WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

None

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

The Sprint pool slippers mentioned about 10 posts and 6 years back were the best! If anybody ever finds a source for those, PLEASE share. I've been keeping my last pair going for about a year now and their days are numbered.

You can find these at Walgreens, usually beginning right after Valentine's Day...they work GREAT!

https://www.usadawgs.com/collections...ite-shoes-bkbk

Haven't done it yet, but I've considered getting a pair of water shoes/aqua socks to use around camp. Figure I could size up to allow room for socks, they've got a bit of grip and stiffness to the soles, and can be found lighter than crocs or most slide-on sandals while still covering the whole foot.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    You can find these at Walgreens, usually beginning right after Valentine's Day...they work GREAT!

Thanks ScareBear. I just bought a pair of those shoes for $11.99 tax included and free delivery. Too cheap a deal to pass up.

Carl

Do you know the weight?

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HeartWalker View Post
    Do you know the weight?
    8.5 ounces

Each or per pair?

Per pair...that actually sounds heavy...let me go weigh mine...

Mine weigh in at 239g or 8.4 ounces, per pair. These have been worn, so some of the material has worn off...8.6 ounces per pair on a new pair would be accurate. Not bad weight/price ratio, eh? The darn things grip pretty well too...with the velcro strap, leaving socks on is a non-issue...plenty of ventilation/drainage.....12 freaking bucks, shipping included...well done...

That's 3.5 ounces less than my Crocs. Thanks for checking.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I tend to go barefoot, even when crossing large creeks, but then I also don't hike in areas that see heavy usage...and thus not likely to step on anything that would cause injury. I only do this because I haven't found a pair of water shoes I like...I would love a pair of those old jelly shoes I we loved as kids.
    Although as an old hippie I like walking barefoot, too many broken toes, torn toenails and bleeding injuries have sent me into shoes even indoors. In the outdoors, in a hiking environment, one sharp rock in a creek crossing, one unseen root in camp and your trip is over. Once it is over, how do you plan to get to the ER for stiches?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Dollar store flip-flops.
    What he said.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

My favorite camp shoes: Loosen the laces of the trail shoes I hike in, and presto - Zero Gram Camp Shoes! If they have gotten really wet, I put on my dry socks and use chicken sized oven roasting bags over the socks inside the shoes. If I need water shoes for stream crossings I carry some 2 oz/pair mesh top pool shoes that I can't find anywhere anymore, unfortunately. They were inexpensive and now are priceless collectors items.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Dollar store flip-flops.
    Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote no on the dollar store flip flops. They will break, and likely early. (I've tried..) Teva Mush flip flops are the lightest solid flip flops I've found (and they weight about the same as the cheapies believe it or not).
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    I vote no on the dollar store flip flops. They will break, and likely early. (I've tried..) Teva Mush flip flops are the lightest solid flip flops I've found (and they weight about the same as the cheapies believe it or not).
    Agreed. My problem with flip flops is no toe protection. Walking around camp with the rocks and roots at night and you could easily break a toe. That is a hike ender.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Agreed. My problem with flip flops is no toe protection. Walking around camp with the rocks and roots at night and you could easily break a toe. That is a hike ender.

Carl
    Plus, flip flops are a fail when it comes to steeps. How many times have you had to hike down a friggin steep blue for .2 miles to get to water? Try THAT in flip flops!!!

Seriously, for the money and weight, those Houndz are golden. I absolutely despise clomping around camp in my hiking boots when I am done hiking...let those dawgs breathe and my boots air out!

Plus, you get to change out of your boots and into these when fording!!! Try fording in flip flops...YMMV...

I used flip-flops. No problems. Yes, you do have to tread lightly in some camps (NH!) but I never hurt myself. Some folks didn't have camp shoes but that wouldn't have worked for me. Felt great to get my hikers off and slip into these at the end of the day. One thing, slippers (flip-flops) do not work for fording streams. Don't try that.

A bunch of people have mentioned fording rivers when discussing camp shoes. Outside of the 100-mile wilderness in Maine, fording is a non-issue on the A.T. (Could be a different story for other trails.)
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++