Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We encountered the hell beast at the bottom of Devils Mountain! There were three dogs with the lil bull dog being the agitator. The old man on the porch is was a scum bag and did nothing to reign in his dogs. The lil one pounced on again about half way up the hill and almost got the business end of my stick! After reading about similar adverse encounters I will contacting the animal control office and making a complaint. Even a dog that does not bite can cause a terrible fall on that section. I placed a informal call into the Hamilton County Sheriffs Dept to make them aware of this hazard to hikers.

On the topic of the Guide Book:

We use the pocket data book rather then a GPS to track our progress. Perhaps a digital version (PDF) could be created that could print out just what you need for the section you are planning. Kinda like a one stop shop. We found that the MySuwanneeRiver site had great maps of the FT available in day sized chunks:

http://www.mysuwanneeriver.com/DocumentView.asp?DID=117

I would gladly pay per section (3 day chunks) as much as $10.00 for highly detailed maps, mileage, water sources, and good campsites.

I like the idea of the grab and gos but they do not have quite enough info for my info junky needs. And the current $5.00 maps are to small of a scale to hike from.

I would not like to have to buy the whole trails worth of data as we just cherry pick the one we want to do.

Just some thoughts,
    Joel

Journal Entries
    Images

Default What Do You Think?

It would be nice to get the maps online just the sections one would like. More detail as far as water,resupply, & mileage, the map I just got is not good for detail at all kinda feel like it was a waste of money. Guess that's why you need the data book more cost and one more item to carry. Is there any way you can put all info on maps off to the side with the legend. I don't think the surrounding area on the map other than the trail is a concern unless it is a resupply,water or point of interest. Than you could get your Grab and Go Hikes all on one page same size you have now. Now that would be a big seller (I think) plus it could save on paper waste thinking Green right FTA!

I like the idea of downloadable sections for a fee. That way they could be kept current more easily. Will discuss with the bigwigs and see what comes of it. I just know whatever I do they don't want cutting into map sales ... which could also be downloadable at this point. Lndwlkr, the maps used to have the data off to the side and then they put it in the data book so two maps could fit on one piece of paper. It would make sense to synch the downloadable section with a map. I think I'll make a sample based on last week's backpacking trip and run it by the FTA office, see what happens.

Cheers, Navigator

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

No need for a FT guide. Just carry a Nat Geo road atlas. The highlights of the FT are the road walks or is it the brackish water sources? Maybe it is the chest deep Everglades swamp reminded me too much of Ranger school for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by floridahikes View Post
    I like the idea of downloadable sections for a fee. That way they could be kept current more easily. Will discuss with the bigwigs and see what comes of it. I just know whatever I do they don't want cutting into map sales ... which could also be downloadable at this point. Lndwlkr, the maps used to have the data off to the side and then they put it in the data book so two maps could fit on one piece of paper. It would make sense to synch the downloadable section with a map. I think I'll make a sample based on last week's backpacking trip and run it by the FTA office, see what happens.

Cheers, Navigator
    I found that the maps of Suwannee WMD were much more detailed then the official FTA maps. The PDF we downloaded were just about 1 day/10 miles and we printed other info we needed on the reverse side (such as the revelant trail data book pages) of the 8x11 sheet and just burned yesterdays maps in the fire, to reduce my pack weight of course:-)!!!

Images

Sandy, I love the look of your new site. Pretty cool.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Thanks, BJ. I was tired of the old forum being so tough to wade through. I messed around with a couple of options this summer and finally decide to go with this one because I wanted to share my backpacking photos with the rest of the group. More overhaul to the main website soon! The new forum lets you upload photos, videos, write your own blog posts, post activities, ask questions, connect with friends, all kinda like Facebook. It's at http://my.floridahikes.com

Cheers, Navigator

Images

I certainly do appreciate it. Thanks for the hard work.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Did you get anywhere with the big wigs? This might be a good topic for the upcoming conference. I am becoming frustrated trying to plan adventures and this type of guide would be a well worth the money to me. I think it is important to simplify the process of planning and getting out the door. I like the grab and go hikes on the site, but they seem more geared to small mileage.

I had a few more thoughts on what to include on a section based E-Guide Zip file:
    A MP3 podcast discussing trivia or highlights for each section (in a call in show format?).
    Parking and transport options such as the availability cabs/portage services with contact #/websites.
    The pertinent GPX/FML files for GPS users with waypoints for recommended primitive camps, start/finish trail heads, water sources, etc...
    Photo Gallery of that section.

Doubt I will square it away before the conference, but am planning to talk at length to folks about it while there. I like your ideas!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++