WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post
    Actually, I don't really hear anyone bad mouthing the event. Everyone seems upset that PA has laws that are designed to allow everyone to enjoy their state campgrounds.

I considered attending the last few years but figured I didn't have enough experience to feel welcome. Based on the discussion here I now figure the PA Ruck is just another drinking party. I can't be alone in that observation.

I've been thinking about and hiking on the AT for the last 30 years. Unfortunately, the entire AT experience seems to be degrading into a massive frat party. I am however starting to get old so my judgement probably can't be trusted.

Steve,
    The event is for everyone. Lack of experience is MORE reason to show up and learn. I did just that in 2003 and left for my thru-hike a lot more knowledgable than I was before the weekend.

This hiker event was the least like a party of ANY i have attended. The average age was around 50 and many of the folks don't drink. There was zero drinking at the hostel and during the day. The only drinking was at the campground after about 9pm pretty far from the sleeping hostel guests.

I recommend you come. I hope to attend and it would be a pleasure to welcome you into the community.

As far as the AT turning into a party, well that is a bit of an exageration. There is still a lot to be enjoyed despite the over-abundnce of services today. You may want to seek out a different trail (i.e. any trail west of the Mississippi)
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    If he can close the cabin, he could close the hostel...I still say there's no connection.

Panzer
    Oops - forgot this one - he can't close the hostel. It's State property but it's leased. So it's not his to close except at the request of the hostel keeper - or if the lessee fails to provide proper maintenance. That's how we got into doing maintenance trips to the hostel. But he CAN fine/arrest anyone who breaks the Park rules in the hostel.

Actually, I don't really hear anyone bad mouthing the event. Everyone seems upset that PA has laws that are designed to allow everyone to enjoy their state campgrounds.

I considered attending the last few years but figured I didn't have enough experience to feel welcome. Based on the discussion here I now figure the PA Ruck is just another drinking party. I can't be alone in that observation.

I've been thinking about and hiking on the AT for the last 30 years. Unfortunately, the entire AT experience seems to be degrading into a massive frat party. I am however starting to get old so my judgement probably can't be trusted.

Steve -
    I organized the first 8 or 9 Rucks. We managed to keep the drinking confined to the campground. Ginny and I have NEVER been to the campground during a Ruck except once when we walked through there during the day. That way we've avoided the drinking crowd for what - 10 years?

Not that I don't drink. But I figure if someone can't get together with friends for a weekend without getting totally sloshed, then they have a problem. But it's their problem - not mine.

The party is a choice - and this year it may not even be a choice. So don't let that drive you away.

As for experience - that's precisely why we put the Ruck together in the first place - for people who are inexperienced. IOW - you belong there, it's YOUR function.

Hope we'll see you there. BTW - we'll be staying at the campground this year. And I get REALLY grumpy if I don't sleep.

Is the ruck going to be filled with these holier than thou types?

Well, when you said the event is going into the **** can I took it as bad mouthing the event. Apologies if I took it wrong.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    Is the ruck going to be filled with these holier than thou types?
    As with any number of gatherings of human beings...there will be many types of folks.

I'm still planning to attend, again, as per usual...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oso loco View Post
    Actually, there was no liquor in sight - Tricks had cleaned it up. Say thank you, Tricks.
    Tricks and Mathewski did save the day and cleaned up the camp and made it presentable just before the ranger arrived. Else it would have turned out differently. Most were sleeping.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by camojack View Post
    As with any number of gatherings of human beings...there will be many types of folks.

I'm still planning to attend, again, as per usual...
    It's all good... Someone's has to stand up for the drinkers... I'm am however, doing my best to hold back... you know how I get..

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wink

It's all good... Someone's has to stand up for the drinkers... I'm am however, doing my best to hold back... you know how I get..
    Last year Marsha brought me some Camo beer...I didn't even finish two 24 ounce cans and I was trashed.

I should've known anything called Camo was powerful...

Just stay away from me.....ALL of you crazy party-ers. I'll be sitting in my own campsite with a few friends from work. I will not be partying and getting crazy like the last few years. Just gonna sit and share some stories with friends. Plus i hope to share and gain knowledge from the latest slideshows in the hostel. I also can't wait to see some old and make some new friends. By the way bring wood.......Panzer. LOL I remember Camo's "camo beer" it was quite something. see you soon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    The PA Ruck will be held January 30 thru February 1, 2009 at Ironmasters Mansion, Pine Grove State Park PA. The new caretakers, Ray & Lori Burt welcome us.

This year we are spotlighting the Appalachian Trail Museum and the Earl Shaffer Foundation.

Pine Grove will soon be the new home of the A.T. Museum as most of you already know. We are truly excited about this and would like to help in any way we can.

The PA Ruck is hosting a raffle to benefit the Museum. The winning prize is: "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" 1st Edition. This series is the biggest collector item among A.T. books since it’s been out of print since the early 1980s and remains a classic of trail literature.

