WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default I charred my titanium pot....how do I clean it?

Hey. I did a little hiking this weekend, and learned the hard way that the Pocket Rocket does no good in 17 degree weather.

There was no water, so we had to melt snow, and since the Pocket Rocket failed us, the only way to melt was over a camp fire in my Titanium pot....needless to say, it is charred and super super ugly!

Please tell me I can salvage it, and get it cleaned up? There has to be some kind of cleaner out there...right?

Your expertise is greatly greatly appreciated....thank you!

I charred some Stainless Steel pots and used oven cleaner on them. I don't think it would cause a problem with your ti. Of course, there might be less caustic options to try first.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Aside of "super ugly," is its function diminished?

I seem to remember being able to place it in a container full of mixed liquid dish-soap and water and leaving it to sit for a long time will clean the carbon off of it.

I cleaned the outside of a Snow-Peak Titanium Cup with Carburator Cleaner a long time ago. It worked, but I wouldn't recommend it, I was dicking around and I don't think I ate out of it again.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

who cares what it looks like...
    Will I ever get to where I am going? If I do, will I know when I am there?

Well, the inside is pretty nasty....and Thinker, I don't know about you, but even when I'm roughing it...I want my oatmeal to taste like oatmeal....not charcoal.

I swear, some people just make the most negative comments on here sometimes. Obviously, I care what it looks like or I wouldn't have made the post.

I'm sorry for kind of lashing out at you Thinker, but I notice more and more people with negative comments on this site, and there is really and truly no need for it.

Remember what we all learned as little children: "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

Images

Might try soaking it in dishwasher soap with a bit of water first, then scour it with a paste made of dishwashing soap. That stuff is made to loosen up baked on crud without scouring.

I've seen some people just heat them up till the carbon lets loose.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Brillo pad

Best way to get charred stuff off the inside of a TI pot is to throw it in the fire until all the organic material is carbon...which flakes off. Sounds counterintuitive, I know.

As far as TI changing color...I think you're SOL. But a dark pot is more efficient for heat transfer from your stove than a silver one.

Savoring Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Brillo pad
    and Dollar Store Easy Off. Warm up your pan slightly (109.35 degrees) spray on until it actually foams and let sit until the Easy Off almost dries. Wash it off, Brillo a little and, KaZamm, your back to lookin like new...B.
    I am Who I am because I've been THERE .

Images

[quote=bobby_d;729482]Hey. I did a little hiking this weekend, and learned the hard way that the Pocket Rocket does no good in 17 degree weather.

i used my pocket rocket last week in 5* weather and had no problems what so ever with it. in my opinion it was the fuel that failed you not the stove.. put your fuel in your bag when you go to bed and it will stay nice and warm, pull it out in the morning and it will perform just fine.

to answer your question about the chared pot. scrub it with a dish sponge that has the mild abrasive on one side. just dont give it too much elbow grease or you mite scratch it too deep.....i did the same thing and cleaned it no problem....

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

You could always try what I use on the bottom my copper pots at home. A combination of lemon juice and table salt. Squirt the lemon juice or imitation lemon juice concentrate on the surface, then sprinkle salt on it and rub it in with a plain ol' washrag. I've got no idea whether this would have any effect on titanium, but it has got to be a lot safer than caustic cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by No Belay View Post
    and Dollar Store Easy Off. Warm up your pan slightly (109.35 degrees) spray on until it actually foams and let sit until the Easy Off almost dries. Wash it off, Brillo a little and, KaZamm, your back to lookin like new...B.
    Does it need to be exactly 109.35*?
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

What brand of fuel were you using? This can make a big difference in canister stoves/winter use.
    Snowpeak Giga fuel has been my choice for years in winter. As well, insulating your canister off the ground is another biggie, as is sleeping with your canisters in your bag (though I many times just pop my canister in my cozy overnight).
    I have used canister stoves to 5* at 5600 ft with no real issues besides being a bit sluggish.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

I run my pots through the dishwasher. A bit of rubbing with a paper towel removes any remaining loose black stuff.

Will it look like new again? Definitely not. Use it with pride!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

lol marta..perfect answer !

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I run my pots through the dishwasher. A bit of rubbing with a paper towel removes any remaining loose black stuff.

Will it look like new again? Definitely not. Use it with pride!
    Marta has it almost right. A dishwasher machine -- especially the new ones -- and especially if they use the latest recommendations will clean a lot of things.

But when I burn on a pot, I pour a little ammonia -- the kind sold in supermarkets -- and add a bit of water, and let it sit for an hour or so. Sorry, I can't give you exact proportions. But just double or triple the package recommendations. Anyway, in my experience, ammonia and water will lift the burnt on stuff, allowing the pot to be cleaned without scrubbing..

Weary

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    I've seen some people just heat them up till the carbon lets loose.
    You can get them plenty hot too without melting them...I left mine on the stove top heating some water, got distracted, came back some time later after all the water boiled out and didn't damage the pot at all. It did remove what little carbon build up was on the outside of the pot, but now it has a nice blue star on the bottom where the heat was the most intense.
    Kevin

Savoring Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Does it need to be exactly 109.35*?
    No..The temperature is actually altitude specific. The 109.35 is relevant only to 1430' asl. For other altitudes refer to the temp chart on the can's label.

Savor Happy!
    I am Who I am because I've been THERE .

I should have specified....it is not the actual Pocket Rocket that failed me....it was indeed the fuel canister.

I was using Snow Peak Giga fuel...and it did work, but was super super sluggish.

Thanks a lot for the advice about sleeping with the fuel.

I love learning new things!!!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++