WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by traildust View Post
    Hiker Hostel. Lee and Josh are saints to many hikers getting started and needing help with a shuttle. A great way to start your hike and be fresh and ready for the journey.

To judge the best is so hard. Depends on when you got there, how much help you needed, etc...
    For the price this place was an absolute steal....... Beautiful house, great people!

My favorite was one of the frat houses at Dartmouth, but I forget which one. Lots of free beer, pool tables, poker, free of charge, and all of Hanover next door. Alas, I hear most of the frats are no longer hosting thru-hikers anymore, so I guess I'll have to cross Hanover off my list as my favorite place for R&R.
    Other than that, I'll take Pine Ellis in Andover, with Shaw's and the Holy Family church barn in Pearisburg running tied for second.

Images

My two favorite (for different reasons) are Shaw's in Monson, and the Jail Hostel in Palmerton. Shaw's, because the people were great, it was comfortable (the beds and the shower), and the breakfast was very good- company and food. The town was also great- the general store was very nice. Jail hostel, because the bunk room was very much appreciated after a wet week and the company was very good. (It isn't actually a jail, just the cement basement of the municipal building) It was bare, but I was fine with that. And Bert's across the street was the best breakfast (a fifties style diner). And the grocery store had everything you could need.

Just talked with the folks at Hiker Hostel. They seem to know whats right and do it all. Four stars !!!!!

The Barn,Kincora, The Cabin.

I stayed at Mason Hill in Cheshire, MA this past summer and it was great. A bit pricey at $25 but the place was top notch. Down comforters and bath robes and a extremely peaceful setting.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BooBoo View Post
    The Barn,Kincora, The Cabin.
    All greart places. I have an especial fondness for the Cabin. But my special place remains Rusty's, located just south of Shenendoah National Park.

Weary

Images

I'm still a big fan of Elmer's "Sunnybank Inn" in Hot Springs - but Bob Peoples still remains the "Moses" of his part of the trail!

they all do the same...... take care of us ........so in my book none are better than another............

Upper Goose Pond. Just Cuz.

Images

Sunnybank Inn.
    Hi. I'm Bacon, he's Hot Dogs, and we're here for the Mountain Dew.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    The Cabin in Maine (currently closed though)

But enjoyed Kincora very much as well. Bob is a super human being.
    The Cabin reopened in midsummer 2009 because the other hostels in Andover were running out of space and hikers needed a place to stay. When I talked to Marge and Earle at Thanksgiving, next year plans were a little indefinite, but they sounded to me like they were very likely to be back in business in 2010.

Running a hostel involves a lot of time, constant pressures, and a few worries. But Marge has been an avid hiker her entire life. She enjoys meeting and talking with young people and hikers in general.

Weary

Images

Is it true that the trees just part for Bob on their own when he's doing trail work?

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    The Cabin reopened in midsummer 2009 because the other hostels in Andover were running out of space and hikers needed a place to stay. enjoys meeting and talking with young people and hikers in general.

Weary
    I can attest to this. . . it was so rainy and folks were more apt to duck off the trail, I'd always stayed at Pine Ellis but they were full so we got the last 2 beds at the Guest House and there was literally no room at the Inns in Andover. . . what a rainy summer. . .

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Also not a hostel but one of the most interesting places I've stayed is the Doyle (on July 4th no less).

i like the hostel at lwolfs house. it just opened and its free cleen and all you can eat all the time. 24 hours!
    matthewski

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    i like the hostel at lwolfs house. it just opened and its free cleen and all you can eat all the time. 24 hours!
    you forgot free beer too.

no. aint no drinkin allowed at lwolfs brand spanking new shinny food filled 24 hour hostel. but i hear its comming soon.
    matthewski

My favorite hostel is, well, a hostel..Anywhere I can get a day off from respite of the trail.. just relax with good ole' folk...

Just my 2 cents...

Oh, since Neels Gap is the only place I have stayed at I have got to say, Walasi-yi,, Cool Breez and Pirate really make you feel at home..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

i like hostel . this planet has alot.
    matthewski

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++