WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Amicalola Falls Approach Trail?

What are the benifits to starting the trail at the approach trail verses Springer?

a buffet meal at the lodge. blisters and sore muscles

Images

You get to start at the Arch at the visitor's center. A very pretty trail and a good climb to the top. A feeling of accomplishment when you see the first white blaze. Another day on the trail (rather than at work...)

You can start wherever you want. I liked the Approach Trail, and there's no real downside to hiking it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

IMO, take a picture at the Arch, then drive to the top of the falls and 'put in' there. That first half mile after the Arch is all switchbacks and the next half mile is all uphill on gravel. The next 7 miles of approach trail (above the falls) is normal hiking, though it is an extended uphill with ups and downs along the way.

Unless you've got plenty of hiking under your belt, then I think that first mile makes the next 7 worse than it actually is.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

another day on the trail!

Images

Get to sign in at the Visitor Center, then start hiking. Just seems the "right" way to do it, for me anyway.

Don't be scared off by the horror stories, it's no worse than any of the other "tough" sections, and it's not all that tough.

Even the steps are very doable as long as you don't think you have to do them all non-stop. Take some photos, talk to some of the other folks resting at the benches, you'll be at the top of the steps in no time. When I got there, I was AMAZED at how tiny the stream was that fed the falls. Never would have guessed that looking at the beauty of the cascade. Enjoy the Approach - it's part of the experience.

Just my opinion, it's worth what you paid for it.

Images

It's not as hard as some make it out to be. The arch is a great photo op and makes a great memory.
    I agree with Lyle, it just seems "right".
    www.kevinmims.com
    Read the VISIT FLORIDA Outdoors & Nature Blog: http://bit.ly/9jtcnr

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    IMO, take a picture at the Arch, then drive to the top of the falls and 'put in' there. That first half mile after the Arch is all switchbacks and the next half mile is all uphill on gravel.
    You can still go that way but they have re-routed the trail up the stairs.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I say do the Approach...just seems to be a part of the trail.

Also, it doesn't seem natural to start 0.9 PAST Springer and reroute. Seems like it's a better experience to start at the actual first white blaze.

But, HYOH of course!

The more I think about it, the idea of taking a pic at the arch and driving to the top, just doesn't seem right to me. For me personally it would be akin to skipping a section of the trail itself. If I decide to hike the Approach Trail, I'm going to hike the Approach Trail.....unless I'm getting a late start and plan a night at the Len Foote Hike Inn.....heheh

That's just my take for myself only. HYOH.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lgr1978 View Post
    What are the benifits to starting the trail at the approach trail verses Springer?
    Well, I'm into climbing mountains, and the approach trail goes up a mountain -- actually a couple of mountains if I remember rightly.

I would do the approach trail again. The pionts made above are good, the arch is a good photo op and really the arch makes a great place to start. The eight miles ahead will give you a pretty good idea of what the next month has in store for you. However after about the first week the trail will "get" easier as you fall into trail mode. The eight miles will also give you a time to enjoy what you are about to do. It is not an easy 8 miles but it isn't that bad.
    Do what you what to do, however you don't want to get done and think back to yourself "Maybe I should have done the approach."
    SweetAss

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

It's only 8 miles. If you're going to commit to hiking the whole thing, the Approach is a pretty marginal commitment. Like someone else said, it would suck to hike the whole thing and regret not seeing the Arch or the rest of the Approach Trail. It's honestly not bad at all, and it gives you a solid indication of where you stand as far as hiking shape goes. Between the Visitor's Center, Arch, Falls, and some of the views it's definitely worth it.

It makes it even more exciting to get to the first white blaze, too.

theres hundreds of other side trails on the AT. might as well do those too. the approach trail is one of the more bland ones though

I meant to add that in there as well Lone Wolf, the trail is rather bland, don't expect great things while hiking it.
    SweetAss

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

the benefit for us not doing the approach was that family and friends came to the summit to see us off. of course, they could have sent us off from the arch, but it was nice to have them on the summit for a celebration. we had alread done the approach trail anyways, so it didnt really matter to us to do it again. the night before we stayed at the lodge, visited the falls, and had the breakfast buffet so we wouldnt miss that part of it
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

If I was to do the approach trail again I would do the spur trail to The Hike Inn. Better trail, crosses 2 or more streams, visit The Hike Inn (if it's open). The trail then continues northward and comes back to the approach trail on top of Frosty Mtn.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

There's also 700 miles of IAT after Katahdin.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was not going to do the Approach trail but glad I did. We met two great hikers that day at the arch and at the falls. They helped us tremendously and became friends the first week of our hike. Great way to start a long distance hike.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I stayed at the Len Foote Hike Inn last month for the first time. It is a great place. When I do get a chance to do a thru, I would strongly consider a late start from AFSP and spend the first night at the Hike Inn. Then do a shortish first REAL day to maybe Hawk Mt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++