WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default One Leg needs help

I've been following his trek via his journal on his website. He's had some problems with the leg but he seems to be doing alright. He was entering the Smokies at his last posting.

At his last posting he said his money was running out and he's asking for donations. It's not only him, he's also has his wife and six kids following in a camper.

He has a page on his website http://www.onelegwonder.com/ just click on the contact button to make donations.

Thanks...and there's nothing in this for me. One Leg does not know I made this post.

He could sell the camper, save a lot of gas money.

Obviously he didn't plan well at all if he's broke by the Smokies. His whole "hike" is a circus. No money from me.

Images

Default Hiking Houdini

I think I'll send him something because what he will learn if he suceeds is more important than what he will lose if he fails. Hike on Scott!!
    aesop
    "Good night, Mary Ellen."

Images

You always learn more from failure than from success. Broke by the Smokys? Yeah, Wolf is right on this one. What would that cost? About $60 is about right for me.

Default Interesting

Out of funds by the Smokies?
    First time I ever heard of that.
    I'll be following 'the rest of the story'.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

I met and spoke with Scott and his family a few days ago in Hot Springs. He didn't mention money problems, nor was he actively soliciting donations.

The people who are making unkind comments about this matter without having first-hand knowledge are doing Scott a dis-service. He has made no secret of the fact that folks are welcome to donate to his hike---if they choose to do so. People that want to help him achieve his dream are free to do so; people who aren't interested in helping him are likewise free to do what they wish. But for folks to make comments about him and his family, without knowing the man, his motives, or character---well this to me seems kind of mean-spitited. Surely we have worthier things to discuss.

Images

Did you check out the financial dislosure, basically if he lost the RV he would have an extra $1,025 instead of a $12,000 deficit. I don't know if he "needs" the RV and 7 person trail support team despite his handicap, I guess that is for him to decide. But with $10,000 collected to date and the fact that he is already running out of funds by the Smokies leads me to belive that the financial end of this trip isn't worked out very well.

By the way, I am not downing this guys hike or anything, it just seems like there could be a better way. I hope he does makes it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Hey Jack, remember a few years back you and Wingfoot slammed "The Family" without ever meeting them? Practice what you preach.

broke by the smokies...? good times.

he might be the first to do something afterall.

i think blue jay hit the nail on the head. the RV and road crew has got to eat away at the funds pretty quickly.

i wish him the best. maybe i'll kick in a few bucks so the family can eat.
    Clyde
    (Bonnie & Clyde)
    MEGA '98

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by clyde
    i think blue jay hit the nail on the head.

the BLUE JAY always hits the nail on the head and drives it home .....

"The sneakiest form of literary subtlety, in a corrupt society, is to speak the plain truth. The critics will not understand you; the public will not believe you; your fellow writers will shake their heads. Laughter, praise, honors, money, and the love of beautiful girls will be your only reward."

the words of Edward Abbey
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

I also hope he continues.

tideblazer
    Images

Just wondering... does anyone know if the first guy who did it had his whole family to go with him?

Wolf raised a good point - "the Family" did it all together on the trail, with everyone walking, even the little ones (whom I met, and they were incredible children far above par). If it is so important that they all go as to require donations, why don't they walk? I mean hell, if their dad can do it with one leg....

If not, then maybe he should try another year when they can afford it (or give up the bus). Maine is a long way from Tennessee.

Images

I don't think it matters what his motives are or how nice his family is: To be low on cash by the Smokys is just plain funny. Then again, I met (in 02) someone who was broke by NOC, so OneLeg can't claim a record there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Obermeyer
    I've been following his trek via his journal on his website. He's had some problems with the leg but he seems to be doing alright. He was entering the Smokies at his last posting.

At his last posting he said his money was running out and he's asking for donations. It's not only him, he's also has his wife and six kids following in a camper. He has a page on his website http://www.onelegwonder.com/ just click on the contact button to make donations.Thanks...and there's nothing in this for me. One Leg does not know I made this post.

Thanks for posting this J.O.!
    here's "OneLeg"'s last trail journal entry:

04/17/04

Just a quick note to let all that I am well & still on the trail. I do not have the time right now to post journals, as I am on a time-limited computer. I have made it 160 miles thus far, the Fontana Dam area. I will enter the Smokies tomorrow morning. Journals will be posted as soon as I am able to get to a computer where I am not time-limited. Know that I am well & still hiking. We're also still in need of financial sponsors. When we started, we had funds available for 6 weeks on the trail. We're at 4 weeks, and funds are depleted, but I'm still walking by faith. Anyway, I'm gone for now. Look for the journals to be posted within a week or so.

-Scott

i hope some of you...will contribute knowing that his motives are genuine.
    hindsight being what it is...he probably didnt financially plan as well as he shouldve...but thats past now. Thanks for the positive comments Jack!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Journal Entries
    Images

I have talked to Scott and he seems like a real nice guy. I really hope him well and want him to succeed. But Having a family follow yu in an RV for 6 months or more is not cheap. I know he wanted to include his family in on this hike. But when you start out a 6 month vacation driving around in an RV with children you have to realize that it is not only going to cost money for just the gas.

Like Rock said I am not downing the guy. I have high hopes for him. He just needs to make a decision on what to do now. If this is truly the case.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Not a great plan. Started with only enough money for 6 weeks? He went out of the gate with the expectation that others would fund his trip either A. out of pity, or B. out of an interest in seeing of a leg proesthetic can be made to do the trip. I'm not sure I can rally behind this. Sounds to me like perhaps he needed to get his funding in order before he stepped out the front door.

Granted I've got a real narrow picture of things here, but I'm just not that big on thru-hikes that depend upon the kindness of others for the majority of their support. Independence, self-reliance, personal responsibility are all things that are important to me. This seems to run counter to all of them.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Default One leg

First of all I met One Leg just before he started his hike. I know his experience with the AT was really limited. I've hiked some of the other trails he has hiked like Cumberland Gap and it's nothing like the AT. His determination was inspiring so I sent him a few bucks, it didn't kill me.
    If you don't want to send him any money that's fine but JUST SHUT UP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Obermeyer
    First of all I met One Leg just before he started his hike. I know his experience with the AT was really limited. I've hiked some of the other trails he has hiked like Cumberland Gap and it's nothing like the AT. His determination was inspiring so I sent him a few bucks, it didn't kill me.
    If you don't want to send him any money that's fine but JUST SHUT UP.
    Now wait just a gosh dang minute. First you ask us to give money then you tell us to Shut Up. Even I, an ass, would not be so rude.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default maybe connected maybe not

met 2 E.R. docs at Curley Maple Gap Shelter yesterday, noticed the female doc (the duo is called Roman Noodles) is already in an ankle brace....i took the photo of the shelter to post here and then noticed their packs...Arcteryx Bora 80's obviously packed to the gills, in front of the shelter was her 'lounger' which she said weighed only 12oz.......I asked how the ankle was doing and she replied that it was funny that she had never had ankle pain before..as we walked away we thought it interesting a doc had not made the connection between the ankle and the 45 pound bora.
    point is, here are 2 who have the cha-ching, who are obviously intelligent but will not make it for weight reasons. One-Leg may fail due to financial reasons, regardless people either fail or succed for one reason or another. I think it is almost always the individual's choices that lead to either.
    Should I have given the docs a lecture on pack weight reduction? is that lecture the same as sending money to One-Leg?
    Should someone tell him to send the welcome wagon home and put the contribution money to use on food,shuttles,whatever?
    I dont think any biped here would not wish to see him victorious despite not being the first but how much do you wish to share in his victory?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++