Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PCT questions

Working on Forestry Grad schol

i hiked with a children's school backpack for the first 900 miles or so. It was fine, but i couldn't get hitches. Anyways, it's just like any other hiking--it's pretty much all up to personal preference. You will need to carry a max of 5-8L of water (or carry a few liters less and do significant night hiking, take your pick)

I didn't use a canister and if (err when) I do the PCT again I still wouldn't use a canister. My pack thru the sierrias obviously couldn't fit one, and none of the rangers i encountered seemed to care one bit. YMMV

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

i heard otherwise about the rangers. And what does YMMV mean?

Images

We obviously met different rangers. On the JMT in '07, I was asked about my bear canister by at least three different rangers. Rapping my knuckles on the side of my pack satisfied them.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    I think the earlier season PCT hikers are given a little more slack than the later season JMT hikers. There's also less rangers in June than July, August and September.

YMMV= Your millage (or experience) may vary

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    Your Mileage May Vary. As in - you may see things differently.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Rapping my knuckles on the side of my pack satisfied them.
    Last year I was asked about my canister 2 times in 115 miles. Once in Yosemite near Donahue Pass, and once in the Ansel Adams Wilderness by 1000 Island Lakes.
    I rapped on the side of my pack too.

The ranger at 1000 Island Lakes was particularly nice. We had a long chat. I told him where I planned to camp - on a peninsula jutting out into the lake. He thought it might be too close to the water. I promised to pace it off and did. In the morning he said that from up high, I looked to be too close to the water. I assured him that I wasn't - as I had paced it off in all directions. He was satisfied.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Yosemite rangers are polite and helpful, but also sticklers for detail. They have good reason to be. Wait until you see the idiotic tourists they have to deal with daily at Tuolumne Meadows and Yosemite Valley. Don't be one of those.

They are familiar with PCTA Thru Permits, and as long as yours is in order and you have your bear can, they won't detain you long......but they WILL check you. Expect to meet the first one on the flat in Lyell Canyon, more at TM - especially in the backpackers' campground in the evening. Once north of heavily used Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp, rangers will be rare. Incidentally, many of the rangers around TM are of the law enforcement type (armed and sworn). Give them lip at your peril.

I gave one of them female cops (not a ranger) a piece of my mind on the flat in Lyell early one morning. I'm not sure who let her go beyond the parking lot, but she wasn't very nice. I had wonderful interactions with all the other rangers, who were all backcountry.
    That was the only time I was questioned, asked for a permit, and had to show my bear can.

I know this isn't answering the IP's question, but since we're talking about the PCT, definitely get up-to-date H20 and snow reports from the PCT website or at the kick- off. They will absolutely help U better manage your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I know this isn't answering the IP's question, but since we're talking about the PCT, definitely get up-to-date H20 and snow reports from the PCT website or at the kick- off. They will absolutely help U better manage your hike.
    Yes, get Asabat (I believe thats who it was) water reports for the south end, you'll hate yourself if you don't...trust me...I did...

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Yes, get Asabat (I believe thats who it was) water reports for the south end, you'll hate yourself if you don't...trust me...I did...
    http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/

I used a Granite Gear Vapor Trail and it was fine. I rarely ever had to use the extension collar (except one time when I packed out a watermelon).

But since then I've gone ULA and will probably never go back. The most popular pack I saw out on the PCT was the ULA Catalyst. Now in my opinion that is overkill for the PCT and if you're carrying enough stuff to fill that pack then you're carrying too much. But, it's a very nice pack and its a great "transition pack" for those who are coming down from big heavy packs into lighter weight gear.

Personally, I use a ULA Conduit now, but that's a pretty small pack and you've gotta go pretty ultra-light to get that to work for you (tarp, minimal clothing, etc.)

But I really love ULA packs and they have one for almost every hiking style it seems.

If I was going to make a "one-size-fits-all" recommendation for a PCT Pack it would be the ULA Circuit. It's smaller than the Catalyst so it will force you to eliminate some of the junk you might be considering carrying... but it's still plenty big enough to carry a bear canister, water in the desert, and long food carries for the rare instances when you will need to do those things.
    Pacific Crest Trail Atlas 2nd Edition
    Pocket-sized Pacific Crest Trail Maps

My Blog: Erik The Black's Backpacking Blog

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

I ordered the Catalyst the other day. I'm not ready for ultralight yet, but I'm working on it. I'd rather have extra space go unused then not have enough when I need it (for food, for example).

The load hauling capacity of the Catalyst is great for when you are hauling large amounts of water in socal. You could probably get by with the new Circuit if you are light enough, but the versatility of the Catalyst was perfect for Socal and the Sierra.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++