WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommendation: North GA Camping Site

Looking for some help here. I am taking a bunch of kids (friends and family) camping later this week and looking for a suitable spot to say the night, here are a couple of things I'm hoping to find:

A spot in the N. GA mountains, near Blairsville, Helen, or any of the state parks in the area.

A spot with a view preferable, but scenic nonetheless.

A spot not too far far from a parking area, with kids it can be difficult to hike further than 1.5 miles in but anything within that range should be fine.

Let me know what you think and I sincerely appreciate the help.

Respectfully,
    gh
    buford, ga

Images

Rocky Mountain, about a mile North of Unicoi Gap, has a nice view and a good campsite. Carry your water with you.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by guajirof24 View Post
    Looking for some help here. I am taking a bunch of kids (friends and family) camping later this week and looking for a suitable spot to say the night, here are a couple of things I'm hoping to find:

A spot in the N. GA mountains, near Blairsville, Helen, or any of the state parks in the area.

A spot with a view preferable, but scenic nonetheless.

A spot not too far far from a parking area, with kids it can be difficult to hike further than 1.5 miles in but anything within that range should be fine.

Let me know what you think and I sincerely appreciate the help.

Respectfully,
    gh
    buford, ga
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Rocky Mountain, about a mile North of Unicoi Gap, has a nice view and a good campsite. Carry your water with you.

Excellent suggestion Brother Skids. Quite possibly some of the best views from the actual campsite. Another one that comes to mind is an overlook about .1 of a mile south of Tray Gap. That may be a little close to the road for some folks comfort though. Skids suggestion is the best I can think of if everyone in your party can make the 1.5 mile hike to the top.

Images

Tray Mountain is nice as well. Lots of grassy area to camp on and water is at the site. Shelter and pooper there too. Not too far from the summit where there is good views.

Whitley Gap is another good one, but am not sure if it is withing the range although it should be close. There is good camping on the side trail out too it, but at the shelter there is a spring and plenty of room to camp. Its not a open view with no trees, but still nice.

Like the other said Rocky Mountain is pretty good especially if you come southbound from Indian Grave Gap.

Thank you very much, that sounds like a go. Do you happen to have coordinates to the spot? gh

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you very much, that sounds like a go. Do you happen to have coordinates to the spot? gh

Give me a minute.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Give me a minute.

34°47'33.78"N

83°42'51.30"W

This is coordinates to parking at Indian Grave Gap. Certainly the easier approach. Just be sure you take the white blazed trail from there and not the trail down into Andrews Cove. Be sure to bring water!!!

Images

Is this a backpacking trip, or car camping? Is everybody experienced. It is going to get cold as hell in the mountians this weekend.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Is this a backpacking trip, or car camping? Is everybody experienced. It is going to get cold as hell in the mountians this weekend.

That is true Jesse, I hadn't though about that. Looks like the low here is going to 27*F Saturday morning and 24*F Sunday morning. Take maybe 5 to 10 degrees off of that for Rocky Mountain 20 some odd miles northwest and some 2500 feet higher from here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    34°47'33.78"N

83°42'51.30"W

This is coordinates to parking at Indian Grave Gap. Certainly the easier approach. Just be sure you take the white blazed trail from there and not the trail down into Andrews Cove. Be sure to bring water!!!
    guajirof24, if you park at Indian Grave gap you'll be hiking South to Rocky Mountain. Just to clarify.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    guajirof24, if you park at Indian Grave gap you'll be hiking South to Rocky Mountain. Just to clarify.

Yeah, don't cross the road up the steps. I think there are steps there, aren't they?

Thanks for the directions and coordinates. That spot looks fantastic and fits all the above criteria.
    This trip is a camping trip with a short hike to the location more for the experience itself (I'm not quite sure if that makes sense). We are keeping an eye on the weather and at this point it is going to be in the low 30's with 5-15 winds Thursday night. My brother and I are experienced hikers and our wives are going to go as well, his three children (15,12,9) and my son (5). We would be arriving thurs app. noon and leaving Friday morning back to Flowery Branch. We are pretty well equipped with bags, tents, etc..., but if it looks as if the winds are going to pick up or if the temp is going to drop lower we can simply abort the mission. Having the vehicles within a 15-20 minute hike of the site does help for contingencies.
    Thoughts?

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Flowery Branch might be in the 30s, but here in Mount Airy (about 35 miles north of you) the forecast for Thursday night is 24*F with snow flurries. Add another 25 miles northwest and 2500 feet in elevation to that and I would guess at a low in the high teens to low 20s with snow. Just be careful, especially with kiddies on board!

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

With a family cluster including beginner campers I'd consider:

1 - Gooch Mtn Shelter
    2 - Whitley Gap Shelter
    3 - Raven Cliff Falls Trail
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

There is good car camping on the dirt road just south of Unicoi off 75.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    There is good car camping on the dirt road just south of Unicoi off 75.
    Yeah upper Chattahoochee campground is nice, but that developed camp might be closed for the season. There is other "non developed" camping on that road though.

Images

I'm partial to desoto falls for car camping. The campground there is really nice for a campground and it has a nice bathroom that's open year round. That may be a consideration for new campers. It's going to be empty and the hikes to both falls are scenic and short, but not too short.

Note the wind advisory/red flag/fire weather warning for north GA late this week..exercise extreme care with any campfires due to the high winds expected (which will also drive the wind chill factor down significantly)

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...=Wind+Advisory

Cloudland Canyon State Park in northwest Georgia is absolutely incredible. It offers several hiking trails, cabins, tent, RV, car camping, a frisby golf course, and much much more. See more here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++