We are also looking for someone to organize Saturday morning breakfast benefitting the Museum as well. Some of you remember the breakfast benefit we had at Trail Days a few years back, we'd like to have that same breakfast and participation.

The Earl Shaffer Foundation is making a very special announcement at the PA Ruck this year. We hope you can attend to hear what spokesperson, David Donaldson is going to announce.

We would also like to announce a small venue for children ages 5 to 15 this year, and every year, to meet in the hostel kitchen for an Appalachian Trail cooking party! Hostess Star, an 11 year old, will greet and meet you at 7pm in the hostel kitchen - bring your recipe and ingredients - your dishes will be served at the RuckFeast on Saturday night! Star has a gift for all attendees. Parents are welcome to assist their children if needed.

For more information you can go to our PA Ruck Google spreadsheet -
    CLICK HERE
    sign in as
    email: [email protected]
    password: trailwork
    click on the PA Ruck

You can fill in what you'd like to bring by clicking on any box and typing in your information: food, supplies, clean-up, just make sure you save your work by clicking on file, save & close. Click at the bottom of the spreadsheet for different items - it's easy !

You can also post your information here and I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.

We welcome your presentation and ideas, kindly post them here or email me privately at [email protected]

We will still and always have our Saturday noon "Soup & Chili" benefitting the Appalachian Trail Museum ! This event has always been a success, but only because of your donated soups and chilis. Everyone donates and eats real good.

The PA Ruck welcomes all: hikers and their families, friends, non-hikers. We especially welcome those who have offerings. We have a great Thru-hiker bull session and a pack tuckerization.

Your participation is important if you plan to attend to assure the PA Ruck's success....that means food, fun and fellowship.

Thanks!
    Starlyte

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!

I am hoping to get up there this year .....It ALL sounds good to me !
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

Images

Jack you weren't supposed to drink it, it is a collector. I have one sitting next to my Moxie and my Pepsi can from Thailand

Fishin Fred it sure would be GRAND if you would attend. Every year this time I wonder.....is Fishin Fred gonna make it ?

Gary it wouldn't be a Ruck without you - and I think you know that

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    Jack you weren't supposed to drink it, it is a collector. I have one sitting next to my Moxie and my Pepsi can from Thailand
    Sacrilege!

has anyone tried looking at private campgrounds in the vicinity? carlisle is close to PGF and has tons of car shows, so those guys should know where to camp with a beer...
    my brother-in-law is a car guy and has been to carlisle tons of times so i'll ask him what they do. i've been to a couple of shows with him and the car show world is much crazier than us hikers and they get to come back numerous times a year... hell, they have cars with speakers that u can't use while ur in the damn thing or u'll bleed from ur ears.

Is the new Appalachian Trail museum where they're going to put the Earl Shaffer shelter that they removed from Peter's Mountain? When does that open?

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Is the new Appalachian Trail museum where they're going to put the Earl Shaffer shelter that they removed from Peter's Mountain?
    Yes. I was one of the volunteers that helped disassemble and carry it out.

When does that open?
    That has yet to be determined, but it looks as though that'll be at Pine Grove too.
    (Just like the PA Ruck...)

I must have slept in that shelter 30 times... Do you think the museum will let me do an overnight in it for old time's sake

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

I must have slept in that shelter 30 times... Do you think the museum will let me do an overnight in it for old time's sake
    Myself and two others slept in it the last night it was still out there.
    (The night before we took it apart and carried it out)

As for letting you "do an overnight in it for old time's sake"...you'd probably have to take that up with the museum curator.
    (After it's reassembled, of course...)

I have to say I think ranger Todd is getting a bad rap. he turned a blind eye the to the debauchery that was going on and told several people as long as it is contained and everyone remains respectful, there wont be a problem. well, that did not happen at the particular camp site. i can tell you I was staying at another camp site with my dog. my fire was big, there was beer on the picnic table, and my dog was not on a leash. ranger Todd woke me up the next morning and asked very kindly to put my beer away. I apologized and put it away. he took some time to play with my dog and to complain about how much room he had given the hikers at the other camp site only to have his blind eye and generosity thrown back in his face. I have been back to pine grove several times since (as I do every year) and not once have I ever had a problem with ranger Todd. The name of the Game is respect. Respect the people that care for the place you are staying and everyone will walk away happy. That being said, I am sure that this years ruck is going to be just as fun as all the other. I don’t want any one to be discouraged from going unless you plan on being disrespectful. Than don’t bother, we don’t want you there.

Nobody to my knowledge was disrespectful. there have may been been too many tents or too many cars in some specific sites, i don't know. we try to abide by most of the rules and regulations. I think he may just get overwhelmed at seeing so many people at one gathering. but what do I know.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++