WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Hammock vs. Tent... help!!

I have already gotten a tent for my through hike, but have started to hear more and more about hammocks. Is a tent an okay option? Or is it too hard to find flat ground every night?

Images

Dude I took a tent and I loved it. I like my own little space. Not much in a seedhouse but enough for me. I only saw one guy in a hammock. I cant sleep on my back so I guess that I am a ground dweller. Plus I was able to get dressed semi standing up. I dont know how you can do that in a hammock.

Wink

I guess a tent has more advantages in hiking.

More people have thru'd using tents than tarps, hammocks, and bivys combined.

Images

In 500 miles on the AT:
    I never had any problems finding sutable flat ground when I tented.
    I have also never had any problems finding a site while hanging.
    There are a few shelters without flat ground nearby, but those are usually pointed out in the guides & you can probably plan around that.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

The benefits of a hammock are that you might be more comfortable in one, and you most likely will be cooler in one in the summer. The obvious points are that you need trees to use a hammock, you can pitch your tent in the middle of a field. Besides the occasional time and place that you cannot find a suitable flat spot for a tent, the hammock might benefit you if the only flat spots are extremely wet or rocky.
    I'd suggest you buy a cheap hammock, try it out, and if you sleep much better in it, make plans to take it (or switch over to it in the hot summer months where it really shines). Privacy is one thing you won't get with a hammock unless you carry an extra large rainfly.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

thanks for all that advice!!! I'm thinking i'll stick with my tried and true tent, I too like my own little space that I can put all my stuff in. I'm glad to hear that there is ample flat ground!!! This takes a lot of worrying off my mind!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    In 500 miles on the AT:
    I never had any problems finding sutable flat ground when I tented.
    I have also never had any problems finding a site while hanging.
    There are a few shelters without flat ground nearby, but those are usually pointed out in the guides & you can probably plan around that.
    In Maine its hard to find flat ground any old place like in Georgia and North Carolina. If you just want to pull off the trail up there a hammock makes things much easier.

AH let the tent vs tarp vs hammock war begin anew.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    AH let the tent vs tarp vs hammock war begin anew.
    Why is there a war? What does it matter what the other guy uses?
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Doesn't.

Matter, that is.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

If a tent is what you own, then start with a tent. Wait to spend your money until you've been on the trail and get a chance to see how other options work out for other people.

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Why is there a war? What does it matter what the other guy uses?
    its a war because sometimes people forget that what works for them doesn't for others. You just gotta do what's right for you

I wish I could use my hammock, but I'm just not comfortable in it (not a 'back sleeper'). They're so light and would be cooler in the summer heat; I'm jealous of those who can use them. But then, I appreciate the versatility of my one-man dome tent (free standing, relatively spacy, can toss and turn all I like...)

I say go with a tent. That way if you're ever in a grassland, desert, or above-treeline environment, you can use your same shelter. Save your money, don't double-buy!

From an "old" guy. All good advice above. I have tented all my life, except those occasions when you could throw caution to the wind and just sleep under the stars with nothing over you. Currently have 4 tents in my inventory. In '07 I sent my one-man home at Hot Springs and bought a light-weight tarp for the rest of the trek to Damascus (late Apr to May 10th) -worked great - no bugs out yet. Now ('08), I have moved to hammocks almost exclusively for backpacking.
    The Point: Go with what you know and feel comfortable with. As you gain experience and see other ways of doing the outdoors, don't be afraid to try something else that might interest you - HYOH.
    Rockdawg69

Caution: Falling and Rolling Rocks have the Right-of-Way!!!!

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdawg69 View Post
    I have tented all my life, except those occasions when you could throw caution to the wind and just sleep under the stars with nothing over you.
    Ah, my favorite

I use a tent or a tarp. The shelter a person uses is their choice. good luck

Images

anyone use a Speer hammock?

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

AAAH!
    One of the beauties of hiking is

So many gear options, so little time.

They're all good.

Grinder
    peeking at tarp tents

a.k.a "the vagabond" Diamond Diggs's Avatar
    Images

I used a tent for years. I purchased a hammock a couple of years ago, and I dont plan on switching back to sleeping on the ground. I am not a back sleeper myself, I rarely sleep on my back in my hammock, and I sleep very comfortably on my side or stomach up off the hard ground. As far as privacy, I have found that my hammock with use of the rainfly makes it so easy to change clothes or clean up while standing or using the hammock as a chair, by using the rainfly as a petiton. I love the fact that I can use my hammock as both a shelter and a camp chair. The only draw backs is that it sleeps colder than a tent.... but there are many solutions for this as well.

Im not saying that I will never use a tent again, it certainly has its place, but I think it is clear as to my preference - hands down!

For me I am an ex-tent guy (except serious winter trips) and its because it is so much better sleeping comfy! You can use it as a bivy if needed. No need to look for flat spots. I have slept over a small stream and can find big boulders to use as a kitchen area. I will be camped in places you could not do in a tent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++