WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    you can do it but prepare to get laid less.
    As a guy, That is the important information.

I would recommend having a backup plan in place in case you don't stay on the trail as long as you anticipate you will.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    As a guy, That is the important information.
    Hah, that had to be a typo!

Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Hah, that had to be a typo!
    You mean like "laid off" instead of "laid less?" You think that was a Freudian slip?

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Cough, cough, sputter, sputter. Er, LK, did you mean paid less? Or is it what you said?
    Oh its what I said alright.
    It was kinda a joke, but true as well, unless you have a hiking partner you are very close to.

But paid less is there as well, but they go hand in hand a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    Oh its what I said alright.
    It was kinda a joke, but true as well, unless you have a hiking partner you are very close to.

But paid less is there as well, but they go hand in hand a lot of time.
    LMAO, this thread has everything, homelessness, mental illness and the likely hood of less sex. Well, it's funnier than a new law in NH.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Cough, cough, sputter, sputter. Er, LK, did you mean paid less? Or is it what you said?
    Any way you look at it, LK is right

Trust me an HR manager is gonna think someone who completed a 2,000 mile hike or any variation of it. What is harder in their mind getting through an 8 hour day or hiking 20 miles. The will look at you like you are superman. Someone who has drive, motivation, and a strong work ethic. Don't sweat the not having a perm address on you resume. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Not so, I hire people and depending on the situation hiking a trail does not even come close to eight hours worth of work... except for the sheer boredom of it. I like to backpack, and would be sympathetic to someone wanting a job that had just completed a thru, however I also would worry that someone who is that independent would not stick around, and would be a waste of several thousand dollars of training, and salary. It is not always wise to disclose fully your every intention to an employer. The mail address is not a big deal, most people use P.O. boxes if they move around a lot. An interview is always situational, I agree that IF you bring up your hike at all, you do so in a manner that shows your ability to complete things you have started.

Images

Get A Job
    wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by adventurousmtnlvr View Post
    someone earlier mentioned a P.O. box ... where I live in TN they still require a home address (with proof at the time getting one) ... so another suggestion is those USA Mailbox type places ... besides ... "those" appear to look like an address or apt. rather than P.O. as some places won't forward to mail to P.O. Boxes.
    I once read an online website about "distributed living" (apparently the current term for chosen homelessness) and it suggested the same thing for the same reasons.

Keep looking for a solution. It's there! Don't magnify what U see as a problem.

Here is one possible option. Even after Sylvester Stallone had several small parts as an actor and had done some commercials he found himself nearly broke with little more than a beaten up car, a script he was working on, which he later called Rocky, a few bucks, and a desire to "make" it. As he was still doing casting calls he found himself hard pressed when required to supply a contact address. At one point he was living out of his car. He made an arrangement with the owner of a Seven Eleven that allowed him to park his car in the Seven Eleven parking lot and even was granted permission to use the store addresss as his contact address.

Keep looking, keep your head up, and don't let the naysyers keep U from your dreams!

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

how do I get a USA Mailbox?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++