WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GAME 06

Default Mt Rogers conditions

If anyone knows or knows where to find information on weather conditions, snow totals, nighttime temperatures in the Mt Rogers area I would appreciate some help.

My son and I are currently planning on starting a hike between Dickey Gap and Damascus this weekend (11 Jan) and with the turn in the weather in our area (freezing rain and some snow) I need information on the conditions down there. All I can find is data for Damascus and I don't think that is sufficient.

Thanks, Wyo

there ain't no snow right now. it's been raining for 3 days.

Images

Be smart whatever you decide, I got hypothermia up there in October because I was unprepared for a section hike in October. The conditions change fast and night comes quickly.

GAME 06

LW,

Thanks. Rain and cold is fine. We have good gear and experience. I just would see no sense in starting out if there was 20 miles of 18" deep snow to slog through. We would just find a lower eleveation in such a case.

I will check in and finalize later.

Wyo

Images

If it's been raining for 3 days, and it turns to freezing anytime soon, you'll have icy conditions and that won't be fun... Better to have a few inches of snow than ice....

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Weather.com gives very accurate info for Sugar Grove, which is just over the mountains from Damascus. Sometimes I even go to Weather.com to ask what is going on outside my door. It does not fib. So, I'm saying look at both locations and subtract at least 10-15 degrees for the altitude.

Somewhere in there should be a fairly good description. We are expecting light snow in the next 24 hours at Sugar Grove, but that is no problem. The real problem is the wind. It is fierce. And I have ponds in the pasture across the road that have never been there in the past four years.

If you were going out today, I'd say "No way, not if you are doing this as an enjoyable thing." It would be great for testing gear in harsh conditions though.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

If you want to use the internt you may get more accurate information by using Whitetop, VA as your search point. Or maybe look at wunderground.com; it links you to a weather station that is in Grayson Highlands park.

Best bet is to ask some of the folks in Damascus or call one of the outfitters there. I normally call Mount Rogers Outfitters {276.475.5416} and get the latest scoop from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    If anyone knows or knows where to find information on weather conditions, snow totals, nighttime temperatures in the Mt Rogers area I would appreciate some help.

My son and I are currently planning on starting a hike between Dickey Gap and Damascus this weekend (11 Jan) and with the turn in the weather in our area (freezing rain and some snow) I need information on the conditions down there. All I can find is data for Damascus and I don't think that is sufficient.

Thanks, Wyo
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...opnav_outdoors

see www.averyweather.com

click on forecast for Beech Mt.That is the most accurate for Grayson Highlands

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

At the moment, its just light flurries and possible cresting streams.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    possible cresting streams.
    possible? they're overflowing like a mofo. have been all day

Appalachian Trail Planner

Link to every shelter on the trail and there weather currently. Also has past weather trends, and some information.

++ New Posts ++