WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

speaking with the legond most days or once a week. alls good with them. me and bearpaw are in love, bacon exists and stars still shine. alls well from command central. billvill will be treated to a treat this warmer.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    speaking with the legond most days or once a week. alls good with them. me and bearpaw are in love, bacon exists and stars still shine. alls well from command central. billvill will be treated to a treat this warmer.
    That is wonderful Matthewski, you both deserve to be happy. Congratulations from MinnesotaSmith and Faithwalker

Raking? ROTFLMAO. That's priceless.
    Yahtzee

Perhaps some mischievious sort could go out and rake a mile or so pathway leading off the main trail and lead MS into a state of being lost.
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Quote Originally Posted by cannonball View Post
    Perhaps some mischievious sort could go out and rake a mile or so pathway leading off the main trail and lead MS into a state of being lost.
    he don't need no help there... but he does like large dogs

Default More info...

8 new trail journal entries done today and 50 more photos to come on Monday, to those interested in knowing. FW
    Last edited by FaithWalker; 01-31-2009 at 22:41. Reason: I needed too :)

Default Caught up

The trail journal is finally caught up good, bad, or indifferent. The journals are very informational. The photos section has also been updated, now 200 available to view.

Have a great weekend

Quote Originally Posted by FaithWalker View Post
    The trail journal is finally caught up good, bad, or indifferent. The journals are very informational. The photos section has also been updated, now 200 available to view.

Have a great weekend
    I'd like to hear a summation of the Alabama section of the Pinhoti Trail from him. Did he like it? What did he think of the Longleaf Pine ecosystem and the lakes? The shelters? Overall impression.
    Last edited by MOWGLI; 02-08-2009 at 17:19.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Default Short version...

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    I'd like to hear a summation of the Alabama section of the Pinhoti Trail from him. Did he like it? What did he think of the Longleaf Pine ecosystem and the lakes? The shelters? Overall impression.
    Shelters still too few (esp. south of Cheaha, where essentially absent) but AL clubs getting much of that fixed fast in northern part of Pinhoti. First 3 sections of Pinhoti don't even have a trail club, according to my official guidebook. Well-made as a rule, with some quirks (see my but capacities mostly way too small and very subject to groups swarming them. Occasionally way too close to roads. No reason Pinhoti can't be moved north of AL 148 for last 10 miles before Bull Gap. No privies/designated BMing areas (excepting only Horn Mtn, and campgrounds). Tent sites around shelters hit or miss. Water often hard to come by south of Scott Lake and some other sections, with a few places water caches not bad idea for all but fastest hikers. Several very fishable-looking lakes, such as Scott and Pine Glen areas, plus some other sections. Only section really in same league as Georgia AT for challenge is Dugger and Oakley Mountain sections. Hills otherwise very short by even GA AT standards. Trail maintenance/construction quality quite variable, though almost always well-switchbacked. Blazing extremely variable in type/quality/frequency, but most of time little difficulty following trail. Views range from nice to nonexistent (like AT in duller parts of the South). Locals totally unaware the Pinhoti exists south of Bull Gap, including an adult Boy Scout leader living 1.5 blocks from it. Mr. Parkay's maps wonderful, even indispensable (but out of date after AL in some sections.) Horse (mainly) and probably ATV trespassing issues in some places. No hostels, though couple campgrounds can substitute for to varying degrees, depending in part on time of year. Best IMO to hike Pinhoti in winter/nonweekend/nonholiday (no bugs, water easiest to get, shelters emptiest where they exist).

I have written a far more detailed commentary on www.trailjournals.com.

When do you expect to be at Springer?

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post

I have written a far more detailed commentary on www.trailjournals.com.
    Thanks for the reply.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

[quote=Shadowmoss;749888]Isn't there a quote somewhere to the effect that what you carry in your pack is a reflection of you fears?

Jellybean AT 06

so he's afraid of color blind briars and not being able to wipe correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i have never in my life heard of someone raking a trail or a campsite.

Actually I have 'raked' a few in Florida while on a crew. Especially when you are eradicating an old site so it can renew and want folks to use a new spot. By raking and brush clearing you make it somewhat fire safer and clearly indicate the desired camping area. I have seen maintaineers take the time to cut some firewood too which in Fl helps to decrease fire danger as the wood gets used up rather than becoming ground debris.

Too, I have been critical of some maintaineers efforts (see my FL Trail journal) and complimented those that make the effort to keep their section up. If also feel that I will never do enough to repay those who make trails possible for me but I try to give $$$ and my time whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    (like AT in duller parts of the South).
    There are no dull places in the South....
    Excentrict..........perhaps.

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FaithWalker View Post

Have a great weekend
    Faithwalker, Where are you posting these updates and photos? When I check on trailjournals there has been no entry since 12/21/08.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post
    Faithwalker, Where are you posting these updates and photos? When I check on trailjournals there has been no entry since 12/21/08.
    http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8162

so it appears that MS has found out that throwing rocks is a better defense against dogs than his anti-dog staff....
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

MinnesotaSmith is about put his Pinhoti Trail thru hike "in the bag". I had the opportunity to support his effort this week. Those interested in an update can read more in our Trail Journal here.

Default Tagl4ss, my new good friend, you are too modest by far...

Quote Originally Posted by Tagless View Post
    MinnesotaSmith is about put his Pinhoti Trail thru hike "in the bag". I had the opportunity to support his effort this week. Those interested in an update can read more in our Trail Journal here.
    You failed to mention:

1) that in helping me attach some tape to my staff, you have become part of a very exclusive fraternity of hikers who have done work on one of my staves (Dances With Mice and Faithwalker being the others).

2) You undertook and passed the MinnesotaSmith test. That is, you picked up my pack (fresh from a resupply and ready for 4+ days in the woods), put it on, walked 20', turned around, walked back, and put it down in a controlled fashion. Not many have done that...

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++