WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Former Admin

Default Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to

Past hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea......Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to. Man, the water at this Spring. As I walked north on The Trail in '96, I couldn't help but notice every Spring had its own bouquet and taste, like fine wine. Some better, to my taste, than others. Well, the Potaywadjo Spring, was of the finest kind. The Spring just sort of appears out of this 'round' in the ground. Crystal clear, it appears to come from nowhere, I mean, you can't see any unsettling of the soil inside the spring, like water forced under pressure. It always stays at this fixed level, and there's a stream that meanders to Lake Pemadumcook, I think from the Spring. The water was sooooo ggooooddd....here. Try it, You'll Like it.KZ@
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Agreed, this is my favorite water source on the whole trail, saving the best for last (unless you're a crazy sobo, that is). If ever there was a sacred spring, I say this was it. It was a beauty to behold.

It is also where I set my boot on fire one morning. My MSR Whisperlite's fuel pump had broken the first day into the 100 miles, so I was cooking on fires the whole way. But it took until this shelter to realize I was still lugging all that fuel. So I was dumping it out into the fire ring when it caught on fire from last night's embers. The flame followed up the stream of fuel such that I was presently holding a blazing can of fuel. Not good. I panicked, trying to shake the fire out and only splashing burning fuel all over the place (fortunately on the stomped dirt around the fire ring only), and getting a good bit on my boot. More panic ensued, complete with frenzied dancing and yelling. Eventually I got this ridiculous situation under control, with no damage done and my hiking partners all laughing at me.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    Agreed, this is my favorite water source on the whole trail, saving the best for last (unless you're a crazy sobo, that is). If ever there was a sacred spring, I say this was it. It was a beauty to behold.

It is also where I set my boot on fire one morning. My MSR Whisperlite's fuel pump had broken the first day into the 100 miles, so I was cooking on fires the whole way. But it took until this shelter to realize I was still lugging all that fuel. So I was dumping it out into the fire ring when it caught on fire from last night's embers. The flame followed up the stream of fuel such that I was presently holding a blazing can of fuel. Not good. I panicked, trying to shake the fire out and only splashing burning fuel all over the place (fortunately on the stomped dirt around the fire ring only), and getting a good bit on my boot. More panic ensued, complete with frenzied dancing and yelling. Eventually I got this ridiculous situation under control, with no damage done and my hiking partners all laughing at me.

Good times.
    That would also be known as a Kodak Moment.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

Default You bet

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmic Zian View Post
    Yea......Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to. Man, the water at this Spring. As I walked north on The Trail in '96, I couldn't help but notice every Spring had its own bouquet and taste, like fine wine. Some better, to my taste, than others. Well, the Potaywadjo Spring, was of the finest kind. The Spring just sort of appears out of this 'round' in the ground. Crystal clear, it appears to come from nowhere, I mean, you can't see any unsettling of the soil inside the spring, like water forced under pressure. It always stays at this fixed level, and there's a stream that meanders to Lake Pemadumcook, I think from the Spring. The water was sooooo ggooooddd....here. Try it, You'll Like it.KZ@
    I agree, that water is the best on the A.T. You should see it during the snow melt. The fine sand the water "sort of appears" from is boiling over and over like hot lava. Quite a sight. I took a long handled shovel and stuck it in and never touched bottom so don't fall in-no way to know how deep it is. Enjoy.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Images

That was by and large the best spring on the AT. I couldnt believe the flavor of the water. I remember it tasted like rasberries. I filled up on that water! And the spring was really neat looking.
    skinny d

++ New Posts ++