WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My Turn for gear list review

Below is my gear list for my upcoming thruhike (NOBO, March ’09). I’d love to shave off a few pounds from my gear if possible---where do you see room for the most savings?

I’ve left a few items’ weights blank where the weight is going to be minimal, or I just don’t know it.

Personally, I think I can find some weight savings with:

1) pocket rocket, (3 oz), canister (8 oz), (net saving 19 oz)
    2) lighter camp pants?
    3) driducks rain suit (12 oz), instead of Patagonia shell, net savings (8 oz)
    4) eat nothing but matzoh with old bay for 6 months

What do you think?

Pack:
    Osprey Atmos 65--- 3 lbs., 10 oz.

Shelter and Sleep:
    TT Contrail---1 lb., 8 oz. (do I bring the ground cloth?)
    Marmot 30 down bag with compression sack---2 lbs. 14 oz.
    Thermarest Pro Lite 3 (3/4 pad)---13 oz.

Kitchen:
    Whisperlite---15.6 oz
    20 f oz. Fuel container---15 oz (half full)
    MSR pot---11.75 oz
    titanium knife and fork—1.2 oz
    lighter and matches
    1 gatorade bottle
    2L bladder---7.6 oz
    titanium mug---5.1 oz
    spice containers--- film canisters…is there such a thing as too much old bay?

Misc:
    Leki poles---1.5 lbs.
    first aid kit
    AquaMira drops
    pocket knife---2 oz
    petzl headlamp---2.75 oz
    duct tape
    camera & charger---13 oz.
    campsuds---3 oz
    Frisbee---6 oz
    Harmonica---3.3 oz
    Eyewear (contact solution, extra lenses, case, glasses)---13 oz.
    Book---7 oz (tinker, tailor, soldier, spy by john lecarre)
    paper/pen
    Credit card/ID/phone card
    Compass
    Toothbrush/floss/paste—5 oz.
    2 bandanas
    3 cordura stuff sacks---2.5 oz
    Earplugs
    40 foot rope
    maps
    guidebook—9.3 oz (I don’t like ripping books)
    Binoculars---6.75 oz (I like birds)
    small plastic bottles for olive oil, rubbing alcohol---
    Compactor trash bags

Clothing Packed:

Montbell Alpine Parka---14.2 oz
    balaclava
    crocs--10z.
    2 pair Smartwool socks---6.5 oz.
    2 pair smartwool liners—4 oz.
    OR gloves---2.7 oz.
    Patagonia rain shell---14 oz.
    DriDucks rain pants---6 oz
    Capilene midweight long sleeve shirt---5.2 oz.
    Mountain Hardwear convertible pants---1 lb. 3 oz.
    Patagonia long john top—7 oz

Clothing Worn:
    lightweight boots--- need a new pair with some ankle support
    1 pair Smart Wool socks and liners---3 oz.
    Orioles hat---3 oz
    Patagonia long john bottom---7 oz
    Capilene long sleeve shirt---5 oz. (old ultimate Frisbee jersey)
    Marmot catalyst jacket---12 oz.
    Liner shorts---4.4 oz

Grand total (with some gaps): 396 oz or 25 lbs. before food.

I don't normally comment on these lists, but I noticed you're carrying a 30 degree bag and a 3/4 length pad. How do you sleep? Warm or cold? A 30 degree bag and 3/4 pad for a March start is not for everyone. Make sure you have enough clothes to sleep in to stay warm. You can expect some temps in the teens and low 20s with a March start, and maybe lower.

Good luck!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I'm a fairly warm sleeper--I was fine in my bag in SNP a month ago during some snow, but I definitely see your point.

I think between my longjohn top and bottom, alpine parka, and balaclava, I should be cozy in my bag. I'll find out for sure this weekend on a shakedown.

Quote Originally Posted by .5step View Post
    I'm a fairly warm sleeper--I was fine in my bag in SNP a month ago during some snow, but I definitely see your point.

I think between my longjohn top and bottom, alpine parka, and balaclava, I should be cozy in my bag. I'll find out for sure this weekend on a shakedown.
    You can always strap a closed cell foam pad to your pack until it warms up a bit. They're bulky, but don't weigh much. I sometimes wrap my thermarest in a closed cell foam pad and lash them to my pack when I backpack in winter. The extra insulation beneath me can make a big difference.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

great idea! I'll have to borrow a friend's and try it out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some observations:

for weight savings consider an alcohol stove and lighter pot
    leave dinner knife - you have a pocket knife
    consider bouncing camera charger
    tp
    hand sanitizer
    needle for draining blisters
    sunscreen
    leave frisbee, harmonica, book, binoculars until you have your trail legs - there are other things to do in the beginning
    maybe switch out a long sleeve shirt for a short sleeve

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

The stuff which doesn't go into the pack can be subtracted from your weight, such as the clothes you wear and the poles, so that takes about 2 pounds off the total.

