WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by middle to middle View Post
    If you walk in bare feet for a while they toughen up and will be ok.
    Until you trip over a root and need to get off the trail for those stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by happypad View Post
    You guys talked me out of taking any camp shoes. Thanks
    I gave up camp shoes when I gave up mountaineering boots. Lightweight trail shoes or off road runners obviate the need for footwear to let your feet recover. Bare feet are risky, one slip, one sharp stick, one root or unseen rock and your trip is over.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 Travels View Post
    Cheap pool shoes. Total weight is 2oz. Buy several and have them shipped along your trail.
    I have a pair of water shoes that look like sneakers, they cover the whole foot and have laces but have a thin non slip sole, very light. If I used camp shoes, they might be a candidate.

MYOG Tyvek booties over your sleeping socks.

I've never had camp shoes but after the last few days on the trail (I'm a section hiker) I realized I wanted them. The folks in the lean-to had crocks. They appear to weigh almost a pound. I have a pair of Keen sports sandals that weigh a pound, are comfy and have great tread. I thought that the next time I'm on the trail I could bring them to wear at camp - but also in case my boots get beastly hot in August, I might hike in them and tie the boots to the pack.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

For me, lightweight trail runners mean I don't need separate camp shoes. I bring my Crocs when I anticipate needing water shoes. I don't like fording in my hiking shoes, particularly since I started wearing pre$cription orthotics.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I made my own out of one of those anti fatigue mats for my garage. It was supposed to be a mock up, but 4-5 hikes later and they still work!

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5878 View Post
    I am a newbie, going NOBO in March.

Just weighed my crocs on my digital postal scale. 6.4 ozs. EACH!

Is there an alternative to these and are camp shoes needed in your opinions?

Thanks Josh
    Thats 189.27 grams each...That is a lot! I picked up a pair of comfortable, ultralight, vented, plastic beach shoes on a holiday to Vienna for about 12 Euros, they are similar to crocs, but they look good...They weigh just 97 grams each, almost half the weight of yours! They are made by VIVA shoes. I use them as slippers at home as they are so light and comfy but I have also used them for hiking around Belgrade in Serbia, so they are very versitile. I wan't to buy more as I like them so much but I have been unable to find them here in the UK, or online.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler35 View Post
    Thats 189.27 grams each...That is a lot! I picked up a pair of comfortable, ultralight, vented, plastic beach shoes on a holiday to Vienna for about 12 Euros, they are similar to crocs, but they look good...They weigh just 97 grams each, almost half the weight of yours! They are made by VIVA shoes. I use them as slippers at home as they are so light and comfy but I have also used them for hiking around Belgrade in Serbia, so they are very versitile. I wan't to buy more as I like them so much but I have been unable to find them here in the UK, or online.
    I used to be able to catch Vivabarefeet Pure on clearance online, but not lately. Also please note the women's are often on clearance (and steeper savings) than men's. But with something like this they really are the same as long as you are good with the color and can find the appropriate size (no real gender difference in styling).
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountainguy View Post
    I gave up camp shoes when I gave up mountaineering boots. Lightweight trail shoes or off road runners obviate the need for footwear to let your feet recover...
    Glad that works for you, but is not universally true.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I used to be able to catch Vivabarefeet Pure on clearance online, but not lately. Also please note the women's are often on clearance (and steeper savings) than men's. But with something like this they really are the same as long as you are good with the color and can find the appropriate size (no real gender difference in styling).
    I went with Vivobarefoot Pure's for my last few section hikes. For the last one, I removed the inner "bootie" and just used the external "rubber" outer shoe to cut weight further, which came to 224 grams (7.94 oz) for a pair of men's size 10-1/2. I have a pair of Walmart slip-on sandals that are a bit lighter, but I can fold the Vivo's in half when I stow them and they can serve as water shoes.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

The vivobarefoot ultra is a great water/camp shoe, but at list price of about $70 it's pricey. I bought mine like new off ebay for less than half that. You can actually hike in them on smooth trails since they are designed as a minimalist running shoe, but the sole is so thin you really feel the rocks. Very sturdy, about half the weight of crocs and they won't fall off in streams.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The crocus is a very fragile flower. I would not recommend walking in (nor on) them.
    The guy that invented autocorrect should burn in hello

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to let your feet recover after a long days hike try the Hoka recovery sandals.

Or you could put these on over your camp socks... https://onfadd.com/rain-socks
    Last edited by wordstew; 12-24-2018 at 11:08.

I loved these along the AT for camp shoes, stream crossings/flooded trail... coming in at 9.7oz. Could hike with them in a jam.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redh...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

10 yrs and 175 posts about camp shoes.

An add popped up on my Facebook feed for "Skinner's" socks. The photo shows a person wearing them standing on Legos.
    https://skinners.cc/shop/skinners/?a...EaAreoEALw_wcB

2.8 oz $60

That's more than I would want to pay for camp shoes, but less than the vibram toe shoes and only slightly more than Crocks...so maybe.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++