WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Suggested Medications to take

I was wondering what prescription meds I might want to take for a worst case scenario.

Diarrhea - ???
    Cold/Flu/Infection - Cypro?
    Nausea - ??
    Pain - 2-3 Vicodin
    Etc. - ??

I have a good relationship with my doctor, and she's agreed to give me some prescriptions before my trip, as long as I call her from where ever I may be prior to taking (if I can). I'm wondering what I may possibly need.

Ibuprofen (Vitamin I) and Benadryl are the biggies. I've never carried anything specifically for diarrhea, nausea, or colds. Benadryl helps for bug bites and such. Sunblock is important for exposed skin, even in winter.

Images

For the AT, I just start out with some Ibuprofen (OTC), moleskin, Duct Tape, couple of immodium and couple of cold med tablets (just enough for one or two doses). If anything else is needed, it can be picked up in town.

For more remote hiking I add some stronger pain meds - whatever I have laying around, or get a script for something from Doc. Also some Broad Spectrum Antibiotic. I also take more cold and diarrhea medication since I won't be able to re-stock. If you think you may get into poison ivy, I would carry some Zanfel - expensive, but works wonders.

Images

I carried some prescription medications on my through hike which were recommended in a book for hikers I read.

I don't know if I can recall everything I carried, but I will try to remember what I can over the next few days and put it here for you as well as the title of the book which is now likely out-of-print. Someone who posts here likely has a copy and could put up the list even if some of the meds may no longer be considered to be the best for what you would intend to use them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I carried some prescription medications on my through hike which were recommended in a book for hikers I read.

I don't know if I can recall everything I carried, but I will try to remember what I can over the next few days and put it here for you as well as the title of the book which is now likely out-of-print. Someone who posts here likely has a copy and could put up the list even if some of the meds may no longer be considered to be the best for how you would intend to use them.
    That would be great. I'd like to have the meds before I go, as my insurance will be gone by the time I'm on the trail. If it's serious I'll see a doc and just eat it. Rather plan ahead though.

Images

Look up Lomotil (diarrhea) and Compazine (nausea) for starters.

I carry a couple of Vicodin's just in case I happen to hurt something so bad Ibprofen isn't enough to get me out of the woods. I'd have have to be in some real serious pain before I would take them though. Haven't need to yet - even after a tooth extraction which is what they were given to me for.

If you need anything with isn't OTC, its likely you'd be seeing a doctor first anyway or already know you need them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

OTC - Immodium
    OTC - Tums/Rolaids
    OTC - 200 mg Ibuprofen
    Rx - 800 mg Ibuprofen
    Rx - amoxacillin or dicloxacillin 500 mg capsules
    Rx - propoxyphene
    Rx - oxycodone
    Your doc might write you an Rx for 2-3 tabs if you tell him you are on the trail for a few months, though I have never needed anything stornger than 800 mg Ibuprofen in many years of backpacking. If it hurts more than that, you probably should get off and not walk through the pain (or mask the pain)....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    OTC - Immodium
    OTC - Tums/Rolaids
    OTC - 200 mg Ibuprofen
    Rx - 800 mg Ibuprofen
    Rx - amoxacillin or dicloxacillin 500 mg capsules
    Rx - propoxyphene
    Rx - oxycodone
    Your doc might write you an Rx for 2-3 tabs if you tell him you are on the trail for a few months, though I have never needed anything stornger than 800 mg Ibuprofen in many years of backpacking. If it hurts more than that, you probably should get off and not walk through the pain (or mask the pain)....
    Rx 800mg Ibuprofen, couldn't you just take 4 200 mg ibuprofen?
    Rx - amoxacillin or dicloxacillin 500 mg capsules - antibiotic, correct?
    Rx - propoxyphene - ???
    Rx - oxycodone - that's even stronger than vicodin isn't it? I guess if you break an arm or something and have 2 more miles to town, it'd probably be nice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ATX-Hiker View Post
    Rx 800mg Ibuprofen, couldn't you just take 4 200 mg ibuprofen?
    Rx - amoxacillin or dicloxacillin 500 mg capsules - antibiotic, correct?
    Rx - propoxyphene - ???
    Rx - oxycodone - that's even stronger than vicodin isn't it? I guess if you break an arm or something and have 2 more miles to town, it'd probably be nice.
    Yes you could take 4 200's - But see what your doctor says before a high dosage. I used it as a prophylactic after knee surgery when hiking, so the high doses were better. It just alleviates taking a lot of tablets. If you have had joint injuries or surgery or are aging with normal aches and pains, you might need to take more ibuprofen than just an occasional dose.

