WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Need Winter Hiking Tips

Well I got a break at work and with the holiday schedule I'll be out of the office for 11 days (what a shame ) I'd like to get out and do a 4-6 day hike through Connecticut and Mass. However, I've never done a true overnight winter hike. The closest I've come is mid November down in the NC/GA area.

So I was thinking about the unique challenges a winter hike presents and here are a few that come to mind:

Length of Day - Must wake up earlier, and cover more miles in a shorter time

Night time Temps - Being prepared to sleep through the night in much colder conditions, this means carrying much warmer gear

Snow - Dealing with small to large amounts of snow. This is where I'm most concerned

Are there any other unique issues w/ winter backpacking I should be aware of?

Tips?

Images

You need a plan to keep your water in a liquid state
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    You need a plan to keep your water in a liquid state
    Tips?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Tips?
    Some say you can use a platypus and blow the water out the tube but that does not work for me. It eventually freezes up. Bring bottles and keep them inside your pack upside down. I keep 1 insulated bike bottle close at hand. heat them up in the morning and have warm water to drink. You'll drink more and keep your core temp up. Heat them up at night and sleep with them. Do not sleep with a platy. Had one burst on me last morning of a section hike. Really stunk as I lost half my water when the west side of GSMNP was dry a year ago.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Thanks for this, I don't use Platypus bottles anyway, strictly a 32 oz gatorade bottle man.

Mass and conn don't appear to have much snow at this time if this map is at all accurate.
    Keep moving is a common tip when hiking in the colder months, quick breaks
    to snack and drink .
    Its either hike in the dark under headlamp or turn in early this time of year.

Double up on sleeping pads if ground sleeping so you don't melt/thaw the snow/ground under you.
    I carry a insulated pouch which holds two 1 qt, gatorade bottles, no probs with freezing water even overnight.
    Any more specific questions....?
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I carry a insulated pouch which holds two 1 qt, gatorade bottles, no probs with freezing water even overnight.
    Any more specific questions....?
    Link to this product for purchase?

Mine is from Arctic Zone, a collapsible cooler, probably meant for something else but it is just right for 2 1 qt bottles, similar items can be found in many dept stores.
    WALK ON

Woodsy, thanks for this!

And FWIW, with your refrigerator on your back, you can bring whatever perishable food items you like, if its real cold, bite size items are good, they thaw easier in mouth.
    I usually bring along some cooked meat , steak, sausage/bacon mmmmmmmmmm
    WALK ON

The longer you are out, the more chance of adverse conditions, give yourself a little leeway in your mileage plan. Also, reduce your daily mileage factor a little.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    And FWIW, with your refrigerator on your back, you can bring whatever perishable food items you like, if its real cold, bite size items are good, they thaw easier in mouth.
    I usually bring along some cooked meat , steak, sausage, mmmmmmmmmm

Oh that is a great idea!

Is this the style of insulated bag I should pick up?

Maybe one for food, one for water.

http://www.amazon.com/Ensign-Insulat...9308802&sr=8-2

Garlic
    Images

Will you be able to find liquid water to drink along the way? If you need to melt snow, you'll need extra fuel. If it's powder snow, it's possible to burn a pot if you don't keep the bottom of the pot wet.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

me thinks the streams in CT and Mass are still running.

RIT - Try not to sweat. If you find yourself sweating, either take off some clothes or slow down. That sweat is REAL cold once you stop.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

About half your pack weight should be dry wool socks.

Seriously, winter footwear is really important.

Read a good winter camping book. I believe AMC had one.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    About half your pack weight should be dry wool socks.

Seriously, winter footwear is really important.

Read a good winter camping book. I believe AMC had one.
    Good suggestion. I'll hit the bookstore tmrw.

Plenty of water in CT. Just sleep with your gatorade bottles in your bag and they will not freeze up. Be very careful with icy bare rock areas in that section. Hiking sticks required, crampons probably overkill.

Layer up and remove layers as you hike. I am just coming off a 2 day hike starting in 20 degree weather, nothing serious, and I was too warm with 4 layers, wool hat, gloves. Standard take off the hat to regulate body heat helps somewhat, but if I was doing more miles, I would have took off pack to delayer.

My 20 degree bag is good to about 15 degrees when sleeping with dry clothes.

Don't discount traction devices. The last few storms to come through have been mostly rain events, followed by deep freezes. It will be mightly slick in a lot of spots. Bog bridges when covered with ice can be deadly.

Full crampons will likely be more trouble then thier worth, but some kind of small spikes or boot chains would be in order. I see you can even get these at Wal-mart noow. Not great stuff, but will likely last the trip.

You don't need to wear much while hiking, but have a change of dry and warm stuff ready for camp. Don't start out in the morning overdressed, you'll start to sweat pretty quickly.

If your crossing the CT/MASS line, Sage ravine and Race Mt could be something of a challenge. That will likely be the hardest part of the hike. Hope you have good weather!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

-Get out the clothes you'll think you'll need and add another layer. Try not to sweat, constantly change outfit (On/off hat gloves, open/close vents, etc) DO not take any cotton, AKA death cloth.
    -White gas stove, 1/3 quart per person per day in winter
    -Turn your stuff sack inside out, place boots inside and put in bag to keep them warm and dry out over night.
    -Plan on walking 2/3 of regular mileage b/c cold, snow, dark, snowshoes. Much less if post holing
    -Sleep with water, camera, headlamp (anything you don't want to freeze up)
    -Bring a pee bottle unless you can pee out the tent or don't mind getting dressed and going outside (bring a pee bottle)
    -take a tent
    -Know your limits and have plans to be able to get off trail if needed (blizzard, ice storm)
    OMHO but have camped below zero many times, in wind chill -25 last January (here in NC)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++