Default Did anyone do any...

FT hiking over the holiday? Where?
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

No, but I'm packing up for a backpacking trip that starts Monday along the Kissimmee River.

Images

Nah. Did go out to Lizzie Hart Sink today though. Just kind of rode around in the woods all day...
    www.kevinmims.com
    Read the VISIT FLORIDA Outdoors & Nature Blog: http://bit.ly/9jtcnr

Images

I hiked up from Olustee up to 441. Almost too warm. And LOTS of hunters. I loved it tho......!

Images

Kevin, I used to love to go to the woods and ride around. We had so much fun doing that.
    |.............|

I wish I had. It seems I've been mostly hiking from the kitchen to the living room. I feel like a giant, stuffed panda.

I have Tuesday and Wednesday off tho. I will be out somewhere. My son, who is a broke college student, couldn't afford a birthday present for me, so promised to spend time with me, "Your choice mom."

I said, "Great! You're going on a 10-mile hike with me, and no whining."

Unfortunately, I didn't tell him he couldn't roll his eyes, but he's going hiking. Now I just need to pick out an appropriate route.

Images

I'm thinking I'll hike from US41 into White Springs next Sunday (the 4th), y'all are welcome to join me. Might be a nice little hike to start out 2009 (I have to work the 1st, 2nd and 3rd).

-Duffy

Images

Duf,
    What is the route you are taking? Details?
    |.............|

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    I'm thinking I'll hike from US41 into White Springs next Sunday (the 4th), y'all are welcome to join me. Might be a nice little hike to start out 2009 (I have to work the 1st, 2nd and 3rd).

-Duffy
    How many miles? I'm interested.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

I'm going to be dropped off at Lillian's package store and biker bar just south of the Suwannee bridge on 41. Cross the hiway and the tracks and it's about .4 to the trailhead. Turns west along the river for about 6.5 or 7 miles into White Springs, I think(I haven't hiked it yet!).

- Duffy

Default White Springs to CR 129

Three of just went to white springs over the weekend. We left our truck at American Canoe Adventures lot and hiked 20 miles over three days. ACA picked us up on Sunday and brought us back to our vehicle. Great way of doing things! Found that most of the walk was closed to hunting, so that was good, still wear orange though just in case of poachers. That chunk of the trail was VERY strenuous and I am barely able to walk around the office today. Never thought I would see so much up and downs hills on the FTA.

Joel

Images

That sounds like a nice day hike. I would be interested as well. Does anyone have a map of this stretch to see exactly how long it is?
    |.............|

aka Mokay
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    I'm going to be dropped off at Lillian's package store and biker bar just south of the Suwannee bridge on 41. Cross the hiway and the tracks and it's about .4 to the trailhead. Turns west along the river for about 6.5 or 7 miles into White Springs, I think(I haven't hiked it yet!).

- Duffy
    Not that far. It's 2.2 miles on the FL trail from US41 at the railroad bridge to Suwannee Valley cg, then another 2.6 via roads into White Springs to cross the river, and back to Lillian's via roads.
    HUGS - J

aka Mokay
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by genxrex View Post
    That chunk of the trail was VERY strenuous and I am barely able to walk around the office today. Never thought I would see so much up and downs hills on the FTA.

Joel
    Well you did pick one of the hilliest sections on the FL Trail! It is a nice hike though. I'm assuming you went west?
    HUGS - J

aka Mokay
    Images

Default more than you ever wanted to know!

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    That sounds like a nice day hike. I would be interested as well. Does anyone have a map of this stretch to see exactly how long it is?
    I made a quick google map of the loop as listed below. It's at: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    You'll have to just take my word for the trail mileage, or find a data book.

While I was looking this up I noticed this: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    On the left edge of the sat pic is Suwannee Valley cg, and the yellow road crossing the upper left is US41 at the trail crossing. At the bottom you can quite clearly see what appears to be an old river channel, now forested, to the south of the existing river. Neat huh? You can also see several sand "trails" none of which are the hiking trail, I don't think, with maybe the exception of the faint cross that is formed by the vertical dirt road and horizontal dirt road contained in the area of the old river channel and the current river. For the most part the trail westward from US41 hugs pretty close to the river on the bluffs above it. But it does follow a dirt road for a while, and I believe that is the rightmost arm of the cross, and the trail turns due north there up the upper arm of the cross and back into the woods to return to the river at the campground.

FYI. If you're planning a meet up there, and have two vehicles available, a nicer hike, not requiring the road walk would be from the Little Shoals Trailhead to White Springs. The road to Little Shoals TH is a little east of Lillian's, looks like nothing but a dirt road at a railroad crossing. Follow dirt road to corral type trailhead. It's a little bumpy but passable.

From the Shoals Trailhead walk west (left when facing river). It's about 1.5 miles to the railroad/river/US42 junction referenced below. You could leave one car at each end (maybe park at Stephen Foster, or the White Springs info center, or Suwannee Valley cg with permission). A caution though, I'm not 100% sure this is still blazed orange. The thru trail was officially rerouted via Big Shoals earlier this year, and not exactly sure where the new trail connects up to what I hiked last Christmas, but as I doubt the new trail crosses the river (I may be wrong), I'm fairly sure this piece is still intact. It might be wise to check with someone from FTA or with access to a current map (mine are about 5000 miles away or I'd look it up!) though.

FYI there are also some real nice, non FTA hikes in Big Shoals. There is a per car day use fee, but there are trail maps, leaflets etc there. You might also want to stop in the info center (opposite the Canoe outfitters) for TONS of info and brochures from all over the State.

OK enough messing around with maps. I'm done now. It's late and I need to go to sleep.
    HUGS - J

Images

On the most current map 15, it's 6.5 exactly, plus the walk from Lillians. Might be a little farther if I walk to the diner.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Default Pain pt 2

Quote Originally Posted by jnetx View Post
    Well you did pick one of the hilliest sections on the FL Trail! It is a nice hike though. I'm assuming you went west?
    We did in deed go west.

This morning my alarm went off and hopped out of bed, then my bad footsie hit the floor OUCH!!! I am in a bad way now, I have tix for seaworld that expire tomorrow and might have to borrow my dads lil rascal just to get around.
    I will have to look around for some good ankle/calf strengthening exercises I can do to prevent this in the future.

Joel

Images

J....that was too cool. Thanks. When are you heading up this way to do some more hiking near me? We need to go for a walkabout...
    |.............|

Just back from the FT wilds. An awesome trip from Okee-tantie north to Bluff Hammock. Great group to backpack with and some trail magic too. Hiked some brand-new trail and had a couple once in a lifetime experiences, including watching eagles defending their nest and caracaras mating ... and got it on video. Will share after I play catch-up with email and a bunch of projects. I'm teaching a class next week and have to get back to that mindset.

I should mention we met up with thru-hiker Popeye from Orlando. He's planning to go on to the AT. He ran into us at Yates Marsh, camped with us at Tangerine Hill and Basinger to hang out for New Year's hiker feed. I'm sure he's to Kicco by now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++