WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Walk with Wingfoot?

Voters
151. This poll is closed
  • You better believe it. Learn from the master firsthand.

33 21.85%
  • Uh ... he's doing the AT? Time to do the PCT.

22 14.57%
  • Chance of a lifetime!

22 14.57%
  • Yeah I'll hike with him (plotting devious tricks)

14 9.27%
  • No Way

60 39.74%
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Walk with Wingfoot?

Wingfoot will be doing the AT again in 2005. Would you hike with him?

Images

Oh Man....There Goes the neighborhood.

Umm, Yeah I'd hike with him if he'd send me free copies of the Planning Guide

and the Handbook.....and of course he'd have to carry my pack

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by U-BOLT
    Wingfoot will be doing the AT again in 2005. Would you hike with him?

yea...i'll be section-hiking in 2005....will he carry my pack too?
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

Please folks, a little sanity here. Love him or hate him, he is not the enemy. He does not deserve this unprovoked poll. IMHO Remember, he was THE source of information before Whiteblaze. Be Safe

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome
    Please folks, a little sanity here. Love him or hate him, he is not the enemy. He does not deserve this unprovoked poll. IMHO Remember, he was THE source of information before Whiteblaze. Be Safe
    Yes, leave the guy alone. Is he attacking you? No

I agree, Wingfoot was THE trail guy for most of the 90's. I personally enjoyed his company and advice tremendously during my 1995 thru-hike. Something happened to him between then and now, but maybe some time on the trail as a thru-hiker again will heal those wounds, whatever they are.

Cut the guy some slack. After all, you don't have to read his website or listen to his opinions, you can always walk away.

Personally I would like to spend some time on the trail with Wingfoot, just as I have spent time on the trail with Warren Doyle and even Ward Leonard. Trail people are cool, especially on the trail itself. Many of us come into the best of ourselves on the trail. (OK Ward is still, well, nutty on the trail or off, but he's got a legitimate excuse.)
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Angry I'd rather hike ....

with Wingfoot than many of the recent posters here on WhiteBlaze. Quite frankly, as a mostly lurker on both WhiteBlaze and Trailplace I find the behavior here on WhiteBlaze towards Wingfoot to be much more offensive than anything I've seen frrom Wingfoot. He is operating his own place as he sees fit. We might not like the way he does it or agree with all of his notions, but it's his place and we'd do well to remember that when on his site you are a guest at his place. Here on WhiteBlaze you might not have the iron fist ruling over the forums but you do have a lot of very untoward obsession with calling Wingfoot out whenever possible. The recent rise in threads devoted specifically to criticizing Wingfoot, especially those started by the adminstration of this web site, is tarnishing WhiteBlaze and all those who participate. So yeah, given a choice I'd gladly hike with Wingfoot and probably come away enriched for having done so.

Well, I had to choose something... I guess each person is a master of what they think.

I'd be happy to walk with just about anyone as long as they did not pose a threat to my health or happiness.

I'd love to hear Wingfoot's view of the history of the trail. He has some very strongly held beliefs. It would be great to hear from him why this might be.

I'd love to debate some principles with him, without the risk of being banned from the discussion.

I'd love to spend some time to get to know the person instead of the web personna.

As a newbie to long distance hiking, I'd love to have a few moments to share who I am, what I believe, and where my perception of the trail is heading.

I'd continue to hope that our talking, and walking led to the potential for growth for both of us. Perhaps I would change my mind about some fundamental part of the way I view the trail. Perhaps he would. Perhaps not.

I'd love to spend time walking with any of the strong personalities on Whiteblaze as well, for much the same reasons. The list is long. Not to leave anyone out, but a number of miles with any of the following would be very worthwhile:

- Warren Doyle
    - Lone Wolf
    - Jaybird
    - Blue Jay
    - Amazing Grace
    - attroll
    - Sgt Rock

and that is just scratching the surface...

An evening or 10 sitting around the cowboy TV, learning from any fellow hiker, is a lifetime experience.

Walk well!
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

I don't think I'm worthy to be on that list, but man, that would be one hell of a great time.

Default Glad to hear it!

I'm glad that Dan is planning a 2005 thru-hike. I hope it happens. He is a passionate educator who desires to help people rather than hurt them - just like the trail is for the pilgrims upon it.
    Since I will be on the trail as well in 2005, I hope to be able to walk and talk a few miles with him along our respective journeys.
    I enjoy conversing with other travelers on their way to becoming.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle
    Since I will be on the trail as well in 2005, I hope to be able to walk and talk a few miles with him along our respective journeys.
    I enjoy conversing with other travelers on their way to becoming.
    Warren,

I will be starting at Mt. Rogers, northbound about mid March 2005. If you are doing a thruhike similar to others you have led, it will be interesting to see where y'all pass me. I look forward to meeting you somewhere on the trail.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

I guess I'll come out of retirement too.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I guess I'll come out of retirement too.
    You just bought a Harley, Fat Boy chance of that.

Images

I would love to hike with the guy, see what he is like outside of the internet. Since people don't feel like he has much legitimacy anymore since he has not hiked for a while, the hike will improve his reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome
    Remember, he was THE source of information before Whiteblaze.
    That's complete nonsense.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I'm sure I'll be doing part of the AT in 2005, not sure which sections yet, still working on 2004. I would love to meet up with Warren, Wingfoot, and anyone else who's passionate about the outdoors, hiking, and the AT. This year I'll be going from Monson to Baxter and will probably do section hikes in NJ and Vermont.

Images

I am amazed I made the list.

Anyway, I used to really like WF's TrailPlace, but now I just sort of stay out of his way. Maybe he needs to get out on the trail again and hike. Hell, I know I do.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 04-26-2004 at 09:10.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej

Quote Originally Posted by max patch
    Max, I am willing to accept that you are/were completely unaware of all the other AT information sources other than Dan that were available before WB.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 04-21-2004 at 21:06. Reason: Removed a comment I regret making.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

I'd love to hike with Wingfoot and talk to him away from the computer and internet. I'm sure he'd add quite a lot to a conversation, he's very opionated. I'm glad he's getting back on the Trail
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++