WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Registered User beautifulpoetman's Avatar

Cjevne:

I will begin a NOBO thruhike during the last weekend of February 2011. It means a week more of cold weather, but I want to hike a little slower. I think the earlier start has real advantages. Some of these guys start January. I have been studying up on cold weather hiking-- layers!

Anyway, feel free to contact me as we get closer to 2011!

Joe Schmidt, aka "JoFu"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulpoetman View Post
    Cjevne:

I will begin a NOBO thruhike during the last weekend of February 2011. It means a week more of cold weather, but I want to hike a little slower. I think the earlier start has real advantages. Some of these guys start January. I have been studying up on cold weather hiking-- layers!

Anyway, feel free to contact me as we get closer to 2011!

Joe Schmidt, aka "JoFu"
    Joe,
    Come on over and hike some of the Trace between now and next year. The Northern Section is a good training section.

traildust
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Turtle Feet,

I have used Katadyn Micro Pure tablets for a few years now.I used them at Philmont Ranch with my son. I throw one in each Nalgene bottle, wait five minutes, release the air bubbles and drink. They are light and relatively inexpensive. I also have a First Need filter system.

Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Got my Nano7 (hammock) today! Talk obessive, I've hung it up already. I was out of town over the weekend, and stopped at the PO on the way home to pick up my mail and there it was. I saw the envelope, but it was so lightweight that I thought maybe it was just the sales receipt or something that they shipped separately. Opened it up and sure enough, one complete hammock, it's advertised as being 6.7oz with it's two end carabiners and I would say that's about right.

It's about 20 degrees here right now, but I'm going to pull out my thermarest and sleeping bag and see how it feels. Not that my current 'insulation' set-up will be ok, but I'm just DYING to try this little thing out.

Yes, Tumbleweed, we're all chomping at the bit - it's almost time to start the countdown clock...lol.

I would say, the one item I definitely need to lighten up on it's my current backpack. I've been visiting some of the ultra-light sites and eyeing a couple of packs there. I think, beyond switching over my sleeping arrangements, the pack will be my single biggest expensive on new equipement.

Here's a question...Does anyone else have a Steri-Pen water purifier? Wondering what you think of it if you do... I haven't had alot of luck with my, but just wondering if it's 'operator error'. What does everyone use for purification (if anything)?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    Turtle Feet,

I have used Katadyn Micro Pure tablets for a few years now.I used them at Philmont Ranch with my son. I throw one in each Nalgene bottle, wait five minutes, release the air bubbles and drink. They are light and relatively inexpensive. I also have a First Need filter system.

Tumbleweed
    Aqua Mira works fine for the trail.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post

Am I alone or is anyone else getting obsessed in planning. It seems I am thinking about every step and I'm still 15 months from the start, can't wait.

Tumbleweed.
    The only thing I am probably worried about, not obsessively though is our meal planning. We're just not into the whole "buy whatever you can find in trail towns" ... I've been running some food drop / zero day scenarios on a spreadsheet trying to get a plan in my head for what I will need to buy, cook, dehydrate and store over the summer and fall.

Here's a question...Does anyone else have a Steri-Pen water purifier? Wondering what you think of it if you do... I haven't had alot of luck with my, but just wondering if it's 'operator error'. What does everyone use for purification (if anything)?
    I tried one on one trip, took it back to store after I got back. It kept flickering on and off.

I like to carry about a liter of water in a Camelback so so for that we have a filter that attaches to the drinking tube.

In camp we use a 4 liter water bag to tote back from source and 2 part Potable Aqua to treat. I don't like the taste of Aquamira or other substitutes and dont like having to flavor my water all the time either so the neutralizer in Potable Aqua is rather nice.

Some people think it's dumb to carry a filter. I find the 12 ounces to be negligible and it's easier to use a water bladder with. Try both on your trips their in Wisconsin and see what works best for you, then go with it and don't worry about what anyone else says

Images

Start dates. Two years now, the weather has been tough for early starters. 2010 seems to be running real tough for early starters. I wonder, and maybe in the next few months I will do it, if you compared start dates to completion you might see a pattern or some sign on how success might be greater if you start later. At any rate, we started in 07 on March 3rd, after a huge thunderstorm in Georgia. Weather was cold but manageable. But then again, one misstep and its done and as we learned, a simple cough in the morning. Before the coffee is hot and we were done. Its a crap shoot really. At any rate, we are strongly considering moving it back to 1 April because we know we can get to Maine in plenty of time.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Quote Originally Posted by traildust View Post
    Start dates. Two years now, the weather has been tough for early starters. 2010 seems to be running real tough for early starters. I wonder, and maybe in the next few months I will do it, if you compared start dates to completion you might see a pattern or some sign on how success might be greater if you start later. At any rate, we started in 07 on March 3rd, after a huge thunderstorm in Georgia. Weather was cold but manageable. But then again, one misstep and its done and as we learned, a simple cough in the morning. Before the coffee is hot and we were done. Its a crap shoot really. At any rate, we are strongly considering moving it back to 1 April because we know we can get to Maine in plenty of time.
    Traildust, I really love the idea of a graph of some sort showing start dates relative to completions (do you have time to do something like that???)! Wonder how much it really would vary from year to year? I'm guessing, unless there were some VERY significant weather event, that the numbers would hold to a fairly consistent pattern year over year.

