WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Protein

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    The term "isolate" requires a purity and bioavailability level much higher than standard protein powders, you get what you pay for. It is unarguably the most conveinent way for a hiker to maintain an adequate protein intake, because it is a powder.
    I guess this is starting to sound like a religion/political discussion

In reality, you will not get the proper amount of protein in your daily diet unless you mix in an adequate amount of snake oil
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post

Oh, please NO!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post

In reality, you will not get the proper amount of protein in your daily diet unless you mix in an adequate amount of snake oil
    I don't know if you went to college and were required to take a reading comprehension test like the Regents, which may be a good thing 'cause you would've flunked it. That or you have some serious cognitive dissonance going on.

Default Back to protein

My main protein source: Lots of peanuts, good for efficient calories, protein and salt. I keep them in a separate bag from trail mix. Also, I grind them at home in the blender to make a powdery paste and then reconstitute them on the Trail and serve with rice. Of course if you're thruhiking, that only works if you're doing maildrops.

Also I used to pack powdered milk a lot but I've phased away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    I don't know if you went to college and were required to take a reading comprehension test like the Regents, which may be a good thing 'cause you would've flunked it. That or you have some serious cognitive dissonance going on.
    I think your in the wrong forum. This is not a language skills forum. That kind of insult doesn't really belong, does it?
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Default I'd advise LD hikers look elsewhere for protein...

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Summer sausage/hard salami during the day.
    Summer sausage, like regular SPAM and Vienna Sausage, has a great deal of fat, especially saturated fat, that is in place of the desired protein, that a hiker pays for, and lugs, without payoff. All of those products would IMO be more accurately labeled as "Lard garnished with (low-quality) meat". I suggest hikers instead buy meat with several times as many calories from protein as fat. That would mean for land animal meat, pick leaner beef cuts over fattier ones, bison or venison over beef, beef over pork, poultry over mammal meat, etc. I have also added small Ziploc bags of egg white powder to nearly all my mail drops for my upcoming thruhike to add to casseroles to raise my protein intake, and suggest others do this.

Fish and shellfish of all types comes to mind for the best protein/sat fat ratios, though. On fish, try to pick ones with Omega-3 oils (but from smaller fish than tuna/swordfish to limit heavy metal contamination) preferentially. On shellfish commonly available in hiker-convenient forms, clams are arguably nutritionally tops IMO (less cholesterol than in shrimp if memory serves, and essentially no fat, which you want to be getting from nuts and olive oil).

P.S. on beans as a protein source during hikes...

1) Dehydrated ones make way more sense to carry than canned ones. You can pick up water along the way; why pay for it and carry it, in heavy cans?

2) Beans are not complete proteins. They need to be eaten with a source of essential amino acids they're low in (such as lysine). Rice is a good choice, but some animal protein (meat/milk/egg whites) makes a bean meal even better nutritionally.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++