WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    LW, we already watched that back on page 2, but who can forget this classic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPYfaTvHT0
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    There's no wasabi or ginger on the plate though...it's just not right!
    Let's be honest about this. Even if it were there do you really think it would help any?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

No Spam for me, thank you, but I'll take another serving of scrapple, please.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    Spam is best fried, or over a open flame .... gets rid of some of that "spam" taste people don't like ... spam COLD? .. now thats disgusting ... otherwise, its good stuff.

Funny story about cold Spam. Back last winter I was hiking the CBT with some guys. This one guy (Skids, FTS you know who it was) was really rushing everyone along. Well, me not trying to be confrontational and all decided to just go along with his rushing rather than have a confrontation in the middle of the woods. Anyway, I had planned on making myself a little fried spam in a tortilla for lunch, the single serving, foil packed kind. Well I started to get my stove out to cook my single serving and this guy tells me Spam is fine cold, that we really needed to get moving to make the campsite before dark, so I didn't have time to cook it. So, being the non-confrontational kind of guy I am, I just put the cold Spam in my tortilla. Nastiest damn thing I've ever eaten. I mean horrid. And this from a guy who will eat fried Spam and Mac & Cheese any night of the week if I have to. Cold Spam is worse than nothing at all!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    cold Spam in my tortilla. Nastiest damn thing I've ever eaten. I mean horrid. And this from a guy who will eat fried Spam and Mac & Cheese any night of the week if I have to. Cold Spam is worse than nothing at all!!!
    You ever tried Treet?

Spam is pretty low on my list, but Treet is somewhere below raw eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by le loupe View Post
    It's not that kind of sushi, no ginger/wasabi required. In fact, I used to find it at the grocery checkout, wrapped in cellophane, sort of like we might find a pack of gum.

It was delicious and primarily eaten for breakfast as I recall. The nori (seaweed wrap) was a perfect counterpoint.

I tried making it here, but it just wasn't the same...
    Ginger and Wasabi would be traditional compliments to the dish, in the case of the Sushi Spam I'd say...chopped onions and chili on the side? Possibly mustard and relish?

Quote Originally Posted by le loupe View Post
    PS- Hawaii consumes more Spam per capita than any other state...
    It's an Island. They probably consume many more preserved products than we do simply because of availability. Spams in the indestructible aisle like twinkies and ramen noodles.

And Chuck Norris does not eat spam. Chuck Norris CREATES spam. Cans it himself after bodily functions. If you mix spinach with it the Popeye song WILL start playing in your head.

Images

. . . This one guy (Skids, FTS you know who it was) was really rushing everyone along. . .
    Yeah, I think I do. Next time tell him to go screw himself. Life's too short to eat crappy food.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Yeah, I think I do. Next time tell him to go screw himself. Life's too short to eat crappy food.

We won't have that conversation because I ain't hiking with the dude ever again. Issue resolved! 'nuff said!

Images

We won't have that conversation because I ain't hiking with the dude ever again. Issue resolved! 'nuff said!
    No, no, wrong approach. Hike with the guy again, but make sure you've got the keys to the shuttle vehicle in YOUR pocket.

Then tell him to go screw himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    No, no, wrong approach. Hike with the guy again, but make sure you've got the keys to the shuttle vehicle in YOUR pocket.
    this is a very good point and this is why I always drive and carry my keys. Cause I never know when I'm going to be around a buncha cold SPAM eating I'm in a hurry gotta get there before dark hikers.

Images

[quote=SpiritWind;737917] Lurking no longer...a fine thread indeed.
    I'll try it.....I'll try SPAM.
    No green eggs though!

I have learned a great deal from this thread - again my time here on WB has proven to be worthwhile.

~ Spam could be used as sunblock, chapstick, toilet paper, a tent peg, to repair a hole in the rainfly, rolled flat and used as a rainfly, an umbrella, a frisbee, chopsticks, toothpaste, a blob of spam could become a pet to avoid loneliness. Wow! the possibilities are endless.
    quote]

As I sit here I can only imagine how it would feel to use spam as a sub for toilet paper......OOoooooohhhhh refreshing.....

I usually slice thin, boil ten minutes to reduce the sodium and then fry or grill until dark brown.
    Chop intro small pieces and add to anything you'd add ham. Salad, mac-n-cheese, omelet, crackers, porridge, instant mash, stir fry rice, pasta, ....

