WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Crocs?

Default Crocs?

This is a pretty specific question but, do any of you guys/gals know the exact weight of a pair of size 11 crocs? (preferably the kind with the back strap and holes in top)

Reason being, I just bought a pair of Teva's online and they are a bit heavier than advertised , so i'm wondering if I can save some weight by switching to the crocs.

Any help would be much appreciated...thanks everyone

He didn't mention his size, but I imagine the weight is pretty close http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ht=CROCS+heavy

Images

Just now weighed on postal scale:

Men's Size 10 Crocks - 12 oz/pr
    Men's Size 9-10 Dollar General knock-offs - 6 oz/pr

I obviously have both, find the Dollar General knock-offs very durable, lighter, more comfortable, and only $6. I have the same pair for three years now, wear them daily, hiking or at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclegorb View Post
    This is a pretty specific question but, do any of you guys/gals know the exact weight of a pair of size 11 crocs? (preferably the kind with the back strap and holes in top)

Reason being, I just bought a pair of Teva's online and they are a bit heavier than advertised , so i'm wondering if I can save some weight by switching to the crocs.

Any help would be much appreciated...thanks everyone

Just weighed mine. Crocs brand w/back strap size xxl 12-13. Weight from my digital postal scale for the pair is 12.80 ozs. Close to a POUND! Yours should be just under my weight. 11oz would be safe.
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” Henry David Thoreau

Images

One thing I don't like about the Crocks:

I used them in '06 hiking in PA. At the end of a long day, if I slipped into the Crocks without socks, the rather large nubs on the insole was very uncomfortable on my tender feet. I have not experienced this with the Dollar General knock-offs. The nubs in these are much smaller. Course it could have had something to do with the rocky PA trail, but I don't think so.

Out of curiosity...

Of those of you who have thru-hiked, how many rivers and creeks did you have to ford? And how many times did you take the time to put on your crocs/camp shoes before you did so?

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

I buy mine from Allheart.com

http://www.allheart.com/comfortclogs...int=clogbanner

2 pr (don't have to be the same size) for $20.98.

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclegorb View Post
    Out of curiosity...

Of those of you who have thru-hiked, how many rivers and creeks did you have to ford? And how many times did you take the time to put on your crocs/camp shoes before you did so?
    Not many at all. 2008 was a pretty wet year, and I didn't have to ford any until Maine, save for the one at the CT/MA border. In Maine I forded maybe 5.

Everything else was rock-hoppable or had a bridge.

And I only crossed in my boots one time, because it was downpouring and my shoes were already soaked. The rest of the time I went barefoot, or in crocs.

Images

We started with Tevas in 2007 and then discovered "Nothinz" - look like Crocs but are lighter and more comfortable (Crocs have a feeling that just creeps me out). I still love my Tevas for walking and day hiking but I wouldn't want to carry them.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Crocs are light and comfortable, until you step on a small twig sticking up around camp and it goes through the clog and into your foot! Man it hurts! This has happened more than once.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The knock-offs did not help my tender ankle and tibialis tendonitis condition though. I had ankle pain with them, and switched to the real crocs in Franklin. Used them the whole way and worth the weight. Held up super too, I am still wearing them tonight.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Imitation Crocs are the way to go. They're significantly lighter, and I bought my pair for around $5. It's a low risk investment. If you try them and don't like them, you've only wasted the price of a Happy Meal. Personally, I love mine after a day of hiking.

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

I had "Happy Soles" (i think that's what they're called). I'm not impressed with crocs or their knockoffs, didn't find them comfortable. I threw mine out after I finished the trail, and would go with sandals if I ever buy camp shoes again. For now, I'll stick with my moccasins.

I like Cloggins better, have replaceable inserts, one rubber, the other kinda a cloth, smooth, fits better! Two guys started Crocs, they split, Cloggins is the other ones company! ..............Crawl
    Past the dreaming, into the coming true! "Me"

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Amazing camp shoes.

++ New Posts ++