WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hiking june 09

Highfisher,
    My 11 year old and I are going to do a few sections (probably 3 thru 7) starting June 30th. Maybe we'll see you out there.

Hoped to do a thru but too many conflicts.

Mid June might be a tad early to be hiking. There is likely to still be snow at the higher elevations. The prime time for hiking this trail is actually July/August. They have had heavy snow fall this winter, which means snow is likely to linger longer than normal as well.

Also, I highly recommend that you build in some extra time on your schedule to do some peak bagging while you are there. The trail goes very close to 10 different 14,000 ft peaks. Take the opportunity to go up and see the world from the top. Mt Elbert and Mt Massive are the easiest to summit, and the side trails are right off the CT, near Half Moon campground. I took 8 weeks, but that included several side trips and summits of 10 14ers.

The other issue will be aclamating to higher elevation. Before I went out there, I spent time in the Smokies and Mt Mitchell area. Getting aclamated to 6,000 ft really helped with the transition to 10,000 ft and above. You will be hitting some high elevation about the end of week one.

I also LOVED the camping at Porcupine Lake, just before coming into the Turquois Lake area. Great view of the divide and I got an awesome sunset/sunrise combination from there.

Hey! I am starting in Maine 15 june 09. Happy Trails! Two Tents.

maine is sure a long way from colorado?

A couple buddies and I are starting a SOBO in Denver on June 11 (I'd prefer to start later, but this is the only time we can do it). I know we'll probably be dealing with some snow once we get to Georgia Pass and points beyond, but it has been pretty warm and I've been hearing something about dust storms causing a quicker melt this year, so hopefully it won't be much worse than some post-holing by the time we get to the high country.

Images

I started June 7, 2006 in Waterton Canyon. There was above average snow that year, but a late May/early June heat wave evened out the snow pack. (It also made for a 100+ heat index in the open sun of Waterton Canyon, but you can't have it all).

I encountered a reasonable bit of snow in the treeline before Georgia Pass, but the pass itself was clear.

The heaviest snow I encountered was the pass between Breckinridge and Copper Mountain, and even that wasn't bad if you were willing to take it slow and kick some decent steps. That was the only spot where an ice axe would have been good for comfort, but even then wasn't truly necessary.

I don't know what the snow conditions have been like this year, but if you check up this site , and select areas on or near the CT, it will give you an idea how much snow you may still expect. Copper Mountain has had no snow. The Fremont Pass area has over 2 feet, etc.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I'm starting late June maybe 21 or 22 or I might wait till the 30th just so I can make a few extra bucks first

Thinking about getting out to the trail in 10 or so days...anyone from the area have insight on how the snow will be this early in the season? It seems as if things are below average this season, but I'm thinking someone that actually lives in the area might have a better idea how the conditions will be, especially heading into the higher elevations around June 20 or so...thanks!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UGASlotMachine View Post
    It seems as if things are below average this season,

Low snow years does not equal no snow year.

I just like to repeat that over and over again because no one believes CO residents when we say that.

Having said that, June 20th is a generally a good start if you are starting from Denver (Durango? Not so much). Esp this year. I was in the higher elevations of Lost Creek Wilderness this past weekend (the CT passes through there) and there was no snow.

I suspect you'll do fine as you do not hit 10k ft until Kenosha Pass and that is 70 miles in.

Have fun!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

mags i respect you definatly and your info but i am leaving monday for the ct an dont mind dealing with some snow but as you said in 4 days after i leave ill hit snow at gorgia pass but i honestly dont mind dealing with some snow part of the adventure so i do thank you for all the great info on your site and either way ill have a great hike. wish me luck maybe a yoyo just cause no one else has that i know of on the ct.

fta - i'm thinking of leaving in the next few days and expect to (obviously) hit snow...what snow gear were you planning on bringing? i'm not thinking an ice axe is necessary, but maybe i'm completely off base? thanks

im definatly not taking an ice axe but dont get me wrong if georgia pass is to snowy ill go around

ugaslotmachine- it seems like we are on the same page hope to see you out there ill be leaving tommorow.

Looks like my planned june 21 thru has been changed not by me but my ticker, nothing to serious ,but enough to change my plans until fall or next spring, so I'll be reading your journals and waiting for my turn. Like most hikes you have to be flexible!! Hope you guys and gals have a great adventure out there..Thanks to fta ,Mags , bearpaw, and the others for the info an help, also for Mags and the other Golite guys I requested all titanium parts put in me.. to keep the wieght down LMAO!!!

Son and two friends will hit Katahdin June 19th and go SOBO. Two just graduated last weekend from high school and are eager to get started. Spoke to someone in Monson Maine last week...bugs coming on as expected, certainly in the deep woods, but up to that point very little rain for the year or swelling of streams. Weather seems relatively "polite" but anything can happen during the Whites. Just took note that there was still snow in higher elevations...which is useful info indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by truckindust View Post
    Son and two friends will hit Katahdin June 19th and go SOBO. Two just graduated last weekend from high school and are eager to get started. Spoke to someone in Monson Maine last week...bugs coming on as expected, certainly in the deep woods, but up to that point very little rain for the year or swelling of streams. Weather seems relatively "polite" but anything can happen during the Whites. Just took note that there was still snow in higher elevations...which is useful info indeed.
    Hi Truck,

This is actually the Colorado Trail forum. I know it is easy to post in the wrong forum (I know I've done it! ), just thought I'd give you a heads up.

The higher elevations of Colorado are definitely snowy right now.

Good luck to anyone out there right now.

Not that you can't do it...just if you are wus like me it is probably not much fun.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by highfisher View Post
    Looks like my planned june 21 thru has been changed not by me but my ticker, nothing to serious ,but enough to change my plans until fall or next spring, so I'll be reading your journals and waiting for my turn. Like most hikes you have to be flexible!! Hope you guys and gals have a great adventure out there..Thanks to fta ,Mags , bearpaw, and the others for the info an help, also for Mags and the other Golite guys I requested all titanium parts put in me.. to keep the wieght down LMAO!!!
    The trail will be there. Good luck on your summer!

(I'm a dirtbagger..I'd probably do some odd thrift store design. )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Hope you're up and trucking soon, Highfisher.

For everyone else, my friends and I are starting come hell or high water (snow?) in a few days. We'll see some of you along the way, I'm sure!

Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Oops! Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++