Consider adding a silk liner for the bag if it is indeed a 30* bag. Also maybe a piece of CCF for the foot of your 3/4 pad and to use as a sitting pad. Some people will say no and some say yes to a ground cloth for the tent. Personally, I say yes to protect the floor of my expensive tent and keep it dry and clean. It can also be used in a shelter to keep your bag cleaner if the floor is all dirty.

White gas is getting a little harder to find on the trail, as most people are now using canister or alcohol stoves these days and switching to one of these will save a little weight and bulk.

The harmonica, fresbee, book and binoculars might not make it past the first chance to send them home.

Make sure your first aid kit has "New Skin" (for blisters), sun block (small roll on tube will do) and chap stick. Needle, thread and small sissors are good to have too.

All in all, you have a good start and it won't be until your on the trail that you can figure out what else you might be able to loose (or have to add). Have your pack checked out at Neel(s) gap when you get there.

Good Luck and have a good time!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A couple thoughts on the extra padding issue ...
    Age seems to be a factor here; you don't list yours, but perhaps you already know how much or little padding you need to sleep well.

I concur that a ccf pad, even a full-length one is neither heavy nor expensive, just bulky. Packing it on the outside, however, means that it's readily available for use at breaks or lunchtime, which again might be relatively nicer in March.

You questioned whether you would bring a ground cloth for use with your tent; I've seen people use a ccf pad *under* their tent so that it sort of serves as ground cloth as well as additional thermal and comfort padding. Note that once you start doing that, however, it could get wet as well as dirty/muddy, perhaps impacting carry weight. I personally used a GG polycro ground cloth this year with good luck, and kept my ccf pad inside the tent, so can't speak to the "under the tent" approach from experience.

Images

Looks like you are on the right track to not killing yourself. You will figure it out and make it better as you go along.

So, my question would be ... have you ever hiked 15 miles carrying 40 pounds on your back?

25 pounds + 5 days of food = 35 pounds + 2L of water = almost 40 pounds, give or take a harmonica or two.

You have a LOT of stuff that I would consider luxuries that I wish I could carry in my pack, but can't owing to the weight problem.

Are you really going to carry olive oil? I would yogi this off all the other hikers who are toting olive oil 2,100 miles down the trail.

[quote=.5step;748231]Below is my gear list for my upcoming thruhike (NOBO, March ’09). I’d love to shave off a few pounds from my gear if

What do you think?

Pack:
    Osprey Atmos 65--- 3 lbs., 10 oz. 58 oz

Shelter and Sleep:
    TT Contrail---1 lb., 8 oz. (do I bring the ground cloth?)
    Marmot 30 down bag with compression sack---2 lbs. 14 oz. 46 oz

Pack. A Six Moon Designs Starlite or Gossamer Gear Mariposa will carry 35 pounds and weighs less than 2 pounds (6MD 30 ozs Mariposa 21 oz both wts include optional stays)

Sleeping Bag. 800 fill power down bag. A Western Mountaineering Megalite is a 30 degree bag that weighs 1.5 pounds.
    Alternately you can get a 20degree Alpinlite for 2 pounds or a 10 degree Versalite for 2 pounds. The exact choice depends on your height and size.

Min weight savings would be with the 6 moons pack and the Alpinlite bag.
    Your wt 58+46= 104
    30 +32=64

Savings 104-64 = 44 ozs 2 lbs 12 oz.

Max savings with Megalite bag and Mariposa pack
    24+ 21=45 ozs

Max savings 104-45= 59 oz= 3lbs 11 oz.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
    So, my question would be ... have you ever hiked 15 miles carrying 40 pounds on your back?

25 pounds + 5 days of food = 35 pounds + 2L of water = almost 40 pounds, give or take a harmonica or two.

You have a LOT of stuff that I would consider luxuries that I wish I could carry in my pack, but can't owing to the weight problem.

Are you really going to carry olive oil? I would yogi this off all the other hikers who are toting olive oil 2,100 miles down the trail.
    So 40lbs on your back is what makes people scream rape these days?