I was originally planning a 4/2/11 start 'cause my wedding anniversary is 4/1, (#25, kindof a big deal). But looking at the map and making a few calculations, I think if I started around 3/14, I could be at Fontana Dam by the 4/1 and meet up with my husband there for a nice little break (I'd probably like one by then) and I understand it's a fairly nice little resort, so now I'm leaning toward that plan.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

2011 SOBO or NOBO.
    Still un-decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    2011 SOBO or NOBO.
    Still un-decided.
    ...awe, come on and go NOBO with us! I hear there's hardly an NOBO'ers next year ...

I'm planning on joining the NOBO Class of 2011 sometime in mid February. Maybe even Valentine's day, just for a hoot!
    Credendo Vides

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingMelissa View Post
    I'm planning on joining the NOBO Class of 2011 sometime in mid February. Maybe even Valentine's day, just for a hoot!
    Yay! You'll be ahead of me for sure, but you never know, our paths may cross.

Images

Traildust, I really love the idea of a graph of some sort showing start dates relative to completions (do you have time to do something like that???)! Wonder how much it really would vary from year to year? I'm guessing, unless there were some VERY significant weather event, that the numbers would hold to a fairly consistent pattern year over year.

I was originally planning a 4/2/11 start 'cause my wedding anniversary is 4/1, (#25, kindof a big deal). But looking at the map and making a few calculations, I think if I started around 3/14, I could be at Fontana Dam by the 4/1 and meet up with my husband there for a nice little break (I'd probably like one by then) and I understand it's a fairly nice little resort, so now I'm leaning toward that plan.

With the snow falling, who knows, I might take it on. Fontana is a perfect place to stop for an anniversary. Great rooms,great food, great views.

Yay! You'll be ahead of me for sure, but you never know, our paths may cross.
    Probably shall, I'm a bit of a slow goer on trails. I tend to look around and poke things, and then sleep in.
    Credendo Vides

Probably shall, I'm a bit of a slow goer on trails. I tend to look around and poke things, and then sleep in.
    I'm a knitter myself, but not sure about bringing any projects along, at least not in the beginning, we'll see how well I can occupy myself in the evenings. I'm usually so tired at the end of the day, after dinner I'm over and out!

I was planning on working on some new felted slippers (I wore the bottom out of the last pair), but maybe I'll put my needled to task on a new wool hat!

I'm a knitter myself, but not sure about bringing any projects along, at least not in the beginning, we'll see how well I can occupy myself in the evenings. I'm usually so tired at the end of the day, after dinner I'm over and out!

I was planning on working on some new felted slippers (I wore the bottom out of the last pair), but maybe I'll put my needled to task on a new wool hat!
    Have you tried adding a leather sole to your slippers? It helps them last longer.
    Credendo Vides

Have you tried adding a leather sole to your slippers? It helps them last longer.
    Well, after the bottoms started wearing I thought about it... ...oh well, I'm in the mood for a different color anyway --

just putting my name into the 2011 pool.leaving mid march. just started planing and I'm worried i wont have enough time. a year goes by fast when planning. and I'm kinda scared to be going alone. I'll turn eighteen right before i start. but still excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Arwin View Post
    just putting my name into the 2011 pool.leaving mid march. just started planing and I'm worried i wont have enough time. a year goes by fast when planning. and I'm kinda scared to be going alone. I'll turn eighteen right before i start. but still excited.
    Welcome Arwin! Sounds like you and I will be starting about the same time. You'll undoubtedly be making more miles than me on a regular basis, but you never know, our paths may cross.

No need to worry about going alone - you won't really be alone. Mid-March is a pretty popular start time. If anything, shelters could be crowded, especially for the first few weeks.

Be sure to keep us posted as to your gear list and such!!!

I'm beginning to plan my NOBO starting in March '11. Graduate from The Citadel in May, working as a ranger at philmont this summer, com back to Charleston for fall and winter and head out as soon as spring hits!

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++