Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FT Map on CD

Thanks JaxHiker for the tip about opening the KMZ files in google earth. Makes the cd more worthwhile.....The FTA should point that out on their website or cdrom insert. For those with acrobat professional, the .pdf maps can be easily combined together into one file, eliminating the need to open each one individually. I like being able to scroll down through the collection.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Glad to help. If you don't have Acrobat Pro (as I don't) there's also an open source tool you can use to split/merge PDFs. Just download pdfmerge. So far the FTA and I haven't gotten anywhere on the GPS stuff but this would be a good thing to address as you said hf.

Do we have any update Bump?
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Gps

Do any of you know of anyone mapping the whole FT end to end using Sub meter GPS or any accurate GPS. If not wouldn't that be something that FTA can use an up to date trail map and some download able maps with Latitude and Longitude so one can upload it to there GPS. I think it would be a fun project and journey, can add in all the updates for the Guide book also with the trip. If you think i am crazy or lost in thought just let me know. What about the people that do the info gathering on the Data books and such do they sell it to the FTA or what?

aka Kudzu
    Images

That'd be nice if someone could afford it. Don't expect the FTA to buy one anytime soon. I don't think I need *that* much accuracy.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org

Nah, guidebook updates were a volunteer thing, and then I did 'em while I was staff. For putting it all in a book, I made $$ from the publisher but heck, not even enough to pay my car payments for 5 months, and that took 4 years to earn. Split royalties 50/50 with FTA since I used their map & gps data that Cricket collected. The GPS that FTA uses is extremely accurate, non-standard equipment you can't buy in a store, used for GIS. I did the Long Distance Hikers guide update and have all the data points for service in towns in KML files. I'll be backpacking with Cricket this month so maybe we can figure out something out as a new model for downloadable maps. It's doable, but it has to pass the FTA board, and so far that hasn't happened. Meanwhile, I'm collecting data for the next book, whatever form it will take. Sounds like downloadable chapters & KMLs or GPX would be the way to go.

Cheers, Navigator
    www.floridahikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    Do any of you know of anyone mapping the whole FT end to end using Sub meter GPS or any accurate GPS. If not wouldn't that be something that FTA can use an up to date trail map and some download able maps with Latitude and Longitude so one can upload it to there GPS. I think it would be a fun project and journey, can add in all the updates for the Guide book also with the trip. If you think i am crazy or lost in thought just let me know. What about the people that do the info gathering on the Data books and such do they sell it to the FTA or what?

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds good I was just curious, Maybe they can make it just like buying the paper Maps same cost and if more info is included just charge more. I just met a guy today at the 10 Trail Head N. of Juniper and he has the Guide Book so he can do the FT in sections. Someone like him mite have got the trail in sections, heck if you break it up you mite just make more funds out of it. We know what more money can do for the FT.

Images

I think I am actually ready to get started on this now. Life slowed down.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Images

Ok Jax...I have tried your tutorial and I am not getting it right or something. If you have time, anytime, can you walk me through it on the phone? I can email you my #.
    |.............|

aka Kudzu
    Images

Shoot me your # and I'll try to call this weekend.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

Images

Uh...I am headed to the Chassahowitzka River to camp and paddle this weekend. I will shoot it to you next week. Thanks so much.
    |.............|

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++