I'm wondering what size pack one would want to thru-hike the PCT. I just finished doing a thru of the AT this year, and my pack is a goner. It wasn't much to begin with; a cheap external frame. But the point is, I'm in the market for a new pack, and have plans to do the PCT in '10 (and certainly other shorter trips in the meantime).

So, what size do I need? I'm not ultralight (obvious, as I used a clunky external frame), but AM looking to go lighter. Since most of my old equipment is worn out, I'm keeping that in mind as I re-outfit. But again, I'm no ounce counter (I didn't even weigh my whole pack once until I got to mid PA on the trail... and being horrified, that was the last time too), just your average, if experienced, hiker, willing to forgo some, but not all, comforts (eg, I like hot food/tea at least sometimes, so I will have a stove of some sort).

Actually, on that... what kind of stove is best? Lots of people used alcohol stoves on the AT, but I hear that's not as common on the PCT. I used a Whisperlite; should I go with that? Or reduce weight by going alcohol? Or what? I'm actually thinking of just using wood fires, I saw a guy do that on the AT with a modified coffee can, worked like a Zip Stove but without a fan. but I'd want at least an alcohol stove as a back up; is alcohol available out there?

lastly, do I need a bear canister?