WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AT-Journal

Yup, another HYOH thing. I understand where Captain is coming from, but I don't agree that using technology in the woods is inherently a bad thing --- we all use technology in the woods, we just pick different levels. I personally had some fine times on the PCT this year plunking along on my bluetooth keyboard and smartphone at a picnic table or just on my lap whether alone or in company, and I really appreciated having that complete a record, as well as the chance to better interact with folks not on the trail as a result.

For those that find a Smartphone to be an interesting option, I wrote up some thoughts on picking one for a long hike, here:
    http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
    http://postholer.com/brianle

I've been all over the place with this. Old PDA with folding keyboard, small spiral notebooks, moleskines, plain paper, pocketmail, etc. Whatever floats your boat.

I've been on a big, big 3x5 card kick lately. They're awesome for short trips, durable, cheap, and widely available. Can't beat that.

For a the next long trip, I'm probably going to go with some 3x5's in my shirt pocket for quick thoughts and notes, a 5x7 Moleskine big enough for the whole trip for long journals, and some sort of smartphone/folding keyboard setup for writing/emailing articles in a somewhat timely manner. I hate being tied down to libraries or whatever just to send an article or email in.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Yup, another HYOH thing. I understand where Captain is coming from, but I don't agree that using technology in the woods is inherently a bad thing --- we all use technology in the woods, we just pick different levels. I personally had some fine times on the PCT this year plunking along on my bluetooth keyboard and smartphone at a picnic table or just on my lap whether alone or in company, and I really appreciated having that complete a record, as well as the chance to better interact with folks not on the trail as a result.

For those that find a Smartphone to be an interesting option, I wrote up some thoughts on picking one for a long hike, here:
    http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08

Oh dont get me wrong, i dont want to be misquoted , i LOVE technology and will have a couple doo-dads with me, just saying there is an inherit romance with doing it with trusty pen and paper, preferably if the pen is carried behind your ear ready at a moments notice even if your pad is deep in your backpack
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Images

For those of us who are fussy about how we say what we say, going back to pen/pencil and paper is a rude re-awakening. Keyboard-based writing is so easy to edit. Paper is not.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I think these are great times we live in!! I really enjoy some of the things I carry with me on the Trail...my headlamp, mp3, cell phone, camera and a watch.

I use my watch the most. If I'm walking by myself, I can usually predict to within minutes of when I will get to a certain point along the Trail.

I use my camera second most. It's a digital and I take LOTS of pictures.

I use my cell phone mostly to stay in touch with friends and family and check email and animated radar each morning if I have data service.

I use my mp3 some nights.

I almost never use my headlamp, but it's nice to have if I need it.

Yep, I LOVE technology!!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Oops....forgot to mention in my post above that I journal with my cell phone. I did two years of journaling with pen and paper, but now prefer typing with my thumbs.
    Stumpknocker

How bout a laptop, portable printer with solar cell and extra batteries for the cloudy days? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by OverLoad View Post
    How bout a laptop, portable printer with solar cell and extra batteries for the cloudy days? :-)
    That's more than I want to carry, but go for it if you'd like.
    Stumpknocker

Images

I just carry a medium size spiral bound notebook with a pen. When I get home I enter it into MS word and do further editing and enhancements.

I don't like the idea of carrying expensive electronic devices on the trail because if it rains it can be ruined. I don't want to have to worry about that.

Panzer

Electronics in the rain: I live in a pretty wet climate (Western Washington); in rainy weather my smartphone fits nicely in a snack-sized ziplock, then in a neoprene holster on the backpack shoulder strap. For most functionality I need to take it out of the ziplock, but it works fine as a GPS inside the ziplock bag.

Someone mentioned the idea of having a PDA or smartphone and folding keyboard along with 3x5 cards in a pocket. Sounds like a good combo to me, but an alternative I don't think I've seen mentioned yet in this thread is a voice recorder. Not as yet another electronic device ... my smartphone does this too, and having reprogrammable external buttons means I can just push and hold a button to quickly get into voice record mode.

Since I blogged daily on the PCT, I didn't use it much for that --- I could usually remember the esssentials of what happened that day (not always!), but it was very useful for making notes of things to do or check when in the next trail town, or just generally one of those ideas that flits through your head and you want to remember ... but are sure you'll forget.
    For me, it was more efficient to make a voice recording, typically while still walking, than to write something on a little card.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08 (PCT)

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    So you're saying 45 is old and feeble? Just kidding!
    Haha, of course I didn't mean it like that. But 20 year old memories aren't always the easiest to access, right?

