WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Where to put food bag

Hi this is a question for everone that still use external packs do you carry your food in the top compartment or the bottom compartment. The reason i am asking is i am starting my thur of Feb 4 2009 so i have to have more clothing and the clothing is hard to fit in the bottom compartment i carry my sleeping bag on the outside tie to the bottom my tent is up top. what to you guys do

Images

Back when I used one I put the food in the bottom section. My dad was using one this summer when we hiked through the hundred mile wilderness and he had his food in the bottom, but at the beginning food was everywhere in his pack.

Up top, either inside my pot or on top of it, just under my rain gear, and towards the front (that side of the pack that watches where you've been, while walking). The only time I can remember putting the food bag in the bottom was when I also had way too many clothes, and they wouldn't fit.

YMMV, HYOH

I haven't used an external in years, but when I did, the food was up top, just under the windbreaker and/or the rain jacket and the warm up jacket for rest stops. Since the food is generally heavy and dense, loading it up high and as close to your back is wise (I still do this with my frameless packs, even though some say that the heavy stuff should be in the middle of the pack).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

For some reason, it never seems to be in the same place twice. All depends on the size of the food bag at the moment, coupled with when I grab it while packing. Not to mention how I feel while packing.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Get a compression sack and put all of your clothes in it. You'll be amazed at how much space you can save....even if the stuff comes out pretty wrinkled!

Food on top right under my rain gear.

tideblazer
    Images

Dinners on the bottom, snacks on top
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

My bag/bivy goes at the bottom, then my food bag in the middle, then my miscellaneous bag at the top.

Default external frame packing

You'll figure out quick which way to pack your tent and sleeping bag. Some like one or the other up top or down bottom. I still use an external and pack my main food bag on top of my clothes under my rain gear in the middle compartment . And most if not all snacks go into one of the great features of an external, lots of outside pockets.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Might also look into a belt pouch for snacks, camera etc. Mine was invaluable.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Thank for the help that i found a dry sack at walmart i can get all most my stuff in it.Still can't make up my mine on the camp jacket 200 weight fleece or my primloft jacket the primloft jake will fold up in it own pocket the fleece wolud be in a stuff bag i found at kmart i plan on puting the dry sack in a trash bag the same with the fleece if i take it. What one would you guys take

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

I just did a thru with an external frame pack. Heavy stuff goes up top: food, cookware, fuel bottle, tent; heaviest stuff closest to your back as possible. Lighter stuff in the bottom: clothes, mainly, in my case. But my raingear also went in the top, most of the time. I just crammed stuff in there, yaknow?

I assume you have side pockets for your water bottles, or else stick your bladder in the top too, I guess. I never used one, not sure how that'd work.

++ New Posts ++