WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IAT vs AT

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    The difference being that in Canada we recognize two "official" language's, French and English. We don't expect others to integrate, but rather offer them the freedom to practice there language, culture, religion and traditions openly. Canada is not considered a melting pot but rather a salad bowl, each ethnicity is recognized as unique and not expected to meld into the whole of Canadian Culture. We encourage diversity of all sorts.

Does it work in practice is debatable and depends on what side of the issue you find yourself... While I apprechiate the rights of the French to be able to recieve all services and programs in their mother tonque, the cost to the tax payer to provide services in both languages is enormous..

Further, recently there have been a lot of situations were in an effort to be PC, we have gone to far. For instance, Government offices and schools can no longer openly celebrate or decorate for holidays such as Christmas due to its Christian (more acurately Pegan) background, as it may offend employee's of other faiths... All very reasonable, and understandable, but at times seems to be missing the origional intent of the salad bowl theory...

There was a principle in a local elementary school here in NB who recently halted the daily morning singing of the national anthem due to references to God in the anthem. He did this out of respect of a minority of kids who where from different faiths. He said he would continue to play the anthem for special assembly's as a comprimise. This single incident created a huge national debate that ended in the principle quietly resigning. The poor guy recieved death threats... I cannot imagine being that blindly patriotic that I would threaten a man's life because he was attempting to be respectful and tolerent... It's not like we choose where we are born... I could just as easily be Afgan or German... People are strange indeed..

So exactly why is it that the "minority religion" kids can't be tolerant of the majority when the anthem is sung?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Last edited by zoidfu; 05-28-2009 at 17:37. Reason: dumb

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    So exactly why is it that the "minority religion" kids can't be tolerant of the majority when the anthem is sung?
    Excellent question, and one I don't have an answer too.. That's why I say it is debatable how well it works in practice. I suppose you could argue that because we vow not to discriminate against any belief, culture, language or religion that if we don't have time to properly recognize all religions both majority and minority than we shouldn't recognize any. It goes back to being a salad bowl as opposed to a melting pot. In a melting pot the wishes of the majority are recognized. In Canada, supposedly, the interests of all are recognized, and if you can't recognize them all, you recognize none.

You have to remember the singing of the anthem is a age old tradition, stemming back to the days when everyone for the most part would be of christian background. So I guess this principle was trying to update an old tradition by limiting the singing of the anthem everyday out of respect for the minority of different faiths..

Who's right, I have no idea, but it sure stirs some strong debates nationally..

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    First off, that was a tongue-in-cheek response.
    Second off, you must realize that on the internet no one can see your cheek. You made a statement and lacking any clue that you were kidding, people took you literally. Granted it was a very funny thing to say once we realize it was a joke, but how was anyone to know that you were joking?

Third off, beyond that, what you are doing here is a classic internet troll trap, where you say something, and when someone responds to your literal statement, you go beserk on them and bring out the machine guns and flame-throwers:

I’ve never counted, but I’ve been to at least 30 countries, so who needs to "get out more". Yet, there is a glimmer of truth in my statement concerning Canada: "they’re just like us", in comparison to any other country I’ve visited. However, I would say the country that comes in second, being "just like us" would be Australia, still much different in many respects.

As for multi-lingual nation, you really need to get out more and see the U.S. You know we are the melting pot of the world, you ever been to New Orleans? Also, just look at our Olympic teams, we have all peoples represented, this is starting to change because other countries are now starting to show a little diversity, but we’re still far in the lead.

Note: When it comes to multi-lingual cultures the U.S. or Canada doesn't really stick out as unique, many other coutries that are multi-lingual. Also many other multi-ethnic cultures, but I've never seen a country that is as intergrated as us (yes we have our racial problems, but look around the world...)
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Second off, you must realize that on the internet no one can see your cheek. You made a statement and lacking any clue that you were kidding, people took you literally. Granted it was a very funny thing to say once we realize it was a joke, but how was anyone to know that you were joking?
    It was an obvious tounge-in-cheek remark to anyone that has been overseas. I can't speak to everyone and I sometimes forget to add
    Third off, beyond that, what you are doing here is a classic internet troll trap, where you say something, and when someone responds to your literal statement, you go beserk on them and bring out the machine guns and flame-throwers:
    However, that statement was by no means trolling, you obviously don't know what you're talking about...yes I'm trolling now, but only for frostys

Images

what about that little part of maine pass Katahdin it just seems strange not to complete the state
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Journal Entries

Just for claification, there is NO offical language of the United States. There is a movement to establish English as the official language, which I disagree with, and I don't think it will happen.

We also have two primary languages here in the states, English and Spanish. You can not anything without there being instructions in at least one other language, and if only one other language it will be Spanish. It's almost required for a business to interpret certain things in Spanish.
    In Maine we have two primary languages: Various dialects of Maine (some are similar to English) and Quebec French (unlike anything spoken in France.)

Weary

Default Please children Please

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    In Maine we have two primary languages: Various dialects of Maine (some are similar to English) and Quebec French (unlike anything spoken in France.)

Weary
    I speak 2 American languages and both ARE american. One never is spoken outside of America, So THERE.

Lets please get on with HIKING.

Mitakuye oyasin - We are ALL related!!

