WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Protein

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default Protein

I like Sardines, or Tuna, not sure if you can get them in powdered form.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I pack cans of chicken, tuna, salmon, etc. and powdered milk for protein. I know... cans are heavy, but I like real food when hiking. I keep my pack & gear weight down, and splurge on fresh veggies, fruit and meat. And some chocolate whey powder ain't bad either.

try the small pop top cans of bush's baked beans, yummmy and loaded with the protein. u can cook them rite in the can on top of the pocket rocket stove..are they good..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    try the small pop top cans of bush's baked beans, yummmy and loaded with the protein. u can cook them rite in the can on top of the pocket rocket stove..are they good..
    You shouldn't cook directly out of cans. They contain a epoxy coating, aka BPA. http://www.bisphenol-a.org/human/epoxycan.html

There's a reason they came up with BPA-free water bottles and bladders. Just my .02.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ATX-Hiker View Post
    You shouldn't cook directly out of cans. They contain a epoxy coating, aka BPA. http://www.bisphenol-a.org/human/epoxycan.html

There's a reason they came up with BPA-free water bottles and bladders. Just my .02.
    ATX BPA isn't everywhere and folk have been low heat cooking beans in cans for years, although I have asked your question directly to some bean manufacturing companies and waiting for a reply.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I wonder how much lead I've sucked down from the solder in the seam of a #10 can. I wonder what they coated the inside of those cans with back in the dark ages.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    ATX BPA isn't everywhere and folk have been low heat cooking beans in cans for years, although I have asked your question directly to some bean manufacturing companies and waiting for a reply.
    How long have you been waiting for the reply?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ATX-Hiker View Post
    How long have you been waiting for the reply?

Got it back in four hours - doesn't quite answer the question but it still makes a good read!
    Bush Beans

Dear Mr. ****

Thank you for contacting us.

The lining of our cans is a food grade enamel coating. This coating is used as a standard throughout the canned food industry to protect the contents. While the lining does contain Bispenol-A at a very low level, the FDA has taken the position that such can coatings and sealing compound is safe and presents no risk to health.
    We do not recommend heating our product in the can over a campfire. First of all, I was able to find in the literature several articles that stated that the temperatures in a campfire are in the range of 500 - 650 degrees C (932 F - 1202 F).
    We do not use can liner materials or end sealing compounds that can stand-up to these temperatures. In fact, I am not aware of any commercial lining materials and end sealant compounds that can stand-up to these temperatures. Although our current liner and end sealant materials are approved for their intended use in a can that is retorted (cooked) in the temperature range of 240 - 255 F, they are not approved nor have they even been studied at the typical temperatures that can exist in a campfire.
    I hope this information is helpful. And thank you for contacting us with your interest in Bush Brothers & Company products.

Sincerely,
    Teesee Moore
    Consumer Relations Coordinator

I didn't mention a campfire - what I said was on a stove. still a surprise!-WOO
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Default ON Whey Protein

ON Whey protein is very good has a good chocolate taste and always mixes well. Good with water and milk one thing I have read is that if you cook with a protein supplement or mix it then let it sit it does break down the protein do not quote me on it as I could be wrong. I get my ON Whey protein at GNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Got it back in four hours - doesn't quite answer the question but it still makes a good read!
    Bush Beans

Dear Mr. ****

Thank you for contacting us.

The lining of our cans is a food grade enamel coating. This coating is used as a standard throughout the canned food industry to protect the contents. While the lining does contain Bispenol-A at a very low level, the FDA has taken the position that such can coatings and sealing compound is safe and presents no risk to health.
    We do not recommend heating our product in the can over a campfire. First of all, I was able to find in the literature several articles that stated that the temperatures in a campfire are in the range of 500 - 650 degrees C (932 F - 1202 F).
    We do not use can liner materials or end sealing compounds that can stand-up to these temperatures. In fact, I am not aware of any commercial lining materials and end sealant compounds that can stand-up to these temperatures. Although our current liner and end sealant materials are approved for their intended use in a can that is retorted (cooked) in the temperature range of 240 - 255 F, they are not approved nor have they even been studied at the typical temperatures that can exist in a campfire.
    I hope this information is helpful. And thank you for contacting us with your interest in Bush Brothers & Company products.

Sincerely,
    Teesee Moore
    Consumer Relations Coordinator

I didn't mention a campfire - what I said was on a stove. still a surprise!-WOO
    Dear Mr. **** I sure hope you replied and told them thanks for the info. I'm impressed with the response and particularly " First of all, I was able to find in the literature several articles that stated that the temperatures in a campfire are in the range of 500 - 650 degrees C (932 F - 1202 F)." Makes me think I should eat more BUSH BEANS.

