WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Default 2011

It's looking more and more like 2011 will be my year for a through attempt. I am getting more and more serious about retiring at the end of this school year (June 2010). It's two or three years sooner than my original plan but I don't want to wait until I am too old to hike at least the AT and PCT. Financially its dooable, but a little close.
    In the event I retire I will do my usual hiking this Summer but extend it into September. I am thinking about another JMT hike after the mosquitos subside.
    As soon as the snows come to the mountains I will get a season pass at some ski area and ski until mid March. I hope this will keep me in good shape for my hike and not induce an injury. I anticipate a Northbound start in the second half of March.
    My sister hiked from Damascus to SNP with me this past Summer but she is not certain whether she will accompany me on a through hike. She enjoyed the six weeks of hiking but she is not sure that she is up for six months of hiking.
    My wife is not a hiker but we plan on her making a couple of trips out to meet me for few days. In addition I imagine she will take me to Georgia and meet me in Maine.
    Not a day goes by that I don't daydream about being out on the trail, I love my job but I love the trail life more.
    I sure am enjoying reading this thread and hearing of the folks that I should meet along the way.

Thanks Traildust - I found a place to email a request for a name change, hopefully that will work.

How exciting for you Richard! What kind of teaching do you do? It sounds like I might be pulling up the rear by starting in April. I'll have to have a chat with the hubby and see what his thoughts are on the matter.

I love that we can all 'meet up' on this thread so far in advance - doesn't feel so 'lonely' starting alone!
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Default all systems go!

I just got the ok from my boss to take a leave of absence from March-September of '11!!!! Woohooo! I look forward to meeting some of you out there

Images

Quote Originally Posted by apudreamer View Post
    I just got the ok from my boss to take a leave of absence from March-September of '11!!!! Woohooo! I look forward to meeting some of you out there
    Good deal. Nice boss. 1 year 1 month 16 days to go.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Thanks Traildust!

I am indeed very lucky for the job and boss that I have. I don't think he has a clue how excited this has made me, but at least he said yes. Now I can begin planning NOBO 2011 in earnest.

Planning on leaving March 12th 2011 for Georgia, and setting off that monday, the 14th. I'm interested in finding some people to talk to in the next year. Just to not feel so alone in all this.

Quote Originally Posted by omoucsrevir24 View Post
    Planning on leaving March 12th 2011 for Georgia, and setting off that monday, the 14th. I'm interested in finding some people to talk to in the next year. Just to not feel so alone in all this.
    This is probably the place to be to talk to other folks! Some very interesting people here

SOBO for me Late May/Early June 2011

Turtle Feet,

Should see you at Springer or close by. I've been waiting and planning for 20 years to do this. Doing dome shakedowns on the AT in MD & PA. Plannin my schdule and buying supplies to pack.

Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    Turtle Feet,

Should see you at Springer or close by. I've been waiting and planning for 20 years to do this. Doing dome shakedowns on the AT in MD & PA. Plannin my schdule and buying supplies to pack.

Tumbleweed
    Are you going with a tent or hammock Tumbleweed???

Quote Originally Posted by dan213 View Post
    SOBO for me Late May/Early June 2011
    I'll be sure to wave as you go by Dan ....

turtlefeet

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Are you going with a tent or hammock Tumbleweed???
    Hammocking early in a hike (like for a March start) can be cold unless you are used to wintering in a hammock.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Right now I am going with a tent. I have been pondering a hammock/tarp but will probably stay with a tent since I already have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Hammocking early in a hike (like for a March start) can be cold unless you are used to wintering in a hammock.
    That's a concern of mine. Since we've got about a year yet, and I live in far northern Wisconsin, I'm going to take the opportunity to give it a good long trial period - experiment with different insulations.

Doubt I would be happy in an overcrowded shelter, and the cold hard ground doesn't hold much appeal to me anymore either.

If I can't come up with a workable cold weather hammock solution, I have a nice little one man tent I can use for a few weeks. Pretty sure I won't be carrying it the whole way though.

If I can pick up a hammock in the next few weeks, I'll have a couple of chilly months up here now to work with it.

There's so much to learn with the 'hangin' culture'. Hammock, tarp, top insul., bottom insul., riggings... too many decisions. My suspicion is that like tenting, 'good is never good enough' ... we're always striving for the next, newest, lightest, most improved product, system, whatever...lol.

Think I'll just have to make a decision and work with it. Love the idea though, especially in a thru-hike situation, where you're pretty much moving every night. No need to set up an elaborate camp, out of the pack, easy up, easy down, back in the pack and away you go.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!!!

Well, I added a Thermarest Pro Lite pad and an Anitgravity stove with Caldera Cone to my inventory. Still trying to lower my weight.

Am I alone or is anyone else getting obsessed in planning. It seems I am thinking about every step and I'm still 15 months from the start, can't wait.

Tumbleweed.

Well, I added a Thermarest Pro Lite pad and an Anitgravity stove with Caldera Cone to my inventory. Still trying to lower my weight.

Am I alone or is anyone else getting obsessed in planning. It seems I am thinking about every step and I'm still 15 months from the start, can't wait.

Tumbleweed.

You are not remotely alone. I find myself dreaming and planning constantly.

Images

Tumbleweed.
    Sorry I couldn't respond to this sooner. I was busy obsessively planning my thru-hike.

Seriously though, I have found that weekend overnight trips along the AT and other trails here in VA have been most beneficial. I've been able to find out what works for me and what doesn't; how much weight I can comfortably carry; how I can more efficiently pack; and basically test out my gear. I've had to make a few changes from what I've learned on these trips and I have more planned in the future.

Looking forward to 2011!

Tumbleweed.
    Got my Nano7 (hammock) today! Talk obessive, I've hung it up already. I was out of town over the weekend, and stopped at the PO on the way home to pick up my mail and there it was. I saw the envelope, but it was so lightweight that I thought maybe it was just the sales receipt or something that they shipped separately. Opened it up and sure enough, one complete hammock, it's advertised as being 6.7oz with it's two end carabiners and I would say that's about right.

It's about 20 degrees here right now, but I'm going to pull out my thermarest and sleeping bag and see how it feels. Not that my current 'insulation' set-up will be ok, but I'm just DYING to try this little thing out.

Yes, Tumbleweed, we're all chomping at the bit - it's almost time to start the countdown clock...lol.

I would say, the one item I definitely need to lighten up on it's my current backpack. I've been visiting some of the ultra-light sites and eyeing a couple of packs there. I think, beyond switching over my sleeping arrangements, the pack will be my single biggest expensive on new equipement.

Here's a question...Does anyone else have a Steri-Pen water purifier? Wondering what you think of it if you do... I haven't had alot of luck with my, but just wondering if it's 'operator error'. What does everyone use for purification (if anything)?

Images

Default For Sale

Got a new Granite Gear Lattitude Vapor. Used one day on an 8 miles hike. Size large. Selling for $150.00 which includes postage to mail back to you. PM me if interested.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Quote Originally Posted by traildust View Post
    Got a new Granite Gear Lattitude Vapor. Used one day on an 8 miles hike. Size large. Selling for $150.00 which includes postage to mail back to you. PM me if interested.
    Sounds like a good deal Traildust... I'm going to need a short torso, probably 'med' belt. I'm looking at the Gossimer Gear Mariposa - we'll see...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++