It's better than any other MRE.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen ... it is safe to go back into the woods!

Hormel, arguably one of America's finest institutions, now packages Spam in single-serving 3oz. foil wrappers! They require no refrigeration, are much lighter than the canned variety and you only use what you need without having to worry about how you'll tote the rest of your Spam down the trail.

Wow. In all my years I never had the stuff. Now I have a slight reason to try it.
    Hell, they don't even require cooking, even, since they're already pre-cooked, so when your .0024 ounce alcohol stove blows off Blood Mountain in a 50-mph gale force wind, you won't freaking starve to death.

22 mouth-watering grams of fat, fat, fat - 32% of the recommended daily intake, with 0g of unhealthy saturated fats, in each slice Spam is probably one of the best trail foods you could purchase. And each slice comes with 11 grams of protein thrown in at no additional charge.

At just 99 cents per slice, you sir and yes even you madam, have run out of reasons for delaying any longer your thru-hike based on mere financial expense. The fine folks at the Hormel factory have solved that pesky problem!

Let's hear directly from our friends at Hormel: "Spam singles are already cooked! This might blow your mind. For your own safety, stop thinking about how easy Spam singles will make your life. It's time to enjoy. Take another bite and throw your head back and think wonderful thoughts of faraway places while you chew, like a magical Spam Castle in the Sky and what a delicious and convenient visit you'd have."

Here! Here!

Ladies and gentlemen, it has been a long day coming. The darkness has been lifted. I say verily unto you, yea as you walk through the valley of the Delaware Water Gap, go forth with confidence knowing that whatever comes at you over the next hill, you have your Spam to help you over it.

You are now free to walk about the trail.
    Wow. In all my years I never tried the stuff. Now I have a slight reason to.
    The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

Thumbs up What a bunch of whiners!...

SPAM has a distinguished past and served honorably in WWII!

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/spam/

"With America’s entry into World War II, SPAM® luncheon meat was called into action overseas. With Allied forces fighting to liberate Europe, we provided 15 million cans of luncheon meat to troops every week. SPAM® luncheon meat became an essential item in soldiers’ diets, often serving as the last line of defense between battle-weary soldiers and starvation. Following the war, world leaders the likes of Dwight Eisenhower, Margaret Thatcher and Nikita Khrushchev all credited SPAM® luncheon meat for its role in the Allied victory."

If you want to see why SPAM was used so extensively, check out the following link:

http://www.qmfound.com/qmcpacific.htm

SPAM was easy to ship, needed no refrigeration, was in a convenient one pound size, and probably saved the lives of untold servicemen and civilians.

Yeah...there is an obligatory SPAM joke in every WWII movie that I can remember, after, when you are in a warzone and being shot at, you understandably would prefer to be home eating Mom's home cooking, but it did serve an essential purpose in feeding the troops, and many civilians.

Remember the airdrop scene in "Empire of the Sun"? The packages always contained SPAM, Hershey bars, etc.

Face it...we are spoiled by our extensive choice of food(s) in the good ol' USA. Buy it or not, but don't denigrate SPAM. They are approaching 1,000,000,000 cans of the stuff produced. They must be doing something right!

Upcoming soon... to a forum near you... my defense of fruitcake!

(PS to Hormel: PM me for my address to send the complimentary cases of SPAM! )

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post

(PS to Hormel: PM me for my address to send the complimentary cases of SPAM! )
    Me too!

Journal Entries

Has anyone ever had Solient Green? Google it up. They even made a movie about it. HO HO.

Journal Entries

Sorry, it is soylent green.

Soylent green.....goood eatin'...has lots of body to it...

Quote Originally Posted by uscgretired View Post
    Could sure go for some Murrell's Chicken & Dumplin's right about now. 20-degrees and eight inches of global warming all over my driveway gotta be shoveled yet tonight.

Exclamation The secret is out!...

Quote Originally Posted by uscgretired View Post
    Det. Thorn: It's SPAM. Soylent Green is made out of SPAM. They're making our food out of SPAM. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Hatcher: I promise, Tiger. I promise. I'll tell the exchange.

Det. Thorn
    : You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! Soylent Green is SPAM We've gotta stop them somehow!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++