WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default Northwest Georgia Mountains...

About 22 years ago my husband and I were on a backpacking trip when a deer adopted us. I have retold that story many times over the years. While I was packing today I came across one of the "proof" pictures. So for those who have heard the story here is the picture...

Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

thats funny. several years ago we had a similar instance in GSMNP, but that is because they are so tame and used to humans feeding them there. the deer hung around the shelter for hours waiting for hand-outs. with us, he wasnt so lucky.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

We were careful to not feed him as I know that can ruin an animal. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Registered Troll
    Images

Deer are the ultimate bums. When they live near humans they get so used to us they act more like housecats than wildlife. Who hasn't had deer hanging around their yard in the morning, looking for a handout. They're practically pests.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Or perhaps HH's aura is so relaxing that the deer had nothing to be nervous about?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default Correct to NOT feed the wild animals..

People who do feed wild animals are doing the creature(s) more harm than good. Remember the old saying.."A fed bear is a dead bear" I guess this could apply to other wild animals as well. I've seen pet squirrels at different trail points, but not any deer yet.

Default it's not just food the deer are after...

One of the tame deer followed me out of a shelter in the Smokies as I was going to relieve myself, and I was surprised to see it lapping up my urine. I suppose it was after the dissolved salts? This buck came within arm's length, so I was able to get extreme closeup movie footage, which made it into the film North To Katahdin.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default deer HH

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger
    About 22 years ago my husband and I were on a backpacking trip when a deer adopted us. I have retold that story many times over the years. While I was packing today I came across one of the "proof" pictures. So for those who have heard the story here is the picture...

Nice PHOTO HH!
    What kinda paper work did u sign for a deer to have adopted you?
    hehehehehehe
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Recently while hiking in a county park that borders private land where deer come and go in and out all of the time. When in the park theres no hunting on the private there is plenty of hunting. The deer here usually treat hikers as the would hunters, they turn and bolt.

Well on this particle day, is was foggy and a misty rain. I was walking a long and looked up and there a a huge doe (white tail deer) I would guess here be well 150 lbs. She was standing about 20 feet off the trail, I just looked at her and starting talking to her a very low soft voice, saying things like its alright, no one going to hurt and such stuff. She just stood there and watched me walk by as if she understood everything I said.

I might note, usually the deer I see here bolt and run until the are out sight. this was true odd for particle place.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Hog
    One of the tame deer followed me out of a shelter in the Smokies as I was going to relieve myself, and I was surprised to see it lapping up my urine. I suppose it was after the dissolved salts? This buck came within arm's length, so I was able to get extreme closeup movie footage, which made it into the film North To Katahdin.
    Salt it is. For this reason, if you really want to be green, pee on rocks, not trees, b/c they can bite off the bark.

In Shenandoah once I had a deer threaten to charge me when I approached him @ the Loft Mtn wayside parking lot @ 11:00 pm. There was a round pool of melted ice cream on the pavement, & this deer was not going to surrender his bounty w/o a fight.

++ New Posts ++