WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Split from Straight Forward: Hotels vs. Hostels

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    you staying at the holiday inns or hostels?
    sometimes it is worth it at the holiday inn. I was just out at the Hiawassee one the other day with some sobos and even after the hiker rate is gone it was 80 bucks. If you throw 4 people in thats 20 bucks a person. Same cost as the Cloud 9 and much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4FAM View Post
    sometimes it is worth it at the holiday inn. I was just out at the Hiawassee one the other day with some sobos and even after the hiker rate is gone it was 80 bucks. If you throw 4 people in thats 20 bucks a person. Same cost as the Cloud 9 and much nicer.
    4 hikers sharing a motel room totally sucks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yeah, i wouldn't do it either, but it beats sleeping in the shed at cloud 9

Images

Nah, he makes a good point. As much as hostels are steeped in AT tradition, I sometimes wonder why others elect to stay in hostels over motels also, when you could split a room for a similar price.

Motels generally feature better amenities, less rules and more freedom to do things like stay up and watch a great movie, come and go as you please, etc.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

i loathe hostels but love motels. i never share a room when in town

less rules? more freedom? check in time, check out time, phone deposit, quiet hours, no pets allowed, only 4 to a room, reservations, weekend rates........

less rules? more freedom? check in time, check out time, phone deposit, quiet hours, no pets allowed, only 4 to a room, reservations, weekend rates........
    Lol! I think they meant the hostels tend to have more restrictions such as arrive before 9pm or no alcohol, etc.... Most motels will work with you as long as you are honest. " Sir, me and 7 of my friends are hiking and we would like to share a room." " Ok, extra $20 a night, you want to stay 2 nights? No maid service, here's some extra towels."
    One place even offered us some "concierge" service in the form of "green tobacco" by the ounce and some companionship.

You ultimately control the cost of your hike! Minimalist, very few frills for months on end, you can do it for 3k or under. But the extras add up quick. Chip in on a $15 pizza order in every town? That's an extra $250. Go to the AYCE buffett every other town? That would be about $200.
    Having your trip paid for by Backpacker or some movie production company? Priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Nah, he makes a good point. As much as hostels are steeped in AT tradition, I sometimes wonder why others elect to stay in hostels over motels also, when you could split a room for a similar price.

Motels generally feature better amenities, less rules and more freedom to do things like stay up and watch a great movie, come and go as you please, etc.
    1) it does cost less to stay in hostels 2) they are generally closer to the trail 3) you are with like minded people whom you could share your trail experience with as opposed to indifferent hotel employees and guests 4) log books and pictures from years past and present(AT tradition)to enjoy. 5) often more scenic. its nicer waking up to woods or mountains rather than in some rectangular building between McDonalds and the Mobil station. 6)kitchen facilities. its nice to go out to eat now and then but a good home cooked meal costs less and tastes better 7) dogs are welcome 8) no rigid check-in/check-out times 9)maildrops accepted 10) better info on reroutes, closings, weather, shelter availability etc...

Images

I don't buy it. I don't have pet nor do I know what phone deposits are. 4 to a room is simple, check out hour is simple. WHo makes reservations or stays on weekend on a thru-hike?

I guess it comes down to what type of person you are. Waiting on a shower line behind 9 dirty hikers, managing a kitchen with 6 others cooking, figuring out who left the load of laundry before you can start yours, what shuttle run are you back to the trail, gotta watch the crappy movie the guy who got there first picked, quiet at 8pm cause some old guys decided they're going back to the trail at 530am to do a 30......

You get the drift I guess we'll agree to disagree, rant over.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

dont get me wrong ive stayed in hotels/motels also. but hostels like Standing Bear Farm, the Hikers Welcome, the Bears Den, Back Home Again, Green Mountain House, Elmers, just to name a few would be my pick over a hotel/motel any day.

I don't buy it. I don't have pet nor do I know what phone deposits are. 4 to a room is simple, check out hour is simple. WHo makes reservations or stays on weekend on a thru-hike?

I guess it comes down to what type of person you are. Waiting on a shower line behind 9 dirty hikers, managing a kitchen with 6 others cooking, figuring out who left the load of laundry before you can start yours, what shuttle run are you back to the trail, gotta watch the crappy movie the guy who got there first picked, quiet at 8pm cause some old guys decided they're going back to the trail at 530am to do a 30......

You get the drift I guess we'll agree to disagree, rant over.
    Death to Smoochie was a cinematic masterpiece. How dare you call it crappy

What's to argue? Some people like motels, shared or not, over hostels and visa versa. On my 1st AT hike, I stayed mostly in hostels, but as I get older I now prefer motels.

Back to the topic, as David started pointing out but dropped the ball, it depends on long a hike you have. Figure $500-$750 per month.

Images

I agree with A-Train and also think sharing a hotel room with three others is a good alternative to hostels when you get into town. For slightly more money you get a cleaner place with a real bed and shower and a tv.

I don't sleep well in hostels.. can't run around in your bra and shorts either..lol.. plus, my dog sleeps WAY better in a motel .. where she can relax... and I get ALL the hot water... I have done alot of sharing rooms as well to save $. it is'nt bad but having some privacy is a sweet thing. $$$ though.

Images

You have to pick your hostels carefully. No motel I ever stayed at had a breakfast like Shaws or The Cabin or Mountain Harbour.

Yes, there is THAT..Shaws breakfast.. my Lord.. yummy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    You have to pick your hostels carefully. No motel I ever stayed at had a breakfast like Shaws or The Cabin or Mountain Harbour.
    And don't forget White House Landing just off the AT in the Hundred Mile Wilderness.
    ONE POUND HAMBURGERS!!!!!! Yes, I ate one, but couldn't go for a second.
    They have a couple of private cabins and a hiker bunkhouse. I opted for the smallest cabin because I snore and warned my fellow hikers beforehand. They totally backed me on my decison.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default remember Standing Bear, Yappy

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    I don't sleep well in hostels.. can't run around in your bra and shorts either..lol.. plus, my dog sleeps WAY better in a motel .. where she can relax... and I get ALL the hot water... I have done alot of sharing rooms as well to save $. it is'nt bad but having some privacy is a sweet thing. $$$ though.
    Lets see, you didn't stay the night, as I remember... but you were lying there sunning in something sort of like a bathing suit, or was it your bra and shorts?

Now, don't hold back. Tell us what U really feel!

[quote=A-Train;741088]I don't buy it. ... 4 to a room is simple, check out hour is simple.

Anti-social independent I'M GOING TO DO IT MYYY WAY SOB! @#!% Naw Yorkers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++