Yes antibiotics

propoxyphene and oxycodone are both pain relievers. If you have a relationship with your doc, he or she probably won't hesitate to write a nonrefillable Rx for a couple of tabs, once you explain your intentions.

The above, of course being the cat's pajamas of drugs to have with you. Otherwise, I usually carry Ibuprofen and a couple of doses of immodium.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Default Home in your Pack

The name of the book was Home in your Pack by Bradford Angier. It went through a number of editions and may even still be in print. Earlier editions of the book are available from Alibris.com or check amazon.com to inquire about a current edition.

There may have been 4 prescription meds in the first aid kit recommended. I provided 2 of them earlier, both of which I used once on my hike when I became ill in GSMNP. A 3rd was some sort of eye drops, but my physician prescribed an ointment instead which may now no longer be recommended for that purpose.

I'd carry no more than you would use for a single incident. You may well end up discarding whatever you obtain upon completion of your hike.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Bring Benadryl, Tylonol PM and a couple ounces of rum, in case you really need to sleep.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Look up lomotil (diarrhea) and compazine (nausea) for starters.
    Lomotil is great, tiny pill, stores well. Oral compazine can CAUSE or worsen nausea in some folks. Tigan is what I used years ago, but there are better drugs now I'm told, ask you doctor.

Images

Besides bringing some over-the-counter meds I would not bother to bring any actual "prescription" meds unless it was something that you always take.

Panzer

Images

Default Seasonal allergic rhinitis

If you suffer seasonal allegeric rhinitis as badly as I do, you will want to be prepared for it, especially ragweed pollen in the middle states. Deep in the Maine woods is one of the best places for me in August and September as I'm not bothered by ragweed pollen when there.

Images

i'm only getting into this because you stated "might want" not "should"...you are young, maybe in decent shape...how are your knees? if you feel some inflammation maybe be an issue, bring some advil...antibiotics? vics?

if you are a relatively decent shape young man, most of this will be unnecessary...i'd bring a multi before any of that other stuff...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I took these meds -

lots of Vit I (advil liquigels for use during the day) - no need for anything stronger, esp prescription wise. If you do, you need to go to a Dr for an evaluation of the pain. Not doctoring it on the trail.
    some Aleve (for pain at night only)
    a couple Lomotil for the runs just in case (never needed it)
    a couple Gas X
    a couple Sudafed
    and of course my multi vitamin, glucosomine, Vit C and Co Q

Surprised an MD would give you an antibiotic for colds and flu that are caused by viruses. They don't help. Water borne illnesses are rare.

I was the most healthy on the trail. It's when I came home I got sick.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Surprised an MD would give you an antibiotic for colds and flu that are caused by viruses. They don't help. Water borne illnesses are rare.

I was the most healthy on the trail. It's when I came home I got sick.
    True, antibiotics aren't for colds. I carry them for infected injuries (blisters come to mind), tooth abscess, UTI's, etc. I've never used them myself while on trail, but have known others to use them for these problems.

Garlic
    Images

As said above, just carry things that you normally need and that work for you. I also stayed healthy until I got home, then I got a cold. I think the immune system kicks into high gear out there.

I carried a small tube of topical antibiotic (Neosporin), and a small tube of skin ointment (Benedryl). Those take care of minor issues I have out there. I've never had a headache or unbearable pain, so I don't carry pain relievers or anti-inflammatories, but many do.

I agree with a doc friend who says that fever, diarrhea, and nausea are usually there for a reason and shouldn't be stopped, usually. She also says that pain is a message--you don't remove the batteries from your smoke detector in a fire. It's very easy to medicate inappropriately, maybe do more harm.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Just read something written by someone who knows what they are doing:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...728#post183728

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++