WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks I picked up a few today and I'm putting a pack away for my thru hike. 71% Merino Wool, 21% Nylon, 7% Polyester, and 1% LYCRA Spandex.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I picked up two packs of 4 today for $10 each at my costco. They don't say Smartwool anywhere on them, but most importantly, it does say "Made in USA"
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

What thickness of Smartwool sock do they most closely match up to?

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    What thickness of Smartwool sock do they most closely match up to?
    IMHO, they are closest to the Smartwool Hiker Crew. The weight (3 oz) for size large is the same. The weave appears to be identical as well.

They appeared to be slightly less cushiony, but I am wondering if it is because they weren't washed. It could also be my imagination.

They are a great deal, in any case!

Marty

I really like Darn Tough hiking socks but at that price it is hard to beat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselook Marty View Post
    It could also be my imagination.

They are a great deal, in any case!

Marty
    Thanks!

Images

Found the sams club socks, they're called "omni wool" 75% merino 24% nylon, 1% spandex. 14$ for 3 pairs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    The older I get the less I care whether my socks match are not. As mater of fact, I'm wearing mismatched socks now...seriously folks.
    Me, too. Conformity is overrated.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Just wanted to say THANKS for the tip! I got two packs of them, what a deal!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'm a teacher. I wear them to work. Teenagers would get too much fun out of mismatched socks. Can't have fun at school.

Hey FB!, did you forget the fun & teachings of Patch Adams?

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

went out today and got 2 packs, one for the GF. We should be putting a few miles on them over the next few days.

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tip. I bought two packs and plan to use them for every day wear.

They are more similar to Bass Pro's Red Head brand. They used fewer loops on the inside but made them larger. They feel soft but not as cushioning for full body weight.

I'll stick to the Smartwool for hiking.

Hey, I'm all for saving a few bucks, but let's compare a Delicious apple to a Delicious apple and Navel orange to a Navel orange. Do U really think THE SAME QUALITY LEVEL of a pair of Smartwool socks bought at, REI for instance, for $15 R selling 4 pairs for $10 at Costco???

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

All I know s that I've had these expensive sorts of socks fall apart on me after just a few weeks of hiking. So, might as well save some dinero and buy the cheap ones. They're made of basically the same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hey, I'm all for saving a few bucks, but let's compare a Delicious apple to a Delicious apple and Navel orange to a Navel orange. Do U really think THE SAME QUALITY LEVEL of a pair of Smartwool socks bought at, REI for instance, for $15 R selling 4 pairs for $10 at Costco???
    I wear both the Costcos and the Smartwool brand I've bought at LL Beans. In my opinion there's no quality difference, and in fact I think the Costcos are better because the hem at the top is wider. Just my opinion.

Yes, the quality is the same. I use heavier Smartwools for hiking but only because of the thickness.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Do you seriously think that REI and Cosco have the same markup ???

Also, some buyers come across great deals sometimes and pass those deals over to their customers.
    That's how some companies survive.

Perhaps Costco should sell them for twice as much, maybe you'd think differently???
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

OK OK I new I would get some heat from my comment. Now, I have to go over to Costco and check out these Smartwool socks.

Hi, I'm back. Those Costco Smartwool socks R terrible. But, hey U R in luck. I can sell U Smartwool socks that look just like the ones being sold at Costco for $3 per pair! Now, that's capitalism! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All!

Oops, forgot the k in new.

Images

Thumbs up

Went out over the weekend and bought two packs of the Costco socks, the 4-pack for $9.99. I think they look just great. Even if they weren't, I'd be able to wear them around the house and yard instead of wearing out my expensive Smartwool REI socks.

WARNING, don't wash and dry the Costco socks on normal heat in the dryer. They will shrink! Mine did. Fortunately, my daughter wears smaller socks than I do, so she just inherited 4 pair of nice socks.

I also checked out the Sam's 3-pack of "Omni-wool" socks, for $14.99. Might pick up a pack of them too.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++