Images

Maybe we should call it the SIA, for Sentier International des Appalaches.
    Alas, my French pronunciation is really bad.
    The section through Gaspe is supposed to be fantastic. There are parts finished in Newfoundland and that should also be great. I like the idea of a trail that is remote.

Default Ten Million Steps

I think Nimbellwill Nomad gives an excellent account in his book/journal "Ten Million Steps". He really describes the IAT with fever. You alt to check it out. If you can't find the book then you can find it on his web site, www.nimbelwillnomad.com You can read it here along with his other hikes including his most current one. He also has some really good gear lists for those interested.

For one, I don't understand what is the bickering from some of the folks here on the IAT. I think it is a great addition to the AT, and hikers have a choice of doing just 2160 miles or go for broke. It's your choice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    I speak 2 American languages and both ARE american. One never is spoken outside of America, So THERE.

Lets please get on with HIKING.

Mitakuye oyasin - We are ALL related!!
    Just finished hiking 240 km of the SIA and while in Quebec I found that those hiking spoke a common language - hiking.... with the help of sign language and a French dictionary we communicated very well

I will be writing a trip report shortly
    WalkingStick"75"

Default Hiking-Good language

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingStick75 View Post
    Just finished hiking 240 km of the SIA and while in Quebec I found that those hiking spoke a common language - hiking.... with the help of sign language and a French dictionary we communicated very well

I will be writing a trip report shortly
    Hey Walking Stick, That is a good language. Hiking is very diversified and easy to understand.

BTW, my post was in comment to the post putting down English. I love diversity. One day I am going to hike to the Gaspe too. I hear it is beautiful up there.

Hope your trip went well!!!

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    You really should get out more. Canada is actually very different from America. They have the metric system. In New Brunswick, everything is bilingual and in the Quebec portion of the IAT, it is unilingual French. They have a different political system, and different accents. They have a different educational system, etc. etc. etc.

As for the IAT acronym, perhaps it should be changed to CAT or Canadian Appalachian Trail From what I have read, its best portion is in Canada anyway.

DavidNH
    Gotta agree with you on the CAT designation. Seems every time I mention IAT to people they think I mean the AT extension.

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    what about that little part of maine pass Katahdin it just seems strange not to complete the state
    You don't need to complete the state because you complete the trail. The Appalachian National Scenic Trail that is.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    You really should get out more. Canada is actually very different from America. They have the metric system. In New Brunswick, everything is bilingual and in the Quebec portion of the IAT, it is unilingual French. They have a different political system, and different accents. They have a different educational system, etc. etc. etc.

As for the IAT acronym, perhaps it should be changed to CAT or Canadian Appalachian Trail From what I have read, its best portion is in Canada anyway.

DavidNH
    And real universal health insurance. The guy who first dreamed of the IAT has sort of gotten carried away with his extensions. He's probably got the trail running all the way to North Africa by now. That's where fossils can be found that otherwise are only found in northern Maine.
    Last edited by weary; 04-29-2011 at 11:45.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Second off, you must realize that on the internet no one can see your cheek. You made a statement and lacking any clue that you were kidding, people took you literally.
    I didn't

Granted it was a very funny thing to say once we realize it was a joke, but how was anyone to know that you were joking?
    Twas pretty obvious to me

How ironic.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I think the best way to continue on from Katahdin would be by some sort of canoe / portage route, like the Maliseet Trail, and then on up the St.John River and the Tobique. From there the IAT starts to get interesting again, i.e. ridgelines.

http://www.maliseettrail.com/

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    And real universal health insurance. The guy who first dreamed of the IAT has sort of gotten carried away with his extensions. He's probably got the trail running all the way to North Africa by now. That's where fossils can be found that otherwise are only found in northern Maine.
    They're working on it.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

One of the biggest issues for hiking the IAT after hiking the AT is that in Canada you need permits and reservations for campsites in most of the National Parks. That requires a level of planning that most AT thruhikers aren't willing to do. It means staying on schedule. It also can get quite expensive.

Images

I haven't hiked it yet, so this is all from trailjournals and the websites. The Quebec and Newfoundland sections are supposed to be very pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    One of the biggest issues for hiking the IAT after hiking the AT is that in Canada you need permits and reservations for campsites in most of the National Parks. That requires a level of planning that most AT thruhikers aren't willing to do. It means staying on schedule. It also can get quite expensive.
    There's been some changes in the rules and reservations for Quebec are no longer required for thru-hikers. The Maine and New Brunswick sections have always been looser, but apparently there's a fair amount of road walking.
    The IAT-QC passport is a thru-hiker permssion to camp without reservation in the IAT-QC accommodation sites. Over permitting cheaper accommodation, the passport allows the hiker to be more flexible with their itinerary. Even though the rules state that a hiker with a passport should give their spot to a person with a Sepaq reservation, there has never been such a problem up to now and the thru-hikers have a camping platform especially for them along the IAT in the Gaspesie National Park.
    http://www.sia-iat.com/en/longue_rando_passeport.html
    The passport costs $355, but if you join the quebec chapter of sia I think you get a discount. It is more expensive than just the passport because you will need to sometimes stay at hotels or campgrounds that aren't covered. Food can be expensive also and resupply is not always easy.

The shelters/refuges are apparently very nice. Sometimes the trails are not. There is no stealth camping allowed in the Quebec section.http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11117
    PluggerJohn has lots of info in his trailjournal:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++