No, I carry chicken and some power bars for protein.

How about those instant breakfasts?
    Skim milk powder milk + sugar + artifical flavour + packaging.
    It just sells itself don't it?

Quote Originally Posted by dradius View Post
    not to argue, but bananas have potassium which some say helps with cramping muscles. who knows.
    So do nuts. High in protein, maybe not complete, but they are pretty dang nutritious and have a pretty good amount of fat, carbs and potassium. I won't touch Gatorade, but I do tend to carry lots of banana chips and an assortment of nuts.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Oh, yeah, the subject was protein. Again nuts are a good source. You can get them at almost any town and they keep well. Peanut butter is a good source of protein as well as potassium, fiber, carbs and fat, but technically peanuts aren't nuts as peanuts are a legume.

Jerky is also available at any town, 7-elevens, gas stations,... Very highly concentrated with protein. You can chop it up and combine with rice, pasta, oatmeal, instant mash potatoes, ... and some dehydrated veggies, cook it up and rest for 30 or 40 minutes. Makes a very satisfying and balanced dinner stew.
    --Edward Payson Weston

Garlic
    Images

A very generous and well-meaning section hiker gave me one of his coveted "Met-Rx 100" protein bars--how could I refuse? (Actually, I yogied shamelessly.) I read the label, the first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. Yecch. I'll stay with cheese, tuna, nuts, powdered milk, etc.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I made sure I got protein at least two nights a week on the trail. Usually through Tuna, nuts or summer sausage. When in town I would load up on protein at every meal.

With a little attention to food labels U should be able to get all the protein U need directly from your trail food. U can get protein from animal products, but U certainly could also get it from non-animal sources. If U decide U need some added protein in the form of a drink or a powder Whey Protein Isolate is the most complete form of protein that I know. It has the most complete, or nearly complete, selection of amino acids in the right ratios. Many muscle/body building drinks contain Whey Protein Isolate for this reason. It is also found in many nutritional bars to up the protein content. As others have already stated Isolate is the key word here. Food labels that don't contain Isolate are not the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If U decide U need some added protein in the form of a drink or a powder Whey Protein Isolate is the most complete form of protein that I know.
    Or even better is cheese or meat. Drinks or powder containing whey can't compete. Whey is the non-protein part of milk. I understand that they supplement it with soy and other proteins, but they can't compete with the full on balanced protein of jerky, salami, cheese. ....
    Don't fall for the magazine/TV/infomercial types of nutrition.
    --Edward Payson Weston

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    Or even better is cheese or meat. Drinks or powder containing whey can't compete. Whey is the non-protein part of milk. I understand that they supplement it with soy and other proteins, but they can't compete with the full on balanced protein of jerky, salami, cheese. ....
    Don't fall for the magazine/TV/infomercial types of nutrition.
    The most complete, bioavailable (100% absorbed) protein is egg white. Whey isolate is also an excellent source.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    The most complete, bioavailable (100% absorbed) protein is egg white. Whey isolate is also an excellent source.
    Egg white or eggs in general are good. Although you can alter weigh to get the small amount of protein out, why? To make money.

I know many weight lifting coaches who believe that protein powders are no better than real food.
    I have never seen competition weight lifters use any whey based protein powders, they just eat lots of good, high in protein, but balanced foods.

Mens magazines are a poor source of nutritional information as their job is to sell advertising and their bigger advertisers are protein powder companies.

Magazines in general are a poor source of reality.
    --Edward Payson Weston

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    Egg white or eggs in general are good. Although you can alter weigh to get the small amount of protein out, why? To make money.

I know many weight lifting coaches who believe that protein powders are no better than real food.
    I have never seen competition weight lifters use any whey based protein powders, they just eat lots of good, high in protein, but balanced foods.

Mens magazines are a poor source of nutritional information as their job is to sell advertising and their bigger advertisers are protein powder companies.

Magazines in general are a poor source of reality.
    Good points all, I agree protein powder is no better than "real food", the powder itself was processed from "real food" to begin with. The term "isolate" requires a purity and bioavailability level much higher than standard protein powders, you get what you pay for. It is unarguably the most conveinent way for a hiker to maintain an adequate protein intake, because it is a powder. At home, it is just one option among many. If you are into the Zone Diet (I think it is one of the keys to health and longevity) then cooking with protein powder to achieve its reccomended 4/3 ratio of carbs/protein is viable option.

Strength trainer Mark Rippetoe says all you need to do is drink a lot of milk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++