WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Got my very own pack!

Just went out to REI and got my first very own pack. I toyed with a few packs that our parents gave us from their garages, but none of them actually fit me. So, for x-mas I asked my boyfriend to buy me a pack.

I got a REI Cruise UL 60. I tried on several, and it fit me the best out of the under $200 category. It was only about $100! So with the extra money we also bought a PocketRocket stove.

I brought it home, and immediately packed it up. The only things I believe are missing is water, and a jacket.

It came in at about 16lbs packed. Which I'm pretty proud of.

When I feel more energetic I need to make a gear list, so that ya'll can point out any glaring items missing to me. But since my first overnight is months away at this point, I'll get around to it later.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Although I'm about to change packs, I've used the Cruise UL 60 for the past 2 years and it's been a great pack. It's comfortable, lightweight, plenty of room, etc and pretty easy on the wallet. Congrats on your new pack, now get out and enjoy it!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I have it. Use it. Like it.

I have used mine on weekend hikes up to six day hikes and it has worked well.

I have a different pack for my upcoming thru hike, a Six Moon designs Starlite, which is a bit lighter.

Images

Great choice. I don't think you could go wrong with it. I've got this pack in my collection and aside from a few rather minor design issues which have left me scratching my head, I've been more than pleased with it. Definitely a bargain for the cost, it's lightweight, durable, comfortable, adequately sized, and heck, personally I love the colors... IMHO, it could be a serious candidate for a thru hike. Congrats.

Congrats! Great choice. A great pack for the money.

Yeap, I like mine too That's the pack I have on in my avator. I also have the UL45 for when I can get away with a little less or bulky stuff. I just looked at the REI web site and didn't see the UL 60 anywhere. It must be discontinued for some reason.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

glad you all like that pack. I wanted to, but for some reason, could not get it to fit well at all, loaded at the REI store, with weight bags. Right size, and all the fiddling in the store couldn't solve problem. Went with Aether line of packs, problem solved, lol.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I really like mine, but I've gone to a Jam2 since I got it, and then to a GG Mariposa. Still take the UL 60 when I'm worried about rough terrain.

I've been fiddling with it, trying to get to know all the compartments and find good ways to pack it. It does seem the pockets on the hip belt are near useless. They would maybe fit a chapstick.

Otherwise it seems honky dory.

I tried on several packs at REI, and there was only one I really couldn't get to fit me right at all. It just seemed like it wasn't made to go on me. Don't remember which brand it was.

The hip belt pockets do need revision, too small. I had the same issue with the UL45. (Liked that one, but it didn't sit well on my back where I had surgery so I had to send it back.)

Nice packs for the price.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WetBottom View Post
    They would maybe fit a chapstick.
    The hipbelt pockets hold my mp3 player perfectly. Other than the chapstick, that's the only practical use I've found for them.

Congrats. Looks like a nice pack. Shoot Marje and I a PM when you guys want to do that overnight. I'm planning one coming up here to hopefully go and do some snow shoeing or cross country skiing trip. Let me know if you need any maps. Just got the National Geo. Topo program and could easily print a few out and mail them to you....if my scanner was working it would be easier.....damn HP.

Images

Grats! No feeling better than getting a new pack... other than getting on the trail. =]
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Images

That is the best way to buy a pack. Get to a good store and try some on. Hope it is the begining of many great hiking memories.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I used it for my first 250 miles. I got terrible lower back pain every afternoon. Bad pain. Then the hip strap broke and since it was such an inexpensive pack, I just threw it away and replaced it at the first outfitter I passed. The lower back pain dissipated immediately.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by karoberts View Post
    I just threw it away
    Although not my main pack, the UL 60 has proven quite reliable--

But in the event that something should happen to the pack, such as a hipbelt spontaneously failing, I rest assured knowing that that REI will stand behind their product.

I'm just wondering-- Is it possible for back pain and/or hip belt failure to be caused by an overloaded and poorly fitted pack?

I have been trying to gather gear with the least amount of money spent. So, I'm hoping this pack works out well. I can give a review of it next fall after I've been using it for a season.

I won't be doing any overnights until after winter. I just don't have anything close to appropriate winter gear, and can't afford it right now.

Went out for a day trip today. Lovely fluffy snow everywhere!

I want to take my new stove out of the package and give it a whirl over the weekend.

++ New Posts ++