It's looking more and more like 2011 will be my year for a through attempt. I am getting more and more serious about retiring at the end of this school year (June 2010). It's two or three years sooner than my original plan but I don't want to wait until I am too old to hike at least the AT and PCT. Financially its dooable, but a little close.
In the event I retire I will do my usual hiking this Summer but extend it into September. I am thinking about another JMT hike after the mosquitos subside.
As soon as the snows come to the mountains I will get a season pass at some ski area and ski until mid March. I hope this will keep me in good shape for my hike and not induce an injury. I anticipate a Northbound start in the second half of March.
My sister hiked from Damascus to SNP with me this past Summer but she is not certain whether she will accompany me on a through hike. She enjoyed the six weeks of hiking but she is not sure that she is up for six months of hiking.
My wife is not a hiker but we plan on her making a couple of trips out to meet me for few days. In addition I imagine she will take me to Georgia and meet me in Maine.
Not a day goes by that I don't daydream about being out on the trail, I love my job but I love the trail life more.
I sure am enjoying reading this thread and hearing of the folks that I should meet along the way.