And as far as being fussy about what you say, well... I'm that way, but I found my journal to be more of a rough draft, so to say. I mean, I'd write something on one topic, go on to another, then remember something else about the first topic. So I'd just write it in. It'd be all out of order, but so what? It's just a journal. I care mainly about just getting the ideas/events down, and if I later do a blog (or possibly a book?) with it, then I can type it then.

Sounds like a good combo to me, but an alternative I don't think I've seen mentioned yet in this thread is a voice recorder.
    I made a list of the things I carry in a post above, but I forgot to mention my voice recorder. See how important a piece of equipment it is to me??

I make short notes all during the day into my voice recorder and then when I'm in my sleeping bag at the end of the day, I spend an hour journaling. That's my way of winding down for the day. I usually fall off to sleep as soon as I'm done journaling.

As for carrying these things in the rain, the ziplock works great. I did forget to put my voice recorder in a ziplock on one of the fords I made this year and it got soaked. I didn't turn it on....I just took the one AAA battery out and let it air dry for about 24 hours and it worked fine when I put it back together.
    Stumpknocker

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I like the Moleskine Cahier soft cover notebooks

http://www.moleskineus.com/moleskine...notebooks.html

I like the unlined versions so I can draw, too.
    -Mark

ok ive heard several people say PDa with keyboard ,what make,model ect. do you use cuase i looked into that and i couldnt find anything i think would be sturdy enough or that i could get into windows, does it save on a pda as just a regular .doc or .text?
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

My PDA was my smartphone, which is in essence a traditional type of PDA functionality mated with a cell phone, sometimes with yet additional functionality.

I used a blue tooth (wireless) folding keyboard with it.

If a smartphone is an avenue you're inclined towards, it's not a short topic of discussion. After (actually, during) my PCT thru-hike this year I wrote up some of my thoughts on this topic, here: http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html

In terms of specific device, I wouldn't particularly recommend my smartphone, but the keyboard I used worked out well, a review of it is here:
    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips...h_Keyboard.htm

Whoops, I didn't respond to the specific question very well ... sorry.
    For journeling, there are multiple options, but saving in .txt or .doc format are both fine. I used the smartphone version of Microsoft Word and saved in .doc format, then when I had internet connection I would copy and paste appropriate chunks into the web form. But since I used postholer.com (I found it worked better on a small screen device) rather than trailjournals.com, I also had the option of composing journal entries as email and sending that way. I tried both, and both worked fine.

In terms of how sturdy the device is --- someone does make a "ruggedized" smartphone, I don't recall off-hand who it is. I ultimately went with another model as I had a lot of criteria I was trying to simultaneously optimize. Mine held up fine for 2600+ miles this year, and my daughter might use it to do the same trail next year. I didn't drop it and kept it mostly out of dirt and wet, but I wasn't paranoid-careful about it.

If I were looking for a smartphone today, I'd likely limit myself to one of the many that are available at reduced price via a 2-year contract with either AT&T or Verizon, narrow down the search based on more obvious feature issues (camera, gps, removeable battery, weight, etc), and then read some reviews of those particular models.

Of course you don't need something elaborate, nor does it have to be as much analysis as I went through; most any smartphone and bluetooth keyboard will likely do a fine job of the basics. And of course there are much cheaper options that don't involve a cell phone contract!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    ok ive heard several people say PDa with keyboard ,what make,model ect. do you use cuase i looked into that and i couldnt find anything i think would be sturdy enough or that i could get into windows, does it save on a pda as just a regular .doc or .text?
    I use a h-p iPAQ hx2495b PDA. Carry it in a Seal line waterproof pouch. OS is Windows Mobile with internet explorer and Word mobile. I save my documents as text files, as these use much less memory and I don't need any fancy formating. I use the on screen touch keypad with stylus. Folding wireless keyboard would have been nice, but had to draw the line somewhere.

I also spent several weeks copying 1000 miles worth of the trail guide so I'd have it as a text file I could read on the PDA. Scanned the town maps and saved those as jpgs. Not quite as handy as the paper version of the trail guide, but worked.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++