WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    There's a new book out, "Through a Hikers Eyes" and in it the author meets a hiker going by the name Mississippi Smitty. I wonder if this was actually Minnesota Smith and he misremembered it or just changed some names to protect the innocent.
    Who said anything about Minnie being innocent?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Thank You Minnesota Smith And FaithWalker.........

I want to thank you Minnesota Smith and FaithWalker for making my day, you both uplifted me tonight!

The card was awesome and most inspiring, it moved me deeply.......

Default Minnesota Smith aided by trail angel at Adams Gap.

Hello to all you hikers. I have a cabin about 1.5 miles south of Adams Gap and along with Minnesota Smith and his vast knowledge of hiking and hikers, we are going to establish a hiker's box and a contact number for the hikers who may need some assistance along the way. I am excited to be a part of doing something like this and looking forward to meeting more nice people like Ol' Minnesota. It is cold in Alabama and will continue to be so for most of a week with lows in the single digits. Not something that we Alabamians are accustomed to experiencing. If you are in the area, contact Minnesota and he will give you means of contacting me. May you all have a wonderful and prosperous New Year.

My best,
    Gerald White (The man at THE WHITE HOUSE)

I have never met Minnesota Smith. Haven't read all the posts concerning him as I don't have the time. But from what I have taken the time to read it seems he may be misunderstood. He works hard to earn the money to take his trips. He does make some choices that I would not. But is seems that he does not depend on anyone else to help him out and does not let other opinions influence him.

Best of luck Minnesota.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    I But is seems that he does not depend on anyone else to help him out
    I do not want to make this a negative post or seem condescending of him, so if it sounds that way I apologize beforehand, but I've seen the opposite trend. Like the post above in which he is staying with someone on the trail, he relies heavily on hand-outs many times, and in many of his posts he complains about not having special treatment as a hiker (like the many posts he has made on trail conditions, amenity availabilities, etc). In my opinion, a truly independent hiker would fly much lower below the radar than he does.

Regardless, I respect the decisions he has made to be able to hike. I wish him the best times.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

He stayed with me while on his hike, was totally self-reliant, asked for nothing, expected nothing, was thankful and appreciative for what he got, and was a fine guest. He certainly wasn't in "hand-out" mode when he last visited Hanover, and assuming I'm around when he arrives this year, he's more than welcome to come by again.

Which I must say does NOT apply to everyone who's come down our driveway........

Default Minnesotasmith Channel

Minnesotasmith called Friday from Hernandes Peak. He is on the way to Blue Mountain Shelter for the night. The weather is forecasted to be between 0-3 degrees without wind chill factor in that area.

Stay tuned for more news as it becomes available. FW

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    I do not want to make this a negative post or seem condescending of him, so if it sounds that way I apologize beforehand, but I've seen the opposite trend. Like the post above in which he is staying with someone on the trail, he relies heavily on hand-outs many times, and in many of his posts he complains about not having special treatment as a hiker (like the many posts he has made on trail conditions, amenity availabilities, etc). In my opinion, a truly independent hiker would fly much lower below the radar than he does.

Regardless, I respect the decisions he has made to be able to hike. I wish him the best times.
    Why?
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” Henry David Thoreau

Default It was in his journal

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    There's a new book out, "Through a Hikers Eyes" and in it the author meets a hiker going by the name Mississippi Smitty. I wonder if this was actually Minnesota Smith and he misremembered it or just changed some names to protect the innocent.
    Baro's journal had a couple of entries about Minnesota Smith. (He has deleted it, but I commented on it in another WB thread). So I would guess he has changed the names. I haven't read the book, but the journal was definitely one of the better journals I have read.

Baro's journal, one of the funniest this year,...

Baro's journal, one of the funniest this year, describes his encounter with Minnesota Smith in this entry and the next.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=140101

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Nevermind, I found it, and it's 100x better then I thought it would be.

I know what some of you are thinking, why the bare knees, Mr. Smith?

Well I am here to tell you that MinnieSmith SCIENTIFICALLY calculated the exact # of square inches of exposed skin necessary for Vitamin D production based upon his current latitude, longitude, and seasonal weather observations.

That, my friends, is what separates a trail legend from the common riff-raff

IMO*

It's not a good idea to have exposed knees in cold weather. There's no meat to keep them warm, just bone, ligaments and tendons. You're inviting a risk of injury.

*nope, not a doctor

maybe his pants got frightened off by those gaiters?

I'm totally digging the rainbow colored waist belt.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post

I'm totally digging the rainbow colored waist belt.
    But it ain't around her waist.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Geez, you guys are getting really petty in your comments. Whatever happened to Hike Your Own Hike? They are sharing their excitement of going on a thru-hike with the group. In return, their health, habits and fashions are being picked apart. Somehow, just 'cause it's MS that makes it fair game.

You might want to think about how all this looks to newcomers to the board, watching actual hikers get held under the microscope like this.

i think its plain for all to see that MS is not the average hiker, and all the comments are in good fun.

Journal Entries
    Images

Is there an update on trailjournals yet?

Quote Originally Posted by the_black_spot View Post
    i think its plain for all to see that MS is not the average hiker, and all the comments are in good fun.
    MS certainly isn't average, neither are a lot of the knuckleheads who've posted on this thread, as in the other side of average.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    MS certainly isn't average, neither are a lot of the knuckleheads who've posted on this thread, as in the other side of average.
    i only commented on fashion styles. you, on the other hand, are calling people names. isn't that a violation of tos? have a great day..

Default Update 1/21/09 Wednesday Morning

MinnesotaSmith on his way to Lower Shoal Shelter tonight, 114 mile marker. Pine Glen Campground by Thursday which is 119.8.

Record "mile" day on Tuesday, 9.3 miles.

Only 65 miles left of the Alabama Pinhoti Trail.

Cool to cold nights with frost. Snow flurries this past Monday.

Trail closed from I-20 crossing at 66.7 on NG map, guide book number 101.0 to AL 281 crossing at 69.0 NG map, 103.3 guide book. Some of the sections, up to 0.3 North of that trail junction not currently good to hike on rainy/night, steep, narrow, long way down. Apparently, nuded for pipeline.

***MinnesotaSmith is keeping an extensive journal, hundreds of words a day, waiting in que to be transcribed by Faithwalker for the trail journal. Please look back periodically this next week. FW

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++