WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: merrell's

Images

Default merrell's

i'm about to hit the "purchase this item" on a pair of moab ventilators
    http://www.merrell.com/US/Product/NZ...entilator.aspx

then i saw these:
    http://www.merrell.com/US/Product/NZ...s/Deflect.aspx

thoughts? other than the small weight difference?

use: thru of PA in may/june, other 3 season hiking
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

i have a pair of the first ones. IMO they arent great for the woods. i have an older pair of merrells (not sure which model) that i like to hike in much better.

Images

By all means go with your first link - the Moab Ventilators. I'm using them now and have had great results. The reason I would pass on the second ones for backpacking is the stretchy laces. Bought a similar pair of Merrells with those type laces and because the laces stretch, you cannot 'lock' your foot back against the heel in your shoe, thus your toes will jam into the front of the shoe during downhills. Growing back a big toenail at the moment! It was a bad one.

I've used the stretch lace ones for casual walking and about wore them out. They are fine for doing some walking miles around the 'hood, but I will never buy any shoe/boot with those stretchy laces again.

Every pair of Merrells I have ever owned has broken down within 3 months. Unfortunately, I didn't learn until the third pair. I blew out the goretex of some chameleons just going to work at my IT job. Not exactly a demanding activity...

Images

TMI has that effect on things in middletown zoid! hmm about the 1st time i've heard some negative feedback about merrells.

summit i've seen your posts about the other merrells and your susquent toe problem. but wasn't that concerning a pair of stretchy shoes and not stretchy laces? i'm sure there's some sort of difference
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

I used to wear Merrell Boots in the early 90's - they were well made and ong lasting (several years minimum under Rough Trail and off Trail hiking.. I think the Suede and Nylon boots they now sell are poorly made and do not last long. I also think the soles are thinner than they could be. I will never buy another pair of Merrells again.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I have a pair of Chameleons that I have beat the crap out of. Gore Tex still holds up after four years of abuse. Still wear them on the Trail. The only thing I have had to do is replace the insoles.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    TMI has that effect on things in middletown zoid! hmm about the 1st time i've heard some negative feedback about merrells.

summit i've seen your posts about the other merrells and your susquent toe problem. but wasn't that concerning a pair of stretchy shoes and not stretchy laces? i'm sure there's some sort of difference
    Awesome memory! You are correct in that my 'stretch Chameleons' had both stretchy fabric and laces, but I think you would still experience a degree of 'toe banging' with stretchy laces. I wouldn't risk it, especially on a fairly long hike in the rugged PA like you are planning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I used to wear Merrell Boots in the early 90's - they were well made and ong lasting (several years minimum under Rough Trail and off Trail hiking.. I think the Suede and Nylon boots they now sell are poorly made and do not last long. I also think the soles are thinner than they could be. I will never buy another pair of Merrells again.
    Interesting! So what do you wear now-a-days? I'm thinking of trying a different brand next time, although I've been pleased with Merrell. My current ones are a free replacement of the ones I initially purchased due to one toe coming unglued. I really like the traction of my current ones.

The moabs I wear to work (IT Job) just got replaced because the tread wore down to nothing... they didn't break apart and lasted almost a year (I probably should have replaced them a little sooner). I haven't worn out the ones I hike in yet unfortunately...

Images

well i checked out some new balances at the local store, and i really loved the fit of the 840's, but am afraid the sole is too thin for PA. any thoughts?

Captain Ozzie

I hate merrell, I bought some chameleons and hiked some of VT in them..grips blew I slipped on stream crossing on dry rocks and my feet hurt the entire time. Not to mention in that short time they started to fall apart. I couldn't wait to get back in some garmonts(took me from VT-GA)...I would never recommend any merrell product ever.

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

It's easy to see from reading these replies how individual one's boot choices are. Anecdotal responses can give you a feel for quality and durabilty of a certain brand (to help you narrow your choice), but you won't know for sure until you try 'em.

So here's my anecdotal two cents:
    I've hiked in only Merrells (now on my third pair) since 2002 and love the fit, grip, and durability. Right now I'm in the Chameleon Wrap Gore Tex VCR - view them at http://www.merrell.com/US/Product/NZ...e-Tex-XCR.aspx .

Happy hiking.

Images

Summit, I wear New Balance 80X series on the AT. For climbing and trips in the NE, I wear FGL Asolo Powermatic 200's, which I really like.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

You could always change the laces, right?

I like merrels, only went through two pair on my thru hike (well, one, since the other pair is still alright). They were chameleons; I wore the first pair (found in a hiker box at Standing Bear Farm!) to death; when I found them it already had a busted seam* on the outside of the right shoe, at the base of the pinky toe. By the time I got to Kent, CT, it was about two inches long, was accompanied by several other holes and tears at other points and on the other shoe, and were almost smooth on the bottom. I promptly bought a new pair of the same shoe, though looking back I'm not sure why. They're kinda heavy, had no waterproofing either. But I was afraid to get something unknown, and thus, possibly even worse.

*If you're wondering, I took the already-worn out shoes to replace the ones I had at the time, which were just some addidas running shoes that had melted by the fire my first night in the Smokies... they had sorta shrunk at the melted points, which seriously hurt my feet. Thus, I was actually trading up. Put some real miles on those babies; always wondered how many they already had on when I found them...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    I have a pair of Chameleons that I have beat the crap out of. Gore Tex still holds up after four years of abuse. Still wear them on the Trail. The only thing I have had to do is replace the insoles.
    I hike PA all the time cause its my home state and i have no issues and nothing but great things to say about my chameleon evo's ... People like to OMG DON"T DO GORTEX ... personally ... they dry just fine, they keep my feet from being a sweat bog and causing blisters ... so if my feet are happy, why wouldn't i use um? ... There a good boot .. can't complain about 2lbs 2ounces a pair either eh ..

http://www.merrell.com/US/Product/NZ...-Gore-Tex.aspx

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    You could always change the laces, right?
    I suppose you could, not very thick ones as the eyelets are kinda small.

Images

i went w/ vasque mantra's. i was pretty close to pickign up the velocity's, but opted for a tougher shoe. the all mesh scared me for a long hike, as i'll undoubtedly encounter sand and the like...
    those in the harrisburg area. wildware is having a sale on nearly all their footwear

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I suppose you could, not very thick ones as the eyelets are kinda small.
    You'll be fine. I replaced mine with regular running-shoe laces.

++ New Posts ++