emergency mode to get some water.

So, that's why the inside is charred.

Yeah, that is what I figured happened after I reread your post. Ouch ouch ouch!!!!

I know that not every one knows this, but melting snow in a dry pot is a very, very bad move. Without a bit of water at the bottom you will do a heck of a number to your pot. This is something to remember in winter - don't drink all your water, no matter how thirst you are, until you get the snow melting! Often snow can be like air - fluffy and dry. So it doesn't melt well unless it has a "little help"
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

[quote=nitewalker;729639]
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_d View Post
    Hey. I did a little hiking this weekend, and learned the hard way that the Pocket Rocket does no good in 17 degree weather.

i used my pocket rocket last week in 5* weather and had no problems what so ever with it. in my opinion it was the fuel that failed you not the stove.. put your fuel in your bag when you go to bed and it will stay nice and warm, pull it out in the morning and it will perform just fine.
    The fuel was either the wrong mix or too cold to vaporize. Nightwalker is right to sleep with it.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Soak it in Coke or rub on hot sauce and leave overnight.
    There's always elbow grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    Soak it in Coke or rub on hot sauce and leave overnight.
    There's always elbow grease.

well, that was an unexpected suggestion. where'd you learn those tricks? you know i've got to go pull out all my old pots now just to try it..

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Please tell me I can salvage it, and get it cleaned up? There has to be some kind of cleaner out there...right?
    So, Bobby, you've collected a lot of suggestions. Have any of them worked?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

I am in Bama visiting the fam for thanksgiving. I put the pot in my sink and allowed it to soak in a bath of cleaner and water. I will return tomorrow night and try to scrub it.

I will keep everyone posted on what technique I use and the results.

Images

if nothing works try Brasso polish ,with a piece of paper towel
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

Hey. I did a little hiking this weekend, and learned the hard way that the Pocket Rocket does no good in 17 degree weather.

There was no water, so we had to melt snow, and since the Pocket Rocket failed us, the only way to melt was over a camp fire in my Titanium pot....needless to say, it is charred and super super ugly!

Please tell me I can salvage it, and get it cleaned up? There has to be some kind of cleaner out there...right?

Your expertise is greatly greatly appreciated....thank you!
    FOR 1 ONCE..- pot you can eat and just clean the bottom with esbit.

Sorry,firelite and tab 1oz.
    Never could understand a stove of any make?

There was no water, so we had to melt snow, and since the Pocket Rocket failed us, the only way to melt was over a camp fire in my Titanium pot....needless to say, it is charred and super super ugly!

Your expertise is greatly greatly appreciated....thank you!
    R U serious? Expertise? It's just a #$@% pot. Scrub it clean like any other pot. Forget about all that BS U have heard about it being made from the same space age materials like NASA employs. And, there R way too many people with way too much time on their hands that it takes 3 pages of comments to discuss cleaning a pot!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Best way to get charred stuff off the inside of a TI pot is to throw it in the fire until all the organic material is carbon...which flakes off. Sounds counterintuitive, I know.

As far as TI changing color...I think you're SOL. But a dark pot is more efficient for heat transfer from your stove than a silver one.
    that's why you love johnny thunder...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Brillo pad
    Quote Originally Posted by No Belay View Post
    and Dollar Store Easy Off. Warm up your pan slightly (109.35 degrees) spray on until it actually foams and let sit until the Easy Off almost dries. Wash it off, Brillo a little and, KaZamm, your back to lookin like new...B.
    sounds like the answer...haven't yet read all the others posts...what else have we been talking about?

Just make it a none stick like cast iron fry pans.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post
    It's painfully obvious that this pot is a lost cause.What the poster needs
    to do now is get a kettle and subject it to the same snow torture that the
    pot endured.This will result in a matching set and the pot and kettle can
    then exchange epithets;thereby cutting their collective misery in half.
    The end result will be some sort of profound mystic karma of goodness
    that will likely benefit the user.I just love happy endings.
    Oldfivetango
    Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    johnney thunder has spoken. burn the ti pot in fire untill all is loose carbon. the blueing and rainbows of colors are natural aftr this and cannot be removed. the darker surface now saves fuel forever and looks really cool. as long as its smooth your oats will be as horrible as usuall.
    and that's that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    And, there R way too many people with way too much time on their hands that it takes 3 pages of comments to discuss cleaning a pot!!!
    Hey, a lot more of us have spent, way more time, on much dumber stuff than this. This pot has become a symbol for truth, justice and the American Way. We must clean this pot at all costs.

This thread reminds me of the King that got salt in his coffee....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Hey, a lot more of us have spent, way more time, on much dumber stuff than this. This pot has become a symbol for truth, justice and the American Way. We must clean this pot at all costs.
    Unfortunately, after a careful analysis, I've decided the pot isn't dirty. It has simply been overheated and the metal has changed color. The only way to get it to change its color a second time is to melt down the metal and mold a new pot.

I haven't worked with titanium enough to know what color the remolded metal might turn out to be. Actually, if the truth be known, I've never melted any metal except solder in its several manifestations.

Well, once during a camping party on an island in the Kennebec, I managed to melt a few aluminum beer cans, but those just turned to a white powder, a discovery that probably won't help solve this problem.

However, if by chance, super overheated titanium acts the same way, we could just quietly stir the powder into the ashes, thus enabling us to move on to other pressing issues. To be fair, we probably should send a bucket of the titanium and wood ashes to the owner of the pot as a consolation, of sorts.

Weary

Images

I am in Bama visiting the fam for thanksgiving. I put the pot in my sink and allowed it to soak in a bath of cleaner and water. I will return tomorrow night and try to scrub it.

I will keep everyone posted on what technique I use and the results.
    And?

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

I think he needs to buy about a dozen more pots then char something in all of them to test each suggested cleaning method.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Then he can test staining of waterbags.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++