He has good stuff for the big ticket items so he is not going to have to empty his bank account at Mountain Crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4FAM View Post
    He has good stuff for the big ticket items so he is not going to have to empty his bank account at Mountain Crossings.
    Yeah, his big 4 is just under 9 lb's, which isn't great, but not too bad. He'd have to spend a few $$ to drop a pound or two there and likely ain't worth it. The kitchen is a bit on the heavy side, which is the best bet for weight reduction. Other optional gear and clothes can be tweaked along the way. A 20-25 lb pack base weight is typical for an early March start.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

*If you want to bring something non-Trail related to read, that's great, so
    I wouldn't listen to the folks telling you to pitch the book. I'd go crazy
    without something good to read.

*As well as something to read, don't forget a journal/diary, which can also
    double as an address book, photo log, etc. Most hikers that don't keep a
    trip diary of some sort later wish that they had.

*I agree with the folks who've advised a lighter-weight stove. The Whisper-
    lite and fuel together weighs almost two pounds. A Pocket Rocket or some-
    thing similar, with a fuel cannister good for a week or more, weighs around
    half a pound and takes up a lot less space.

*If you think you'll want to use something like olive oil, then you should by all
    means pack your own. To constantly rely on stuff that you enjoy while let-
    ting others carry it isn't "yogi-ing". It is mooching, pure and simple, and it's
    to be avoided. Everyone carries items that other folks would consider
    "luxury" items, and that's fine. But if you want to have something handy
    the field, suck it up and carry it yourself. Nobody likes a Trail mooch.

Images

i'm thinking a 30* down bag shouldn't weigh this much... somebody help me out here please...

Thanks for the suggestions--

I'm definitely going to look into a pocket rocket or alcohol stove, and a lighter pot. Probably practice making a few soda can stoves tomorrow.

And a piece or full length ccf is definitely a great suggestion--

And I've been thinking about getting a lighter, warmer sleeping bag for the winter months, and then having my current bag mailed to me. That'll be another post asking for advice

As far as the "luxuries," I can ditch the frisbee for the start, and even the harmonica (I'm not that good)...but as Jack said, I'd go nuts without something good to read in the evenings...and I do enjoy using binoculars--

So not to be defensive, but some of these luxuries are just things that make my hikes/evenings more enjoyable.

And olive oil doesn't way that much in a small plastic bottle.

Keep the advice coming!!

I'm sorry--I don't normally do this, but I can't believe I typed "way" instead of "weigh"

Wow....embarrassing

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Well, the frisbee should go.. kinda hard to throw those things in the woods anyways, and chances are you'll be pretty tired in the beginning.

I had binoculars too (I like birdwatching) but sent them home very early on... but maybe you'll use yours more than I did mine.

You won't need the compass.

Probably won't use the campsuds much after a week or two, you just end up facing the reality that there's dirt, and it's not bad for you.

I STRONGLY recommend an alcohol stove. I used a Whisperlite myself, but have realized the error of my ways. Make the switch; it's a HUGE weight savings. (check out the supercat stove: http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html It's simple as dirt, and works reliably (no moving parts, nothing to break))

I'm surprised your titanium mug weights over 5 oz. My titanium mug AND pot weight about the same, if not less than just your mug. Are you sure it's not stainless steel?

you won't need the kitchen knife, or the matches. Stick with the bic. If it dies (rare) someone else can help you out till you get to town.

First Aid kit can probably be lightened, though I don't know what's in yours or how much it weights. Pretty much a couple bandaids, moleskin, a needle, and Ibuprophin will be fine. Maybe some neosporin. Tweezers can be useful if you can find light ones (one off a Swiss Army Knife would be best).

Some of these suggestions can be hard to believe, but trust me, you'll soon be looking for ANY way to lighten the load. A few hundred miles in, I threw out my bandaids to save weight. Yeah. My bandaids. All five of them. My first-aid was a patch of moleskin and Ibuprophin.

Sometimes we'd all do group "shake-downs" too: a group of hikers would gather around someone to go through his or her pack, everything in it, and convince them to get rid of stuff, via peer pressure. (if only such a culture could develop in mainstream America, the world would be so much better off... but that's a whole other thread, if not another forum completely).

also, don't be fooled: whether it's in your pack or not, it's weight you have to carry. The shirt on your back can't be exempt from your total weight.

Images

Here's a 30 degree Marmot goose down bag that only weights 1 lb 15 oz
    (it is a 600 fill) someone must have put a rock in yours.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46451

Panzer

Images

I'm surprised your titanium mug weights over 5 oz. My titanium mug AND pot weight about the same, if not less than just your mug. Are you sure it's not stainless steel?
    its probably an insulated double wall titanium mug. they weigh almost double that of a single wall.

Panzer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++